Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Red Dust in my nightmares!!

Post Thanks / Like

Red Dust in my nightmares!!

Day 4 of making red Dust (blocking gel coat), and a lot more still to go. I'm starting to see red Dust in my dreams! Keyripes this stuff gets everywhere! You people who do body work for a living are plum crazy!!
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

Post Thanks / Like
    I pretty much did everything myself on my build. The 2 things that took the longest were wiring and body work. Best advice I can give is patience. The bodywork is a long haul. Nothing fits. Doors, hood, trunk doors, all require extensive work to get them right. But once you get it, it's a real sense of satisfaction. At least for me it was anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    RED DUST ? We don't get any "red dust" You sure you're doin it correctly ?...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    am I sure? Nope!! but.. havin' a ball doin' it anyway!!
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

Post Thanks / Like
    My next two are old leftover Mk3s so I'll be on a diet of black dust for a while. I guess it's good to change up every now and then. OH, and wait till you start in on the Rage---green dust. Can you say technicolor boogers?

Cheers,
    Jeff

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    From The Ancient Boat Builder Turned Banker:

You can wet sand the bodies using a little liquid Tide laundry detergent to get any residual the mold release product off while you avoid Black & Red Boogers. Of course the body would need to be OFF of the car.

NOTE: Would anybody like to buy an old 16'0" skiff mold because that's the last mold I've got.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=skidd;351793]Day 4 of making red Dust (blocking gel coat), and a lot more still to go. I'm starting to see red Dust in my dreams! Keyripes this stuff gets everywhere! You people who do body work for a living are plum crazy!![/QUOTE]

Other than being crazy, the pros have found an after work adult beverage help with the color coded dreams.

Just ask Da Bat or Mr. Kleiner

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Presto51;351906]
    Quote Originally Posted by skidd View Post
    Day 4 of making red Dust (blocking gel coat), and a lot more still to go. I'm starting to see red Dust in my dreams! Keyripes this stuff gets everywhere! You people who do body work for a living are plum crazy!![/QUOTE]

Other than being crazy, the pros have found an after work adult beverage help with the color coded dreams.

Just ask Da Bat or Mr. Kleiner

Ron
    After...before...during...whatever...

Let me tell you about Charlie Crane, an old guy I learned a lot of stuff from 40 years ago---with a half pint of Dark Eyes in his hip pocket and cigarette in his mouth he'd often have someone go in the booth with him to keep hold of his shirt collar so that he didn't fall into what he'd just sprayed. That guy could lay down acrylic enamel that looked like glass though...

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely need good ventilation or exhaust fans..