Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: 33 Hot rod #1087

Post Thanks / Like

33 Hot rod #1087

Hi everyone.

Got the best Christmas present ever. 33 full kit plus a 2017 Mustang donor car. Now the fun begins.

I'm going to need some help but I think almost every question I have has probably already been answered in one thread or another.

Mick

2. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, Merry Christmas and congratulations! Keep us in the loop with your progress
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations and happy New Year

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys.

I will post as things happen or don't happen.1546772953969390.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    The donor is a 2017 GT Premium, 355mm discs and 6 pot calipers. It had only done 8000km. I got the whole car for less than a crate engine. Bargain.

8. Likes erlihemi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    where did you get the 33 hot rod from

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kado06 View Post
    Darren in Melbourne. 03 93124722

Post Thanks / Like
    G'day Mick, I've also recently taken delivery of a '33 Rod (#1093) and look forward to following your progress.

I note in your photos that the pedal box is already welded in on the RHS, along with the steering bracket near the engine mount. Was this done by FFR or Darren?

Have you discussed the project with an engineer? Mine wants to see strength analysis tests on the control arms and FFR have stated they've never had to provide anything like this to any Aussie customers. I'm thinking I should switch engineers......

Cheers,
    Brad

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Brad,
    Have you had any luck with the strength analysis of your control arms? I may be able to assist if numerical models will satisfy your engineer and you can get a digital model of the control arms from Factory Five.

A question on the hot rod, How stiff is the chassis and does it meet the 4000Nm/deg requirement without modification?

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like
    No luck with the strength analysis chopboy. FFR couldn't/wouldn't provide any info. I've since changed engineers for a number of reasons and my current guy is a little more realistic.

I purchased the torsion & beaming test from another 33 owner ('barrel' on here), and he added an additional brace across the bottom of the chassis at the firewall. This resulted in a figure of 6025 Nm/deg. Not sure what the unmodified value is.

Do you have a build in progress?

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting FFR couldn't provide the info as I believe they use solidworks, which has an integrated FEA suite.
    The new engineer sounds like a good outcome.

I was not aware you could provide a torsion test result from another car for an ICV, I just assumed you would have to have each vehicle tested. I take it you will add the brace to your frame to match the certificate?

No, I have small children, so have neither the time nor the money to start a kit car build. I do have the software and skills to undertake implicit and explicit finite element analyses, so thought I might be able to help you out if you were still stuck.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it was more a case of wouldn't provide the info. The engineering team appear to be flat out and there is nothing in it for them.

Both engineers I dealt with were OK with using test results from another source. Obviously both chassis need to be identical. Yep, I'm in the process of adding the brace now.

In further developments, my engineer has spoken with the powers that be and confirmed i can get the 33 through on the Street Rod plate scheme rather than going ICV, which means a whole lot less red tape.

Thanks for the offer though, I'll certainly keep that in mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's interesting, If I had the resources to start a kit car project it would likely be a 65 coupe or 818, So i know next to nothing about the street rod rules. Will they permit you to use an older engine, ie no emissions requirement at all?

Post Thanks / Like
    You wouldn't be able to get the 65 coupe or 818 through on the SR scheme. An extract from the guidelines:
    Extract.PNG

Yep, it appears nearly anything goes with engines. The limit is 460ci, but it can be blown/turboed up to a limit of 9 psi. I can't see anything in the regs on emissions requirements

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Brad. Sorry for taking so long to reply. I havent been getting notifications for some reason. Darren did the conversion and supplied a steering rack he had made by Unisteer. My engineer hasn't asked for any strength tests yet but he might at some stage. I think he was more interested in rigidity for the frame. What state are you in?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kado06 View Post
    Were you planning on buying one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MonstaS4 View Post
    G'day Mick, I've also recently taken delivery of a '33 Rod (#1093) and look forward to following your progress.

I note in your photos that the pedal box is already welded in on the RHS, along with the steering bracket near the engine mount. Was this done by FFR or Darren?

Have you discussed the project with an engineer? Mine wants to see strength analysis tests on the control arms and FFR have stated they've never had to provide anything like this to any Aussie customers. I'm thinking I should switch engineers......

Cheers,
    Brad
    Hi Brad. Sorry for taking so long to reply. I havent been getting notifications for some reason. Darren did the conversion and supplied a steering rack he had made by Unisteer. My engineer hasn't asked for any strength tests yet but he might at some stage. I think he was more interested in rigidity for the frame. What state are you in?

Post Thanks / Like

No room for clutch pedal and tunnel

No room for the clutch to be depressed. Which makes me depressed. There is a ton of room between the gearbox and tunnel though. I was thinking about chopping this out anyway for a bit more leg room, I'm not thinking about it anymore, I have no choice. I'm working out how much I can cut out or if anything else is to be routed through that area.. I was also going to do this on the passenger side but there is zero room, not happening. I'm never sitting in the passenger seat anyway so that doesn't bother me. I was just a bit worried about non-symmetrical look but I can't worry about that anymore.

I was also thinking about making a whole new tunnel from aluminium. Will see.

The Coyote accelerator pedal IS A PITA. Next on the list.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MickHope View Post
    Sorry for the thread hijack Mick. I'm in Ballarat, Victoria....around 7 hours drive from you.

Quote Originally Posted by MickHope View Post
    No room for the clutch to be depressed. Which makes me depressed. There is a ton of room between the gearbox and tunnel though. I was thinking about chopping this out anyway for a bit more leg room, I'm not thinking about it anymore, I have no choice. I'm working out how much I can cut out or if anything else is to be routed through that area.. I was also going to do this on the passenger side but there is zero room, not happening. I'm never sitting in the passenger seat anyway so that doesn't bother me. I was just a bit worried about non-symmetrical look but I can't worry about that anymore.

I was also thinking about making a whole new tunnel from aluminium. Will see.
    I'm also going manual and noted there wasn't a whole lot of foot room. Can't you cut the top of the tunnel & 'squeeze' it in a little as per the manual?

Post Thanks / Like
    I might not like what it looks like. I will do it and see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone.
    So regarding the torsion test, this was carried out on a 33 Hot Rod in Perth a while back and it originally failed the test. Some strengthening was then added to the test unit and it passed. This was all done by Chris Canning from Component Cars (Perth, WA), but I don't think he operates anymore. The car was completed and registered.

However I was under the impression Factory Five incorporated those changes into the design - but I cannot confirm this. But they do know about the tests - it's disappointing they wont share the data.
    Tim
    FFR MkIV #7393 - LS3, TR6060, 8.8" - Registered 2015 - Painted 2019
    HSV Clubsport R8
    Kwaka ZX-14R