BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Help with Koni shocks assembly

Post Thanks / Like

Help with Koni shocks assembly

So I got my first lot of back-ordered parts yesterday which included my Koni coil sleeves and hats. Great - I can make a start on the front suspension.

My problem was immediate. The spring seats (supplied when I got my kit 2 weeks ago) get about a quarter turn and then bind like they are different threads. Same for all 4 in any combination and same whether the spring seat is threaded on from either the correct orientation or reversed. The locking nuts are not the issue as they can be completely removed with the problem remaining. The threads on all parts seem OK. The coils sleeves fit over the shocks easily - I was expecting them to be a fight based on others experience.

Do you think I have mismatched parts, is that even possible, or am I completely missing something? These should thread together easily.

It's a bit disconcerting when I can't thread these on a part that might "cause serious injury or death" if not assembled correctly ;-)

Cheers

Dave
    Last edited by Kiwi Dave; 12-31-2018 at 09:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as I know the adjusters and collars are the same throughout the FFR lineup. Unlikely you got a mismatched set. In all the cars I have assembled I have never run into this. Everyone threaded together with no resistance. you might try a bit of anti seize and see if that helps.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the response Mike and thanks for the products you supply and your posts to the forum to make our builds easier!

An update on this issue:

It has been a frustrating few days as I waited for FFR to re-open after the holidays. I sent them an e-mail and a video of my Koni issue.

Unbeknownst to them, FFR received a mis-matching shipment of spring seats and threaded collars. It turns out I am not incompetent, just the unlucky first person to receive these!

They are shipping me replacement seats and collars that they have verified thread together.

Hopefully any other builders in this situation will see this post - just contact FFR and they will make it right, as they always do.

Cheers

Dave
    Last edited by Kiwi Dave; 01-03-2019 at 01:39 PM.

4. Likes Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ditched my konis in favor of some QA1 units, externally adjustable. For anyone wanting to make quick adjustments, this is a must.

Post Thanks / Like
    i'm having a problem where the hat simply won't fit into the spring. will this pop in when it's under load? everything else goes together fine.

7. Likes redbudrr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I assume you removed the snap ring?