Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Electrical Confirmation question on Gen 3 Dash

Post Thanks / Like

Electrical Confirmation question on Gen 3 Dash

Hi Everyone, Merry Christmas!!!!

So i have completed installation of the Ron Francis wiring system from factory Five. No headlights, tail lights etc are not installed.

So i wanted to confirm my dash wiring so i went and got my new battery and installed it.

When i turned on my kill switch, my right green dash flasher light began flashing. I figured that the right flasher was on. But it wasnt. I moved the switch to the left side but i have nothing.

My four way flasher is also not functioning

My gage lights are functioning except for my TACH. Im using Auto meter from factory five. Headlights are working and so is my high beam lights (blue dash light)

So my question, for my signals and flashers to work properly, do i need my headlamps, tail lamps and signal lights hooked up to close the circuit???

I have attached two pictures of my switches. One is my flasher and the other is my signal.

thankyou
    Nelson

IMG_2698.JPGIMG_2697.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    yes you will need the bulbs installed for the flashers to work.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Automan,

The hazard switch wiring doesn't look right based on your pictures. You want to use the On-Off-On switch for the turn signals with the single gray power lead on the center pin and the two three-wire bundles on the left and right pins. For the hazards, you will use the six-pin switch with the blue and green wires connected to either the left-most or right-most pins and the red two-wire pair to the center pins.

Dave

Sorry for the blurry hazard switch picture, and as was already said you need to have the bulbs installed for the turn and hazard signals to work.
    Last edited by Papa; 12-27-2018 at 06:15 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes you need incandescent bulbs for regular mechanical/thermal type flashers to work. Since the Coupe comes with LED's for both front and rear turn/hazard/brake/running lights, you'll need to change to solid state flashers (recommended) or add a resistor for load (no longer the best choice). You could test the circuit with the existing flashers by temporarily using incandescent bulbs if you have some. Otherwise, change out the flashers.

Your turn signal switch is wired OK. Your hazard switch is not. The pink hazard feed wire goes to the center terminal and is jumpered to the other side. That looks correct. But then you want both left and right on the same pair of terminals either at the top or bottom of the switch, depending on switch orientation. With the switch off, nothing happens. With the switch on, +12V from the pink feed wire is applied to both left and right circuits. I suspect that mis-wire is causing the problem you're seeing.

These circuits aren't related to your tach. So that's something else.
    Last edited by edwardb; 12-27-2018 at 06:23 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thankyou so much!!!!

As soon as i moved the wire to the same side on the hazard switch, when i turned them on,, both green lights began flashing correctly!!!! Sweet!!!

And the signal switches now work on the dash correctly!!!! Double Sweet!!!

The tack is odd. That's wired correctly as per Ron Francis diagram pics. but no lighted gauge. I guess the gauge itself could be faulty.

Here is a pick. The red wire is attached to the brown from the harness.

IMG_2699.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Check for power on the light wire when the switch is on. If you have power there, it's likely the gauge.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    What happens if the gauge is faulty will factory five replace it or is it just SOL buy a new one?

I guess my overarching question is what the warranty if any in these type of instances?

Post Thanks / Like
    If a part is bad contact FFR by phone, they will usually replace defective parts.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    The tack is odd. That's wired correctly as per Ron Francis diagram pics. but no lighted gauge. I guess the gauge itself could be faulty.

Here is a pick. The red wire is attached to the brown from the harness.

IMG_2699.JPG[/QUOTE]

Ok, so i got it working properly. I reversed the red wire and the white wire. I was wondering why the brown lead would go to the LAMP and the White lead would go to the +12v voltage. White wire was for lamps and the brown was for power. but i followed the Ron Francis pic on Page 58. Well i reversed them and BOOM, everything works.

Thank you for all of your help
    Nelson