FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Seat install ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Seat install ideas

I am at the point of the install where the seats are going in and need to be mounted. I am having issues with this process. I didn't have proper planning or just chose to be stubborn and wait to install the seats. I currently have the carpet laid and glued down and the body is on for test fitting.

I have the Kirkey high back seats with the Kirkey mounts and the Summit sliders. The sliders are a 4 bolt type slider. The four bolts fall in a position where only one bolt will go through the seat mounting plate under the car.

My solution is to get a steel plate. With the seat out of the car, I will install the seat to the plate. Then put the plate and seat in the car. I will then install the plate, over the carpet, to the seat mounting plate and tighten it down.

Does any of this make sense?

Any other ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds similar to what I did with my Kirkey install. I documented it pretty thoroughly in my build thread. Thread is linked in my signature. Index in the first post will direct you to the correct post. May give you some ideas.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it's a common approach.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly what I did, except I used 3/16" stainless steel rivets to secure the sliders to the plate. Use 14 gauge steel minimum (12 would be better) so that you can weld the mounting bolts to the plate and not have it warp. Welding the bolts lets you just drop the seat into place and secure it from below - no trying to hold a wrench under the seat.

John

IMG_4113 by jhsitton, on Flickr

IMG_4118 by jhsitton, on Flickr
    Last edited by phileas_fogg; 12-31-2018 at 09:24 AM.
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome.

Now, where the heck do I get some plates? The local store didn't have anything but 1/4 and they wanted 50 bucks a plate!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Try: onlinemetals.com - No minimums and good pricing (my opinion) plus pretty quick turnaround time. I've used them for sourcing aluminum for my firewall, footboxes and trunk modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    Look for a metals supplier in your area (such as Industrial Metal Supply). Most of these places sell their "drops" for scrap pricing.
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zilverx View Post
    Try: onlinemetals.com - No minimums and good pricing (my opinion) plus pretty quick turnaround time. I've used them for sourcing aluminum for my firewall, footboxes and trunk modifications
    Onlinemetals.com is where I got my plates. Though you may find that with shipping the $50 1/4" plate starts to look awfully attractive (assuming it's the right size, of course).

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313