FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huntington Beach 2019?

Post Thanks / Like

Huntington Beach 2019?

I'm doing my usual pre-start of the year iCal typing and was wondering whether a date has yet been set for the HB show-- I couldn't find it in a search-- does anyone know? Maybe this year I can make it!

Thanks from Northern California!
    FFR Mk II 4437
    Finally on the road, 8/12! SVO Crate 302, IRS, EEC IV

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Huntington Beach 2019?

Now there's a question.

Date set last year is April 27th. There have been "discussions" concerning this year's event but I don't want to release any news until I speak with FFR again.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

3. Thanks Eespensen thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't mean to leave uncertainty in the air so let me explain a few realities about this event, from my perspective of running it last year.

This forum was the sole sponsor of last year's event. When I say sponsor, I mean WE paid ALL the bills. In terms of participation and overall experience, it was a massive hit. But the reality is we had to use the reserves gained from the fundraiser we had in January to pay for it. That was with all volunteers running the event and the band was free too! Permit$, required city per$onnel and event cost$ were HUGE!

A few lessons were learned - never, EVER do t-shirts in 4-color process!! Shiny trophies are EXPEN$IVE! Find co-sponsors!!!! Don't offer to pay ANYBODY'S hotel bill!

And I'm not including the pre-party BBQ in that equation b/c a few participants were kind enough to pay for the food.

I feel negligent for having to use the funds we had in reserve but the reality is that I had no idea what the actual cost of running one of these shows is.

So I'm feeling a little "once-bitten, twice shy".

We charged $40/entry last year. I figure we need to raise that to at least $75/entry to get near the break even point without additional sponsors. There are those that hear that and say "no one will pay $75 to be in a car show". Well, this isn't in a parking lot! We shut down Main Street for this event, and Huntington Beach gets a major chunk of change for granting that opportunity.

EDITORIAL/

Before anyone chimes in with "FFR should pay for it", let me just say again that this event costs a lot of money to produce. And - IN MY OPINION - for FFR to send resources out here, including personnel and their big rig, is asking them to spend a TON of money on folks that have already purchased their product is not facing the reality of what it takes to do that for little return on their investment. I can totally see them going to Barrett-Jackson and the Grand National Roadster show because they are putting their product on display for a TON of potential customers. But they are based in MA and have to travel the continent to make it out here. They simply can't afford to turn that exercise into a 2-month-long ordeal. This event adds 3 weeks to their west coast trip and that adds up to a real boat-load of money.

/EDITORIAL

So let's hear it from you folks:

Will you cancel your trip out to HB to save $40? Is $75 or even $100 too high of a price to pay for this event? If it is to you, I want to hear it!

Will any vendors step up to help sponsor the event? (Lots of nice companies were included in the flyer last year, but FFR made those, we didn't.)

Again, this is ME speaking. Not FFR. Please let me know your thoughts on this, either in this thread or via PM if you want to privately discuss your thoughts.

Last edited by David Hodgkins; 12-28-2018 at 09:31 PM.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife had a thought.... has anyone ever hit up any of the businesses on Main Street for any kind of help? I would think with the influx of people on the street they do more business? Just a beginning thought.

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

Guess I'm not the only one jumping in early here, asking about HB 2019. I was going to wait until at least late Feb . . .

My thoughts, we had gatherings long before "Main Street" came about. We, over time, progressed to that location. We started at the upper parking lot to the north of the pier 13 years ago with reserved spots for 50, 80 showed up. The numbers have been climbing every year and the necessity to find a larger "parking" area became priority one. We could go back to that if all else fails, I know we could fill the upper and part of the lower lots.

It's nice to get [very expensive] trophies when someone wins but smaller ones that aren't so elaborate would be just as good to the ones that do win . . . instead of the sponsors giving away their products as raffle prizes, have them make donations to the event.

The single color shirts, like the earlier years, worked just as well to celebrate our attendance - I know, I have all of them. Please don't take that as any kind of slight on what your son designed last year, that one is by far my favorite. I have a whole closet of single color shirts from past years right next to it . . .

The year we gathered on the sand strip turned out to be a smaller show but there were more than enough participants to make it GREAT!

