Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: ABS success!

Post Thanks / Like

ABS success!

OK, so I had installed the 94-97 Mustang ABS per Greg M's write-up from back in 2010-11. I was lucky, and caught the write up before his photo site went down, and wiped out all his photos. Once I finally got the wiring completed, and was able to go-kart, I found I was having a problem getting the ABS to go through self check. Could not get the light to come on and go off when the ignition was turned on. Set this item aside, but now with the completion so close, and wanting to get the body installed for the last time before paint, I needed to figure what the issue was. Thanks to Greg M, and some local friends, I discovered that I had managed a total f*** up. I had installed an auxiliary fuse panel for the seat heaters, and a couple other items, and it had a hot at all times, and a hot in run section. The hot in run I wanted to run through a relay, 75A, so there was no load on the ignition switch. So I got it all wired up, and the switched power for the ABS light did not have power. Well, you've heard the saying, "physician, heal thy self", well I created a situation where it was "relay, power thyself". I had connected the switched power leg for the relay to the switched power section of the new fuse panel that was supposed to be powered by the relay! Dumb a**! A friend, who is a mechanic came by and discovered my screw up in about 20 minutes! Fixed it today, and now the system does a self check with the key on, and it passes. Man I glad it was my stupidity with wiring, and not a problem with the ABS unit itself. I had actually bought a replacement unit from MPS Salvage in Georgia thinking I may need the parts, or may need to completely replace the unit I had, but thankfully I don't have to do a complete replacement of the unit, which would have sucked big time!

Just have a couple of items to finish before I get set up for paint, but now I can get it registered, and after all this time, actually get to drive it more than just go-karting around the neighborhood. I knew my weakness, well I should say my worst weakness, was going to be the wiring. But thanks to a bunch of people, Greg M, Doc, and countless others, I've managed to work my way through all this. Thank you to everyone who has commented on all my threads where I was struggling with whatever, because without all of you, I would have never reached this point. Thanks so much.
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Rick, glad it was something simple to correct, you are on a roll now!!!
    Mk 3.1 #6616 Complete Kit, July 2008 Start, Gromm Racing 347, TKO 500, IRS, Carmine Red / Wimbleton White
    Mk 3.1 #6756 Complete Kit, May 2016 kit completion, Smeding Alum. 427 Stack Injection, TKO600, Custom Silver/Blue (SOLD)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dave! I'm just not sure if it's onion or kaiser!
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike

4. Likes SJDave liked this post