FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Swapping a head in the car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Swapping a head in the car?

Has anyone tried to replace a head with the engine still in the car? Is there enough room to do it?

My passenger side head encountered a few issues during the first start and the exhaust cam and journal are pretty scored. I think it's too deep to polish and run, Some metal is blocking the #3 cylinder exhaust cam oil port which is what caused my issue.
    IMG_20181226_164321.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, January 1977, RIT parking lot (Rochester ny)
    Pontiac 350, needed a valve job in 20 degrees. Worked for 20 minutes rest for 20 minutes inside. So yes, possible. Just depends on how bad you need to and how poor you are...

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KenWilkinson View Post
    Yup, January 1977, RIT parking lot (Rochester ny)
    Pontiac 350, needed a valve job in 20 degrees. Worked for 20 minutes rest for 20 minutes inside. So yes, possible. Just depends on how bad you need to and how poor you are...
    Ken, he is talking about a Subaru boxer motor. I do think you can do it in the car but it would require to remove some parts as well as maybe tilting engine downward on that side, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got triggered by my memory. 😀

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Ken, he is talking about a Subaru boxer motor. I do think you can do it in the car but it would require to remove some parts as well as maybe tilting engine downward on that side, IMO.
    What's the reason for the downward tilt?

Post Thanks / Like
    There is enough space in the 818 to remove and replace the heads, but to do it you must first remove the timing belt cover, timing belt, and cam sprockets. Since there is only about 2 inches of working space to the firewall, it will be difficult if not impossible. Removing the seats, firewall panels and perhaps the fuel tank would give you more working space. I think pulling the engine (with transaxle) is easier, . . . unless you are a dentist who likes working in small spaces.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    There is enough space in the 818 to remove and replace the heads, but to do it you must first remove the timing belt cover, timing belt, and cam sprockets. Since there is only about 2 inches of working space to the firewall, it will be difficult if not impossible. Removing the seats, firewall panels and perhaps the fuel tank would give you more working space. I think pulling the engine (with transaxle) is easier, . . . unless you are a dentist who likes working in small spaces.
    Well, I guess I'm past the hard part then! I've already removed the timing covers and cam sprockets so I could pull out the passenger side exhaust cam. It was made simpler since my car is not complete and I don't have a rear firewall, seats, or panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good work. I should have checked your web site and Georgia Tech creds before I said you'd have a tough time. Be sure to post pics and info to help others following you.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).