Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: For Sale: FFR 818S #225 - SOLD!

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like

For Sale: FFR 818S #225 - SOLD!

CAR IS SOLD!

It breaks my heart to offer it up for sale, but I have moved to a house with no garage and I have nowhere to work on my baby.

I spent 2.5 years of blood, sweat, tears, and over $50k getting this car to where it is now. I have receipts. All labor is my own.

I fabricated so many custom things on this car that it's hard to keep track. Much of it isn't listed below, so just know that any time I saw something I didn't like with the kit, I custom fabricated something better. I welded a lot of things out of steel, stainless steel, and aluminum. I didn't use any of the FFR wiring materials, preferring instead to use high quality automotive grade wiring, connectors, etc. Please see first reply below for additional info that won't fit in this post

Car weighs 2150 with a full tank of fuel. 269hp and 320ft/lbs to the rear wheels, all on the stock turbo.

More images here:
    https://imgur.com/a/Ygkq80y

One of many racing videos:

The Basics:
    • FFR Kit number 225 with black powder coated frame
    • First-gen S model with original front end (I think it looks better than the updated front end)
    • 2007 WRX donor with 60k miles (EJ255, 4/2 pot calipers, 5 speed with good ratios)
    • Compression is even across all cylinders
    • Updated latest gen FFR fuel tank that provides extra driver clearance
    • 818R model springs and shocks front and rear
    • White gel coat - no paint. Got lucky with a nicely done gel coat from the factory. It's not perfect but as you can see from the pics, it looks quite good. A vinyl wrap would be an affordable way to customize the color and take it to the next-level if you desire.
    • 818R Carbon Fiber front splitter with four adjustable support struts and custom aluminum rear mount
    • 818R Carbon Fiber rocker extensions
    • 818S Carbon Fiber duck bill spoiler
    • Titled in the state of Georgia as a 2016 model year "Factory Five Roadster". NOT a salveaged title! Title is clear and in my name. Has a georgia DMV-assigned VIN plate riveted to body. Has passed Georgia Safety Inspection and is a fully legitimate street car and the title can be transferred just like any other normal car.
    • Will pass emissions as a 2016 model year car via OBDII port scan
    • Black FFR Carpet, custom made/cut from a roll
    • FFR Padded Dash
    • FFR Padded Door panels

Engine
    • Killer-B oil pickup tube and windage tray
    • New rear main seal
    • Air pump delete using cosworth Air Pump Delete Plates
    • Crawford Performance Air Oil Separator properly mounted with custom welded bracket
    • PCV Delete
    • Evap Delete
    • Walbro in-tank fuel transfer pump with Holley Hydramat pickup, Radium Engineering Fuel Surge Tank with integral adjustable fuel pressure regulator with Walbro 274 fuel pump (500WHP E85 capable). Fuel pumps are properly fused, relayed, and has the OEM fuel pump controller removed
    • IAG billet aluminum fuel rails
    • OEM fuel injectors - checked, cleaned, balanced, tested
    • All fuel lines and fittings are AN style with PTFE AN hose
    • Cobb V3 AccessPort with two custom dyno tunes from Top Speed Motorsports. 269hp 320ftlbs at the wheels, and a lower-power tune with more conservative timing and boost to use on the track
    • Custom fabricated aluminum coolant expansion tank that self-bleeds the system - no burbing required! No bubbles! Even has a site-glass so you can monitor coolant level with cap closed
    • Full custom AWIC (Air to Water Intercooler) setup. Large core, TIG welded and powder coated intake pipes. Aftermarket turbo inlet pipe. AWIC has pre and post temp sensors and pre-post temp gauge. Bosch water pump circulates the water through foam insulated and reflective wrapped 3/4" goodyear rubber hose to the large front heat exchanger which is almost as big as the radiator. Custom fabricated aluminum reservoir to hold AWIC fluid
    • TIAL bypass valve plumbed back into the intake
    • Cone intake air filter
    • Fully custom built bell-mouth stainless steel exhaust with stainless steel Kooks muffler. Sounds incredible. Also have a second exhaust with a muffler and an aftermarket cat if you need that for passing emissions inspection. Exhaust wrapped in DEI Heat Wrap
    • Setrab external oil cooler with Mocal thermostatic sandwhich plate and AN fittings and lines. Setrab cooler has thermostatic activated SPAL fan and custom fabricated fan shroud of aluminum.
    • TGV deletes
    • Turbo Blanket
    • Cusco engine and transmission mounts
    • Custom fuel tank evap charcoal cannister, AN fuel discriminator/rollover valve, and custom vent line on top of tank routed to top of filler neck for easier burp-free and splashback-free fuel tank filling
    • I have always run Motul fully synthetic oil