These are just my personal feeling about what we call the Huntington Beach Cruise-In. I truly believe that the people make the show and I'm reasonably sure that if the "gathering" turned out to be nothing more than just that, there would still be a ton of Cobra's, Coupe's, Hot Rods, GTM's , 818's and trucks showing up. It really is a "family gathering" as opposed to a "car show". I don't need all the toots-n-whistles to make this event off the chart . . .

Helping you with the logistics; food, drink, crowd control, parking attendants, whatever has never been an issue for the Vegas Guys - we're here to back you up with whatever gets put together.

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 12-29-2018 at 12:16 AM.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

7. Thanks 7tvette thanked for this post
    Likes 7tvette liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never traveled to HB before and was hopefully planning to go this year. I joined the forum a year ago and built my MK4 this year. I also donated to the forum during the year. I'm a numbers guy and normally go by budgets and looking at the deficits when they happen. Can you release $ numbers so I (we) can put it in perspective? How much was raised during the fundraiser? What was the budget for the HB event ALL IN. What was the total cost? How much of the reserve was used and what is left?

I'm willing to be part of the HB planning committee if you can use someone on the east coast.

I really enjoy the FAMILY experience with FFR and want to do my part and help when necessary.

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    I attended once before I ordered my car. Invaluable opportunity to ask questions and help plan a build.
    I attended once while building. Met more people, learned a few tricks, picked a final paint color.
    Exhibited last year as a work in progress. $40 entry, $100 trailer rental. Was it worth it? Absolutely!

It’s not a car show or a cars and coffee, it is really a great event and an opportunity to meet builders and share experiences with peers.

Dave, charge what you need to charge. Ask for the help you need. Let’s keep it going and growing.

There’s no fee or entry price to attend, only to exhibit. How about selling “forum passes” on the forum for $25 for people attending but not exhibiting. Give them a badge that identifies them as a builder/ forum member rather than somebody just walking up from the beach? It would be voluntary but it would give attendees who are not exhibiting a chance to support the event and share in the sense of community. I would have gladly paid a voluntary entry fee the first couple of times I attended.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve X2 ��

Kurt

Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dave,

You know my thoughts on how much I love the HB show! The HB show has to pay for itself, with no dipping into the kitty or personal pockets to make it work. An entry fee of $75 or $100 is not unreasonable as this is not an everyday car show. Its a Family Reunion. You and your family have been incredible in making my dreams of coming to HB each year a reality (6 years now). Your families hospitality is over the top. I know its hard, but ask for help. We are family.

Troy
    " The journey is the reward" Chinese Proverb
    FFR Roadster #5380
    FFR Spyder GT #030

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave Hodgkins

I think that what you did last year was amazing and is really invaluable to Factory Five Racing. The Huntington Beach event was the reason I took the plunge and purchased my Mk4. Most of my friends driving Factory Five's got bit at the HB Event. It is wrong to think that Factory Five does not benefit greatly from this event given that it is the only West Coast Event of this magnitude. I understand that there is a huge cost when they bring out the Big Rig but Dave Smith did attend last year without the huge overhead and I am sure still sold a few kits in the process. I would gladly pay a bit more to attend but I also feel that Factory Five should also help out and not leave you and The Factory Five Forum to foot the bill.

I know that I may offend a few from making the above statement but the Huntington Beach event is all about Factory Five and not "open" to all makes and models. I know we "include" everyone and there was at least one ERA and perhaps one Backdraft there but this is still one day where Huntington Beach Main Street screams "Factory Five Racing"

"Before anyone chimes in with "FFR should pay for it", let me just say again that this event costs a lot of money to produce. And - IN MY OPINION - for FFR to send resources out here, including personnel and their big rig, is asking them to spend a TON of money on folks that have already purchased their product is not facing the reality of what it takes to do that for little return on their investment. I can totally see them going to Barrett-Jackson and the Grand National Roadster show because they are putting their product on display for a TON of potential customers. But they are based in MA and have to travel the continent to make it out here. They simply can't afford to turn that exercise into a 2-month-long ordeal. This event adds 3 weeks to their west coast trip and that adds up to a real boat-load of money."
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

13. Likes roadscholar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’m not saying FFR should pay for anything, I’m not going there.... but I’ve (we’ve) been to a few HB shows (3 hr drive).
    Last year I got to sit in Dave’s brothers Trojan (Fight on!) so I could see if my big butt would fit in a roadster. Yes it did. This year I talked to a guy who’s license plate said 6foot7 or 6foot6. He fit, it was a major worry for me. I also got to talk to a bunch of people from the forum. Then at the end of the show I talked to Dave Smith and Jeff Kleiner for a few.
    We pulled the trigger less then a month later. MK4 sold from the show... just saying....

