Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Breeze Hood Hinge Question - std radiator install

Post Thanks / Like

Breeze Hood Hinge Question - std radiator install

Hello all and happy new year. Does anyone out there have a setup which uses the Breeze hood hinge on their MK4 but not the Breeze upper radiator support hinge? I have seen instances of the Breeze hinge coming very close to the radiator fins when closed and I am worried that mine will hit the fins. I installed the radiator as per the FF manual with the top lip attached to the taps below the 3/4 inch frame. I am thinking of going back and putting on the Breeze piano hinge just to be sure i dont have any issues but wondering if anyone has the standard install with the breeze hood hinge? Mk4 complete kit

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy New Year.

I have the Breeze hood hinge with the radiator mounted to the top frame almost as described in the FFR manual. The only thing I did different was put a 1/8 piece of high density foam between the rad and the 3/4 inch frame. I also put the same foam between the washer on the mounting bolt and the rad. Basically the mounting tab on the rad is sandwiched between two pieces of foam and the bolts are just tight enough to slightly compress it. This, combined with the rubber mounts on the lower rad mounting bracket I made, reduce vibrational stress on the rad.

My rad is just under 1/8 inch higher than it would be if mounted exactly as per the manual and the Breeze hood hinges clear the rad easily.

HTH

Norm

PS I did have file a couple of reliefs into the fibreglass at the front of the engine bay opening to allow the hinge arms to swing freely.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Norm B; 01-02-2019 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Added PS

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks Norm for the response. Based upon that and some other measurements I have done I think i will be OK. Happy new year to you!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used a piano hinge (not from Breeze, but same idea. My radiator is right at 51 degrees.) I have the Breeze Hood Hinge and am trying to decipher the instruction. It says adjust so that the radiator support tube to the hinge support tube is approximately 5 1/4” measured from the hinge support tube to the top corner of the radiator support tube. In the picture I think I would call the red arrow the top of the radiator support tube. I’m not sure if the measurement should then be taken from the blue arrow or the green arrow. I have it clamped in currently and if I attempt to close the hinge it rubs the radiator fins. The hinge is solid so I will probably grind some of it down but it appears that it will still be extremely close to the radiator. The hinges are adjusted to the top of bracket already so I can’t raise it anymore. If anyone here has installed one recently on a MKIV, please feel free to share your experience.

6EA179BF-448D-41AD-80CD-970BA4A152C3.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is to the blue arrow. I will see if I can get a measurement tomorrow but, you should contact Mark at Breeze. He will be the best source for answers. Don’t modify the hinge components. They work as designed without modifications.
    Mk4 base kit 7721, 331 Stroker, Holley Sniper EFI, Wipers, Heater, Whitby Soft Top, Drop trunk mod and more

Post Thanks / Like
    As promised, I measured the mounting location today. it is approximately 5 1/4 inches from the top of the radiator support crossmember to the top of the hinge support as indicated by the blue arrow in your picture.

HTH

Norm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mk4 base kit 7721, 331 Stroker, Holley Sniper EFI, Wipers, Heater, Whitby Soft Top, Drop trunk mod and more

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been driving (about 1,100 miles) in gel coat using the Breeze Hood Hinge. I was only using 2 screws per hinge vice the 3 that is used for final assembly. My plan was drill the last hole of each hinge once all gaps looked good. We took special care when drilling the last holes, because as the instructions say you could drill through the hood. That would be terrible once it is painted. Once the holes were drilled the final screws were inserted. After assembly we noticed one of the screws pushed through the hood and cracked the paint. ������
    Afterwards we noticed two different lengths of screws. Both outside screws that were inserted were the longer ones. How it didn’t do the same thing to both sides, I have no idea.
    My recommendation is that if you use the Breeze Hinge, which I still really like, is that you pay special attention to the two different lengths of screws and ensure you use the shorter screws especially on the outside (closest to fender) holes.
    MK IV Base Kit #9370 w/ FFR Lower Control Arms, donor 1996 Cobra 4.6 L DOHC; stage 2 Comp Cams, Manley forged Pistons & Rods, IMRC Delete Plates, T-45 transmission HD extra build w/ single disconnect reverse mod, 3-link w/ Koni Coil Overs 3:73 rear end. Painted and re-assembled Jan 2022.