Suspension/Chassis
    • VCP Adjustable rear lower trailing arms to allow for wider wheels and tires
    • Welded pinion gear hub in the steering rack (removes slop from steering)
    • OEM STI steering column U-Joint
    • New OEM tie rods
    • New ball joints
    • R-style roll bar without the bars that run forward. Provides additional head clearance/protection
    • All new inner and outer wheel bearings and seals
    • All spindles de-rusted and painted or powder coated
    • Baer bump-steer kit, installed and adjusted properly. Bump steer dialed out front and rear using a digital bump-steer gauge
    • Custom fabricated adjustable front sway bar
    • Upper control arms modified to get proper amount of caster
    • Fully corner-balanced
    • 2006 WRX Aluminum lower control arms

Transmission/Drivetrain
    • New OEM flywheel
    • South Bend Stage 3 Daily Clutch and Pressure Plate
    • New OEM throwout bearing
    • New OEM transmission input shaft seal
    • New OEM driveshaft flange seals
    • Quaife limited slip differential with new carrier bearings
    • Completely custom fabricated shifter, cables, and shift linkages that works perfectly with great feel

Brakes
    • Working factory ABS!
    • New OEM brake and clutch master cylinders
    • Custom remote brake/clutch fluid reservoirs
    • All new brake rotors
    • Hawk DTC60 Brake Pads
    • OEM 4/2 pot calipers rebuilt and repainted
    • All brake lines were made by hand using top-shelf copper-nickel brake line and real OEM metric tube nuts (NO metric to SAE FFR Adapters on the car!).

Interior
    • Momo shift knob and custom sewn leather shift boot
    • Custom e-Brake mount to put e-Brake in better position with custom sewn leather e-brake boot.
    • Custom inner rear firewall made of TIG welded aluminum that covers the fuel surge tank
    • Custom outer rear firewall made of DEI Heat Insulation
    • Momo Start Racing Seats with Momo Brackets mounted as low as possible
    • G-Force 3" 5-Point Safety Harness with twist-lock, bolted to 1/4" steel tabs welded to frame

Exterior
    • ZeroDB front hood hinge
    • Custom engine cover hinge
    • Front hood, engine cover, and trunk cover are all hinged!
    • Small black QuikLatches all around instead of chrome hood pins
    • Zero DB hood and trunk louvers
    • Billet aluminum license plate frame with integrated light. Frame is powder coated black
    • Enkie RPF-1 aluminum wheels in bronze, 18" rear, 17" front, with Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec Tires (265 rear, 235 front). The offset front and rear look awesome, as does the stagger
    • ARP long wheel studs
    • Muteki security wheel nuts in black color
    • Carbon Fiber DTM side-view mirrors

Electrical
    • RaceLogic electronic traction control system
    • Custom wiring harness built specifically for the 818 using OEM harness as a donor. Similar to what I-wire would build. No wads of wires crammed out of sight. All connections soldered and covered with dual-wall heat shrink (has heat-activated glue on the ends). ZERO wiring issues on this car. Fuse box is mounted under dash with fuses and relays accessible from under dash in passenger compartment
    • Remote starter solenoid mounted up near battery for added safety and to eliminate unfused hot wires running the length of the vehicle.
    • Larger gauge high quality wire used for alternator, starter, and ground wire
    • Battery ground post welded to frame just above battery. High quality custom ground strap.
    • Alternator wire is fused
    • All accessory add-ons like gauges and switches are fused
    • Prosport aftermarket gauges for: Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Air Intake pre and post intercooler temp, AWIC water temp.
    • Wideband digital O2 sensor and gauge
    • Factory immobilizer works with RFID OEM Keys (dealer can make more keys - I've done it)
    • LED round toggle switches in console for:
    • Fuel Pump (manual shut-off)
    • Air-Water Intercooler Pump (manual shut-off)
    • ABS (manual shut-off)
    • Diagnostic (instead of connecting the two green harness wire connectors to enter diagnostic mode - such as to flash the ECU via AccessPort, you just flip this switch)
    • Radiator Fans (manually run both fans on high, overriding ECU control)

Doors open and close flawlessly with a feather touch. Alignment of body panels is as good as you can get. I took many months to get it right. I've put only 5,464 miles on it since building it. It has been very reliable. Runs 1:45 at Road Atlanta with me driving it and just a little more time playing with the suspension setup would get it into the low 1:40's, possibly high 1:30's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hindsight; 08-30-2019 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Price Change

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Back to the front page.

I will keep driving the car and enhancing it until sale, though at a much slower pace now that I have no garage, air compressor, welder, etc. Probably no track days either. Next mod will be swapping rear springs from 500# to 400#.