Kurt

Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I can understands everyone's position, What a great location! Without FFR direct support the work is extensive and with some risk to the owner base (thanks Dave H). My suggestion is we promote The Peterson Museum hosting the event in their parking lot. They have a current display of Southern California racing technology. We could tag on the Shelby connection to their campaign. FFR (sales) would actually benefit more from the global exposure the Peterson has. Their annual Shelby Cruise In is this Sunday Jan. 6. Just a thought.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've spoken with several of the store owners/managers over the last few years. Other than the restaurant folks, the other stores aren't really pleased with the various events that close the street. Apparently the City allows several events during the "season" on Main St. during the year and the feeling is that it disrupts business.

If we could find a local park, school etc. that we could obtain a less expensive permit for.....

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

17. Thanks SSNK4US thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Going along with Ray's thoughts, the Pomona fair grounds [area] has the Hot Rod Museum (or at least it used to) and there has been several "gatherings" held there that have been successful . . . I think the old Knotts show moved there since the new owners of Knotts raised the price of the AHA show.
    Also, Santa Anita Race Track (horses) has an enormous parking lot (just sitting there empty) and they might be in their off-season in April. Their event calendar doesn't show anything for the end of April.
    OR - how about the LA Arboretum, parking on the grass but I'm sure they are pretty limited to attendance limits - just thinking outside the box for a moment.

Doc
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    ... Permit$, required city per$onnel and event cost$ were HUGE!

... And I'm not including the pre-party BBQ in that equation b/c a few participants were kind enough to pay for the food.

...Well, this isn't in a parking lot! We shut down Main Street for this event, and Huntington Beach gets a major chunk of change for granting that opportunity.

...This event adds 3 weeks to their west coast trip and that adds up to a real boat-load of money.
    Here are a couple of pictures to put it in perspective for those that have not attended.

The BBQ was awesome! I hope it continues as a tradition. Just mention what you need and I'm sure everyone coming would help with the BBQ.

Can the cruise in move to a date that corresponds with the FFR west coast schedule?

Thank you David for all that you do!

Erik
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    My thoughts:

1. I've attended the past 6 HB shows and although the location is pretty scenic, it seems like time to prioritize. I'm sure none of the attendees would complain about a location change without the major fees for street closures.
    2. The whole purpose of the show (in my mind) is an annual reunion of FFR owners.
    3. When I attended the 10th anniversary Open House, it was an informal affair with burgers/dogs, kids play area and a dyno. Just the essentials. My vote is to simplify this show.
    4. Costs can be significantly cut by hosting at a public venue with minimal fees and ask our community for help. I'm sure if you asked for volunteers, you could delegate tasks and ask owners to chip in to make it all happen. I bet owners would even volunteer to make or provide a trophy for each category of winners.

In short, if you were to take a vote, you would find owners willing to change the location, tone down the bells and whistles, and reduce costs in order to save the event. It would be a mistake to cancel the show.

21. Likes slpro1207 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about Marina Green Park in Long Beach, where the Japanese Classic Car Show does its thing each September?

https://www.japaneseclassiccarshow.c...isitor-map.jpg

There's also a vintage race event happening at Fontana during that time frame:
    https://svra.com/events/2019-souther...-car-festival/
    Last edited by bwwooster; 01-05-2019 at 03:48 PM.
    FFR Mk II 4437
    Finally on the road, 8/12! SVO Crate 302, IRS, EEC IV

Post Thanks / Like
    David,
    First off, you and the others that helped last year did an excellent job last year. I live in Arizona. I have been to a number of these events in California, many Knotts Berry Farm Shows, more than half on the HB shows. I remember a number of hot days at Knotts, then driving down to HB for the FFR show, what a big temp change. I like the location, there are many hotels in the area, making the drive short to and from the show, a big help in the event of rain. Anything near the beach is going to cost more money, paying $75-80 for a once a year show in that location to me is worth it. While moving inland may be cheaper there is downsides to that, like the temps, if I want I hot I can stay home. Getting to and from HB is not a bad trip, going towards LA more like Peterson Auto Museum is a bit more of a challenging. There are a number performance related business in the LA area, Edelbrock, Vortech for example. Ford dealership that sells a lot performance parts, may be possible candidates for some sponsorship. What will be will be, we are planning on coming out for what ever gets done. Thank again for last year.

