Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Timer to run water pump

Post Thanks / Like

Timer to run water pump

With my air to water coolers and wastegate i want to run pumps after stopping engine, and need a timer to do so. Any help would be good.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Any thought on a thermostatic switch like used for cooling fans?

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    T-Stat type switches will work but, depending where you place the probe, you might have your fan(s) pump, running for quite a bit of time before it shuts down . . . the timed relay that NAZ recommended works well, just may not cool the parts to the level you want it to cool to in the 3 minute time limit provided.

Choices, choices . . . there are always choices. 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just to echo what Doc said, using a temperature sensor may cause your pump and fan to run a long time. Myself, I wouldn't be comfortable with that.

As for the timer, follow the link and there are three tabs of timers on that page, two time off and one times on with a preset delay. One of the time-off relays tops out at 3-min and another at 15-minutes. When I run my fan & pump between rounds I don't believe I've ever had to run it more than 5-mins so a 15-minute window should be plenty. And the time relays use the standard relay socket which makes it easy to wire. Delcity has the sockets and terminals so you can make your own plug type socket and wire loom without having to splice some auto parts generic socket. Wire, heat shrink, and all the wiring parts you'll need can be had from Delcity.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all of you!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what I bought on Amazon for my purge solenoid on my LS. It's programmable from .1 second to 400 days, on or off. It's small, which is a plus for these cars. You will need a higher amp rating though. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.