Ran out of characters in the original post so here is additional information:

The stock kit, as built by the manual, leaves a LOT to be desired. My intention with this build was to have a car that looked good, was a joy to drive, was rock-solid reliable, could be thrashed on the race track without issue, and had no annoying things about it. It is very difficult for someone who hasn't built or driven one of these to understand all that is involved in getting to that point. My price is now so low that it compares with by-the-book builds, and is less than half the money I spent in parts on the build, not counting any of my labor.

The stock steering geometry doesn't allow for the amount of caster you need to run to get the car to track straight down the road, and the bump-steer is horrible. Every groove or bump in the road you hit, or any time you hit the brakes and the nose dives, the car wildly veers left and right. Just driving around the block is a white-knuckle affair. I put a custom bump-steer kit on it and spent days on the front and rear suspension dialing all the bump steer out so the car drives like an OEM car down the road, and is predictable on the track.

The stock fuel system becomes starved for fuel on the track, even with a near-full tank. I addressed that with Holley Hydramat in-tank pickup, and a Radium Engineering surge tank. All fuel system is done in PTFE lined AN hose and AN fittings, with IAG fuel rails and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and gauge. Both the in-tank fuel pump and surge-tank fuel pump are brand new, quality brands, and are capable of running on E85 to over 600HP so if you decide you need more power, the fuel system is ready - you'd just need injectors.

Some high-expense items are new aftermarket and now recycled from the car. That cost adds up quick. Some examples include wheels and tires, racing seats, seat rails, carbon-fiber racing side-mirrors, all silicone boost tubes, K&N air filter, 5 point racing harnesses, steering wheel, new OEM flywheel and throw-out bearing and Southbend Stage 3 daily clutch and pressure plate, air to water intercooler, entire shifter and shift linkage setup, bypass valve, boost controller etc. All wear-type items are new like brake rotors, wheel bearings, ball joints, tie-rod ends, brake pads, clutch, clutch and brake master cylinders and slave cylinder, etc.

The wiring harness isn't haphazardly jammed into hidden corners in a giant mess. It's custom made for this car using the donor harness as a base. Everything is welded and heat shrinked with adhesive walled heat shrink tubing.

The factory A2A intercooler won't work in the 818 - it gets no air. So I have a really nice custom made air to water setup that works perfectly and keeps the intake air temps way down, with less restriction than an A2A setup.

The kit exhaust sucks and is restrictive. I build probably 4 or 5 different exhausts, evolving each one until I arrived at what I consider perfection. It's TIG welded of stainless steel, using a straight-through Kooks stainless steel muffler and is 3". The sound is incredible and you get no exhaust fumes in the cabin.

Aftermarket louver vents on the hood and deck lid help keep things cool and look nice.

Ditched the ugly $5 chrome auto parts store hood pins on the hood, engine cover, and trunk lid in favor of expensive but nice Quik-Latches. All three of these body panels are on hinges so you don't need to remove them and lay them on the ground to get access to the car or show things off at car shows.

The engine covers on these sag in the middle and look like crap so I added fiberglass and balsa reinforcements for strength.

I ditched the kit brake line setup which uses steel lines and a ton of metric to SAE fitting adapters. That will leak and looks like crap. I instead made fully custom brake lines out of expensive copper-nickel brake line and real metric fittings. Not a single brake line adapter on this car, nor are there any leaks.

It has working factory ABS - works perfectly on the track and street.

Lots of aftermarket gauges for the important things.

The shifter, cables, and shift linkage from the kit is horrible. People complain it's high-effort, sloppy, vague, and you can't tell what gear you are in or even if you are in a gear. Everything about the shifting mechanism is custom designed and engineered and built by me. The linkage uses a bell-crank and is fabricated out of 1/2" thick aircraft grade aluminum, the cables are made custom and have no real bends in them, and the shifter is custom made and adjustable for throw length using custom fabricated parts and some parts from a Toyota MR2. It shifts perfectly, the throws are short, effort is low, and it's very easy to tell what gear you are in.

The steering pinion has been tig-welded and the steering column u-joint is solid from an STI - both of these eliminate steering slop and wandering that plagues a by-the-book 818 build.

It has a Quaife limited slip differential in the transmission which really helps with traction on the street and on the track. No one tire fire. The car hooks up solid and allows you to put all the power down instead of spinning tires and wasting rubber.