24. Likes Straversi liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, I left you a PM a while back about 2019.
    Have you had a chance to read it?

I would like to help if I can.

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I should have read this before I just sent you my PM, but I will chime in: YES! The event is worth $75-$100 to me to attend each year. I would be willing to help in any way asked. The event is important. The location is wonderful, but not absolutely critical. I would lean toward keeping it on Main Street in HB, but again, not absolutely critical. Dave, you and your family did an amazing job last year! Now let us help you. Choose a team of committed people to help run the event with you. I am quite sure I am not alone in my desire to help out the event.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

27. Likes Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've never been to the HB show and probably never will.....there's still snow on the ground in Northern Ontario that time of year and I won't upset anyone with further comments abouts trailering. Haha, ruffled enough feathers.
    Here's a suggestion though to try to keep the trophy cost down. I was at a show a few years ago, and the award trophies were made out of pistons. The connection rod was tacked in vertical position. The entire piece was powder coated a brassy gold colour and the plaque was round and mounted in the crank shaft eye of the rod. These things were SWEET.
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe some other beach town . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    I get that it is held in HB because that's Dave's hometown and frankly, the location is great because you can get about anywhere on foot. Having said that, having it practically anywhere else would make it closer to practically everyone else that doesn't live on the west coast. If the location were to move I think it should be in someone's hometown so they know the lay of the land and great locations for ancillary events. (ie cruse, barbeque etc).

Personally, I think Dave did such a great job last year that I would have no issues with going back to HB. I understand that Factory Five isn't in a position to bankroll the whole thing but I know for a fact that one guy bought a 33 kit and told me specially that it was the result of a conversation that we had and how my car looked that put him over the top and he ordered the kit the very next week. My point is that there is a sales component to the show that could justify a undetermined percentage of the cost to be picked up by Factory Five. There's a big difference between paying the entire bill and paying ~ 20% of the bill. Couple that with the $75 -100 registration that many replying to the thread have already suggested AND charge $10 - 15 bucks for the barbeque and I believe it's certainly doable. I know I'd pay it.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Mark,,,, "I" am that guy and could not be happier with my decision and YES, the HB event took me off the fence and I placed my order. AND got 50% off options on the sale they had going at the time. Good timing for me. Even met Dave Smith in the street that day and told him why I was there. He told me,,, NO DOUBT,,,, I would move on the kit. I am a BUILT not bought guy and I have gotten near the limit of my talent level a couple times but,,, no hurry. Forum is great help and lots of good ideas to boot. Working through my little issues and learning as I go,,, Keeps this old man busy and all my friends ask me about the car every time I see them. A group of high school Buds are coming over next month just to see the car. Huntington Beach is good but another location could be just as good. After all its the cars and people who make it great. Handle is onlyandy, its a nickname, but real name is Dana... ( I know, just a 4 letter word. ) Anyway, good times, good cars and good people. Proud to be aboard and,,, still like your 33'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since we're throwing out ideas for alternate locations, I'll throw one in as well. The Rolex Monterey Motorsport Reunion (formerly know as the Laguna Seca Historic Automobile Races) is held every year in late August on the same weekend as the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. I've been out there several times with my son, and it's a wonderful event. The last time I was out there Hillbank were there with a large assortment of Superformance cobras and GT40's. Of course, seeing real Shelby Cobras out on the track, and being able to check them out up close in the paddocks was beyond thrilling. The race has make-specific parking 'corrals' (AMG, Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, etc.). If there was a Factory Five corral where owners could drive in with their cars, that would be awesome. I'm sure the FFR truck and display would be very well-received there, and draw a huge crowd. Just my $0.02.

Here was the Hillbank 'booth':

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1fd.jpg

and here are a few real Cobras in the paddocks:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_20d.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I would pay 75$ entry fee. and bring my steering wheel with me on the flight.
    LOL

Having it at that venue makes no difference to me. there are so many great places to see out there.
    Moving the event helps bring in new faces who may not enjoy the long drives.

I really enjoyed when FFR piggybacked other events like with NASA, SCCA, SVRA, Goodguys London Cobra show, Texas Cobra show ETC.
    Having a corral at the event. It gives you something else to look at like the former FFR Challenge series.

