Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help With Paint Color

Post Thanks / Like

Help With Paint Color

I need help with the selection of a more "true" white that is not Wimbledon White for the stripe on my car? I believe my car will be finished in Viking Blue with a white stripe. The Wimbledon White seems to me a little too "creamy," with almost a pinkish tone. Can anyone give me the name and/or paint code of a more cool or true white that might contrast well with Viking Blue?

As always, thanks in advance for the help. Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    For a pure white that is not creamy I default to GM Arctic White; WA9567. It has just a tiny bit of blue in the mix and doesn't clash with other blues. This one is darker than Viking (it's first generation Viper Blue actually) but you'll get the idea:

Cheers,
    Jeff

Stripes outside scoop.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jeff, Thank you so very much for the response. I am thinking that the Arctic White might create a little more "pop" in the Viking Blue. With that said, I will admit to knowing nothing about painting and colors. I need all the help I can get. Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    My take; with Viking Blue the Wimbledon is a bit more subdued and "Vintage" while the brighter white is a more modern stronger contrast. Neither would be a bad choice...just kind of depends on your own preference.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Again, thank you Jeff.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a 2003 White S2000 that might be what you are looking for. (FYI, only 780 made in that color-sorry I sold it)

NH565 Grand Prix White

you can check other car codes starting here on this web sight.
    https://www.automotivetouchup.com/to...da/2003/s2000/

You can order a "touchup" small jar, or a 12 oz spray can. The spray cans have a decent spray nozzle if you want to try this yourself. Or get the touch up to make a chip card.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    For a pure white that is not creamy I default to GM Arctic White; WA9567. It has just a tiny bit of blue in the mix and doesn't clash with other blues.
    X2 on what Jeff said. I have a fox Mustang painted with it, and when I park next to any other white car, the difference is like night and day

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Joel,

Your shop should be able to spray a sample of the whites you are considering next to the Viking Blue. Mine did with the springtime yellow. If they do, make sure you look at it in several different lighting conditions. Viking Blue is one of those colors that can look greenish, or grayish depending on the conditions. That may help judge which white gives you the look you want.

Chris
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all of you who have replied to question. As always so very helpful. Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is an ERA 289FIA with a color I have found stunning:

It's called Medium Maui Blue Metallic. I know Chevy has this color but understand Ford also has it. It's like Viking blue with "pop."

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is Viking Blue and Wimbledon White. Prior to painting it this color, many stated it's a creamy white but it really goes well with VB and to Jeff's point it is more "classic/vintage" but again looks really great. There are a lot of good color combo's but you definitely cannot go wrong with this.

Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I may have asked you this before, but what brand of paint was your Viking blue? It’s the exact shade I’m looking for. While we’re at it, who did your paint?
    “Privateer”
    289 USRRC Chassis #9188 p/u 9/11/2017 Go kart 3/18/2018, road legal 6/16/2018
    Ford full roller 306 built by my son and me Holley Sniper EFI
    TKO600 2015 IRS 3:55. 17” FFR Hallibrand replicas, Power steering
    FFR Vintage instruments, Wipers and Heat/defrost
    Lots of parts and advice from Mike Forte & Mark Reynolds (Breeze Automotive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
    I may have asked you this before, but what brand of paint was your Viking blue? It’s the exact shade I’m looking for. While we’re at it, who did your paint?
    I am assuming you asking me? It was painted by Ron of Metal Morpheous but sure the brand he uses.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ken - have you tried the 12oz aerosols? I'm debating between several different basecoat and stripe colors, and I was thinking this would be a great way to test different combos. For about $100 I could try out all my leading candidates/combos on some scrap metal. I would obviously have the final painter do a more formal sample for me before moving forward, but this will at least help me hone in on my direction. My favorite "classic" combo right now is the Porsche Blue Iris Metallic w/ Honda Palladium Silver (NH743M) stripes. Or, I might go with a more modern paint scheme and do Porsche Graphite Blue Metallic w/ black stripes, Porsche Miami Blue center 1" accent stripe, and Porsche chalk pin stripes outside of the main black stripes. Backdraft has an RT3B on their website in those colors and it looks really good. Two opposite approaches, but will affect many decisions on how I finish out a lot of the accessory parts (chrome vs. black).
    FFR-Stella-Ray-Shelby-AC-Cobra-5.jpgFN5A1347-641-900-675-80.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by KenWilkinson View Post
    I had a 2003 White S2000 that might be what you are looking for. (FYI, only 780 made in that color-sorry I sold it)

NH565 Grand Prix White

you can check other car codes starting here on this web sight.
    https://www.automotivetouchup.com/to...da/2003/s2000/

You can order a "touchup" small jar, or a 12 oz spray can. The spray cans have a decent spray nozzle if you want to try this yourself. Or get the touch up to make a chip card.

Post Thanks / Like
    go for it. My experience with this paint:

Pretty good nozzle, has a spray pattern, not a spot pattern. However, it sometimes puts a "splot" or spitting onto the work. Not a problem as I am painting a alum firewall on the 35 PU, and after three coats, I am wet sanding to a good finish.

I'm doing Wimbledon white with Titanium Gray checkerboard.