No engine or transmission oil leaks. Strong compression on all four cylinders. Synthetic oil only. Aftermarket Setrab oil cooler with fan and AN lines and fittings help keep oil temps down and I used a thermostatic mocal sandwich plate to ensure the oil can warm up quickly during cold-start. Sometimes the Subaru engines can become oil-starved at the track, and the oil pickup tubes in the oil pan are known to crack and fail. So it has a new Killer-B oil pickup tube and Killer-B windage tray in the oil pan. Even on high-speed tracks with long sweeping corners like Roebling Road and Road Atlanta, I've seen no oil pressure drop on my oil pressure gauge.

The fuel venting system is awful in the kit. There isn't enough venting while filling up at the gas station so the gas constantly backs up in the filler tube and clicks the gas pump off. And the OEM charcoal cannister (for venting) is huge and there isn't a good place to put it. I welded a large NPT thread bung on top of the tank, added a 3/4" fuel hose up to the filler neck where I added another NPT fitting. This allows air from the top of the tank to be vent out the filler right at the gas gap to prevent premature click-offs when filling, and I built my own charcoal canister that sits up high and has a fuel discriminator valve on top of the tank to prevent fuel leaking during a rollover, and prevents fuel from getting in the charcoal canister.

The OEM roll bar on the S was too low for safety so I cut it out and welded a new "R-style" roll bar in place. It's made of proper seamless steel tubing that race car roll cages are made of, and is fully welded in place with plenty of bracing.

Most parts have been powder coated.

The metal bracket that the drive by wire throttle pedal bolts to is flimsy and bends, causing the pedal to hang off to the side and preventing you from going full throttle. I welded a better one out of much thicker stiff aircraft aluminum.

I fabricated an adjustable front swa-bar to help dial in the over/understeer.

The five point harnesses are bolted to the frame via welded in 1/4" thick steel harness tabs. Lap and shoulder belts have the proper angles and swivel. It will pass any safety inspection.

The brake & clutch reservoir sit hidden under the windshield cowl in the kit-build, so I installed a remote brake fluid reservoir which can be filled by simply opening the hood. I have speed-bleeders on all four calipers as well to make bleeding the brakes easy.

Car is pro-tuned via Cobb Access Port which comes with the car. Has three maps, stock, street, and track. Track is like street but with a few PSI of boost and a couple degrees of timing pulled for reliability.

The WRX steering column is too long for the 818 kit and results in a steering wheel shoved into your face. As such, the steering column has been shortened so the steering wheel is in an ideal position.

I didn't like the center console from the kit, the placement of the shifter, and the placement of the e-brake so I built a completely custom center console and secondary instrument cluster column out of aluminum and covered it with carbon fiber vinyl wrap. I positioned the shifter in an ergonomic location, as well as the e-brake, and had custom e-brake and shifter boots made out of leather from a local craftsman who has since moved to California to design Tesla interiors.

You can tell by the pictures that I've engineered as much as possible here. There is much more I'm forgetting to mention, like the fact that the cold-side of the water hose for the air-water intercooler is completely wrapped in closed-cell foam pipe insulation and then wrapped with reflective fiberglass heat shielding.... the exhaust wrapped in DEI engineering exhaust wrap.... a custom firewall built of aluminum and covered with DEI reflective insulated heat shielding, etc.
    Last edited by Hindsight; 07-12-2019 at 02:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful ride,still for sale?

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know of an 818 in the phoenix area ? I'd love to see,feel touch (maybe drive) one before I commit to a purchase

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe AZ Pete is in the Phoenix area, it is an amazing build. You can track him down on the 818 forum.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Car is still for sale. PM me directly for inquiries.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bump - Price reduction for summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Interested in Portland

Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Bump - Price reduction for summer.
    What's the Summer reduction quote? Very interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a steal, this car is solid and worth way more than asking price!

10. Thanks Hindsight thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Back to the front page.

I will keep driving the car and enhancing it until sale, though at a much slower pace now that I have no garage, air compressor, welder, etc. Probably no track days either. Next mod will be swapping rear springs from 500# to 400#.
    I’m also located in Georgia, where is the car being stored. I’d like to take look and see it in person.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by timga View Post
    I’m also located in Georgia, where is the car being stored. I’d like to take look and see it in person.
    Atlanta GA near Little 5 Points.

For anyone interested: Please PM me instead of replying to the post for fastest response.

13. Thanks Justinallen23 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is the car still for sale?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Justinallen23 View Post
    Is the car still for sale?
    Yes

Post Thanks / Like

This site will not allow me to PM you. PM me a contact email

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Updated

Post Thanks / Like
    That car is beautiful. I'm sure the new owner is loving it. Too bad I didn't see it before lol. I did want to thank you for the carbon fiber wrap idea. I'm in the middle of rebuilding a MK3 and needed ideas for the shifter area as we got a carbon fiber steering wheel, dash, and shift knob.