I like how FFR keeps the open house costs down with a on site BBQ. maybe a food truck or 2 or 3

as far as trophy's I think you can defiantly keep the costs down there also.

As for the Band They make these awesome batt. powered sync able Bluetooth speakers. use your play list on your I PAD.
    just saying great ways to save a ton of money and still have a great event.

For me the event is about getting together with a ton of my favorite people, and cars.
    the rest is filler.

Just some thoughts.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    what about crashing the party in Anaheim april 14...

http://events.r20.constantcontact.co...wilrcg7ddbd1d5

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems pretty clear from the tenor of the previous posts that "some event, somewhere" is favored. Location in Huntington Beach is very nice, but pricey. A move to some other location would inherently be beneficial for some, detrimental to others, and bring a lot of unknowns into the equation. There is one factor that is critical to the success of such an event: a very committed leader. Many thanks have been lauded upon David Hodgkins and family, and rightly so! Without him, the 2018 event simply would not have happened. If the event is moved to any other location that is unknown to David or further than about an hour from his home, it will significantly compound an already very difficult job. (yes, in LA freeway time that means 10 miles away from his house!!! ) Many good suggestion have been made for alternative locations, but none have the distinct advantage of "David's convenient leadership". To be clear, I cannot speak for David, and I don't want to volunteer him for something he does not want, but he clearly is an exceptional organizer and loyal supporter of the event and thus far has not said he does not want to be a part of it.

If any event is to happen anywhere, it seems clear that some changes need to be considered:
    1. There needs to be a core of committed individuals to work as a committee to organize and run the event. In the past it sounds like FFR did some of this work. David cannot do it alone. I will cast my support and energy to assisting in the planning and execution of the event if asked.
    2. The committee must have a very committed leader to make sure everything comes together.
    3. The location should grow out of the proximity to the leader. It must be well known to the leader and easily accessible for him.
    4. FFR should be expected to contribute to some level. It is advertising for their product and they do benefit from the event. (And we are all glad they do!!) Exactly how much and what form this support should take is certainly up for discussion.

One of the advantages of continuing to hold the event in Huntington Beach is the "momentum" of the event. I put HB in the last weekend of April in my calendar at the beginning of each year. I have family and friends in the southern california area that put it in their calendars as well. We have growing relationships with the hotels in the area. The longer the event stays put, the better likelyhood that larger groups of participants and spectators will come to the show year after year. This is good for the businesses in the area and good for FFR. While David endured a trial by fire last year, this year he already knows what to do, what not to do, and where he needs to ask for help. Any other location and leader would inherently require a completely new learning curve for everyone.

I would like to see Huntington Beach work.
    Last edited by Jazzman; 01-16-2019 at 12:45 PM.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

36. Thanks Mrallsport32 thanked for this post
    Likes Straversi, Mark Eaton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any updates on the event? I need to clear my schedule and plan hotel, transport etc? Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'd gladly pay $75 to keep the HB location.

Post Thanks / Like
    With a little more than 2-1/2 months to go and the fact that Factory 5 skipped the Grand National Roadster Show this year, things aren't looking great right now. If they (Factory 5) or someone else (David Hodgkins) is going to work on putting the HB Show on this year, a decision really needs to made here pretty quick. This way folks can plan for time off, make reservations for rooms and make travel plans..................................There have been rumors circling here recently that owners may just end up showing up, paying their $10 for parking and taking over the Pier Plaza parking lot on the chosen Saturday the last weekend of April (similar to what transpired in the beginning). No trophies, no t-shirts, just a bunch of cool cars and owners hanging out at the beach.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Sound good to me. I think less formal equals more fun. Hopefully this gets decided soon. I’m in either way.

Quote Originally Posted by frankeeski View Post
    With a little more than 2-1/2 months to go and the fact that Factory 5 skipped the Grand National Roadster Show this year, things aren't looking great right now. If they (Factory 5) or someone else (David Hodgkins) is going to work on putting the HB Show on this year, a decision really needs to made here pretty quick. This way folks can plan for time off, make reservations for rooms and make travel plans..................................There have been rumors circling here recently that owners may just end up showing up, paying their $10 for parking and taking over the Pier Plaza parking lot on the chosen Saturday the last weekend of April (similar to what transpired in the beginning). No trophies, no t-shirts, just a bunch of cool cars and owners hanging out at the beach.
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

41. Likes i.e.427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This from Dave a few days ago:

"I think we have so much on our plate that HB will not happen. The good news is that Sally did reserve the date for 2020 because that will be a HUGE party for our 25th Anniversary."

