BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gen 1 - rear window installation help needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Gen 1 - rear window installation help needed.

Hello Folks,

I just picked up an unfinished Gen 1 Type 65. The previous owner stopped building it after a loss in the family. It is largely complete except for a number of areas. One such a rear is the rear window installation. I have notices that the kit comes with a back plexiglass window, a square metal frame and the hinges. Does anyone have any pictures of how they were able to install the back window. I have looked at other threads but it appears that builders are not using the square frame and instead are just mounting the plexiglas to the hinges and struts. Here are some pics of the Type 65. Any help would be appreciated.

I’m located in Cold Lake, Alberta.
    Regards,
    Jay Conlin

Last edited by Redmantice; 12-29-2018 at 10:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bump for moderated thread.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Howdy and Happy New Year, Adams from Calgary,

I owned an early Gen 1 coupe (#031) and it was built with the squarish frame and the plexiglass (or lexan ... not sure of the actual material name) mounted to the frame. The Gen 2 coupes came with an actual glass hatch and that was mounted directly to the hinges. As far as I know, none of the plexiglass hatches were mounted any other way than with the metal frame. I ended up retro-fitting the glass hatch to my Gen 1 coupe when my plexiglass developed a few small cracks around one of the rivets. The glass hatch is a much cleaner look, although the metal frame with riveted in plexiglass is more period correct. I'll try and hunt up some pictures of the original hatch and the retro-fitted hatch.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a few pics ... before and after retro-fitting the glass hatch.

Plexiglass hatch.jpgc2.jpgc3.jpgc4.jpgc5.jpgc6.jpgc7.jpgc8.jpg
    Last edited by Garry Bopp; 12-31-2018 at 03:57 PM.
    I sure miss my coupe!

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Garry! Your comments are very much appreciated. I know understand the difference between the two Gen options. When building your rear hatch did you ever consider bonding the window to the squarish frame? I’m tossing this around as an option. My concerns on riveting the plexiglass to the frame are two fold: 1) cracking the plexiglass with a plexi drill bit, and 2) hitting a weld point with a drill bit. I guess there is always an option to upgrade to full glasss if things go south. Thank you again and Happy New Year. Jay

Post Thanks / Like
    My Coupe has the plexiglass window and I mounted it to the steel frame with 10-32 button-head machine screws. I didn’t use a special drill bit and experienced no cracks. I did, however, have an issue when I broke a tap off in the frame when tapping the holes. The tough part will be finishing up the final shaping of the hatch. I don’t know how tight to fit it nor how far above the body the window should finally sit but I’ll figure it out.
    George T

Type 65 Coupe #338, Picked Up 4-Aug-07, Roller on 8-Mar-09, 1st start 8-Sep-13, 1st Autocross 7-Oct-18, finished sanding & sprayed paint myself 6-Nov-21, IRS/LCA/Koni/traditional gages/Kirkey/pin-drive rear width/15" Torq-Thrust Ds/44IDFs/Brodix ST5.0R heads/Eagle internal-balance crankshaft/oil pan by Armando/home-made turkey pan/S-10 mid-shift T5

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you picked yourself up a really nice coupe.
    I would recommend the glass hatch as it looks much better and will keep your rear view much clearer in hot temps.
    Install is much easier too.
    Congrats on the new car and welcome

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    John Dol brought up a good point that I had forgotten about. The plexiglass tends to get slightly hazy in hot weather. As it cools off, it again becomes clear.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!