Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Room for another one

Post Thanks / Like

Room for another one

Hi from Norcal. Just purchased a previously started MK4 kit from a local guy a couple weeks ago. Actually, the only thing "started" was he loosely bolting the front suspension together 4 years ago and then life got in the way. I loaded everything up and it's now sitting in the garage ready to start again. I've spent the last couple weeks sorting through boxes and bags and getting ready to jump in. It's a pin drive IFS/IRS setup. Should be a fun project. I currently have a 1993 build Classic Roadster Cobra that I've had for about 6 years, but have always wanted to build my own some day. Well I guess today is the day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations and welcome. I hope you start a build thread!

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome and welcome to the group.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the welcome guys. I'm still going through the assembly manual and verifying parts, but I thinking the book is vague, or should I say absolutely no information found on narrow width pin drive IFS or IRS suspension. It's looking like the kit came with narrow width pin drive lower control arms, but the spindles are stock FFR MK4 spindles, not the SN95's. Also with the kit are adapter brackets, #13819, but I think these are for standard width lower control arms, not narrow width pin drive?
    The IRS seems to be correct and all there. It could be that's why the previous owner stopped assembling the front after trying to mount MK4 spindles to the narrow lower control arms.
    Everything it torn back apart while I try and figure out what happened 4 years ago...

Curt

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitten View Post
    Thanks for the welcome guys. I'm still going through the assembly manual and verifying parts, but I thinking the book is vague, or should I say absolutely no information found on narrow width pin drive IFS or IRS suspension. It's looking like the kit came with narrow width pin drive lower control arms, but the spindles are stock FFR MK4 spindles, not the SN95's. Also with the kit are adapter brackets, #13819, but I think these are for standard width lower control arms, not narrow width pin drive?
    The IRS seems to be correct and all there. It could be that's why the previous owner stopped assembling the front after trying to mount MK4 spindles to the narrow lower control arms.
    Everything it torn back apart while I try and figure out what happened 4 years ago...

Curt
    I can't offer any help with the pin drive setup, but there are folks here that certainly can. If you don't get a response to those questions in a day or so, try creating a new post in the Roadster forum with your specific question in the title and I'm sure you will get the help you need.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitten View Post

Curt
    FFR had a rash of mispackaged front pin drive width Mk4s a few years ago and several builders got snake bit (no pun intended) by it. You are correct; pin drive requires (A) Narrower front lower control arms, (B) SN95 spindles rather than the 2 piece FFR spindles and (C) specific spindle adapters #12507 as shown here:

Compare this to the standard width adapters #13819 like you received and note how much closer in to the spindle holes the ball joint block is:

The pin drive width instructions would have come as a supplement and are not in either the base or complete kit manual...in a nutshell you build the front suspension as if it was donor based and mount the UCAs using the top mounts rather than side mounts with the only difference being that it is assembled with the different lower arms and spindle adapters.

As good as FFR is about taking care of their customers when errors occur since so much time has passed and you are not the original purchaser you may find that you have to eat the problem. Give them a call and perhaps they'll be willing to work with you on the cost of the correct components, some of which can be recouped by selling the 2 piece spindle set.

Let us know how we can help and good luck!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info Jeff
    I’ll see if F5 is willing to swap parts before bit the bullet and order the correct parts

Curt

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome and congrats. Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome from a Type 65 newbie. Good luck with your build, I'll be following your progress.