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm for what Frank said above - showing up and taking over the upper (and maybe lower) parking lots at the pier. That's how we started this event many, many years ago.
    I can [always] buy another T-shirt from F5, I can absolutely afford $10-$20 bucks for parking, don't need another trophy, and Ruby's is right there at the end of the pier . . . I'm in.
    Any chance we can contact the parking lot owners and "reserve" the spots? I now if we get some kind of pre commit to spaces "rented", we should be able to pull this off (again).

For me, it's all about the people and the [old] friends I'll see and the new ones I'll make . . .

Doc

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Guys,

I don’t post often, but after some long and serious consideration I think we cannot host the annual HB cruise-in this year. Please allow me to explain.

Short answer: We are slammed and I want to focus my team energies closer to home this year while we work diligently on the projects we have to complete.

Long answer: Last year Dave H (here from the forum) and many customers came together to host this event. It was fun and I came out for the day to help and Factory Five kicked in some money (not a ton) but we were so busy back at home with a really full plate of projects that a week on the road with the big rig and our team doing the show the way we had for years was just not possible.

This year is even worse (better depending on how you look at it) with respect to new products and projects. The Hot Rod Truck and new Gen 3 Coupe are doing well and the investment I’ve made in surfacing and VR/3D design is going to net some impressive new models. We bought Rats glass hot rods and their 8 (!) models are being evaluated on our chassis right now and there is pressure to supply existing product to existing Rats Glass customers. We are bringing on board an all-new materials/MRP/Operating system that will better manage inventory (back orders) and also provide the full range of Operating System modules we need like an integrated sales order desk/web site catalog and improved sales history and tracking, linked inventory, updated and streamlined and integrated accounting and general ledger functions. This is a massive year-long project. We are already working on cars for SEMA and our partnership with Ford has never been stronger. Our partnerships with other companies is also presenting us with new opportunities to make our cars better, faster, and stronger. Lastly, I have (typical reach exceed grasp guy) green lighted several exciting new products to be launched in 2020 on our 25th Anniversary. I desperately want to save our powder on HB this year and celebrate with a proper party next year as it will be 25 years since I left 1505 Olive Street in Huntington Beach with my wife and baby daughter to start Factory Five. We are already planning 25th year anniversary products and events and HB is the crown jewel. Sally has already secured April 25th for 2020 and we are hoping to make it a two-day event with a Saturday night awards dinner nearby (we did a small event back in 2000 after Knotts Berry Farm show at the HB Hilton).

If you guys want to do a local cruise or keep the faith I would seriously consider coming out just to have fun for the day, but as it stands, I am swinging for the fences on some very ambitious projects that will make sure Factory Five celebrates 25 years at HB in style and that the company is here 25 years from now. I am sorry to have had to make this decision and I also don’t feel that it is fair to ask Dave or you all to take up the slack. I WILL ask for help next year, but it will be helping me raise a glass to celebrate 25 years of writing this amazing story, building this amazing community with you all, and building an iconic American motor sports company.
    Last edited by Dave Smith; 02-06-2019 at 02:37 PM.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

45. Thanks mburger, GoDadGo, RR20AC, JohnK, slpro1207 thanked for this post
    Likes mburger, slpro1207 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,
    Thanks for the update and I will plan on driving Hot Rod #304 from Ohio to Huntington Beach in 2020 for the party
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    As you may have noticed, I have been quiet on this thread until I had and absolute, Final FINAL answer from Dave about this year's show.

Last year the forum was able to produce the show, but it lost a lot of money. The thought of raising prices and then delivering a day that was "less" than last year (cheaper shirts, smaller trophies, oompa loompa band/no DJ) would cheapen the experience so many have come to expect.

One thing we could do, and that I can look into immediately, is perhaps having a get-together in the upper lot like we've had in the years past. That way the numbers don't have to be guaranteed and we can avoid all of the permit issues that plagued the event last year.

We could also keep the unofficial Friday night BBQ.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Upper lot or Main Street I’ll be there. Let me know what I can do to help. It’s all about family.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m in.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Darn!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast