Results may vary. I had to remove my transmission due to it developing a bad leak. Someone stated to me that Tremec Transmissions are 50/50 in that every other one shipped will leak. Both my good friend and I had bad leaks that required removal so my experience is worse than that.

Fortunately for me the job ended up not being a huge deal. My roadster is finished and I dreaded having to work on it again. Last year I did the Head Gaskets on a nearly new Ford Racing 427 crate engine.

Just for the record. You can remove your transmission from underneath the Roadster without removing your transmission tunnel cover.

I highly recommend having a second set of hands but it can be done by yourself.

Keep in mind that our builds differ and while this worked for me, it may not work for you. I have my shifter in the traditional location which allowed me to access all 6 bolt and remove the shifter assembly from under the roadster. I am not sure that you can do the same with a midshift. I also have a 3-link but I think it would work the same with IRS.

This was a ton less work than removing the engine and transmission as a complete assembly. By myself it took less than 3 hours to do and that's because I'm slow and I clean and catalog everything as I go. Note: I spent more time in crating and shipping than I did removing it.

1. Remove driveshaft, Transmission mount, Clutch slave, Starter and Shifter including Transmission Shifter.

2. Don't forget to unplug your speed sensor and in my case, Neutral switch.

3. Go buy the cheap transmission jack from Harbor Freight. This is key if you do not remove your transmission tunnel cover.

4. Take your time.

With the driveshaft removed I was able to slide the transmission back quite a bit but not far enough for the input shaft to clear the bellhousing. To get the transmission out you need to unbolt the bellhousing and lower it and your transmission front down at the same time until you can get the bellhousing out. Once you have the bellhousing out you can raise the transmission up again, move it all the way forward to clear the frame and then lower it down and out.

Piece of cake as they say. Hopefully the reverse works out the same.

Here is my trans. on a Harbor Freight $78 transmission jack.
IMG_7634.jpg

Here it is crated and ready to ship to Liberty's Gears for some upgrades.
IMG_7636.jpg