BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GTF Supercar

Post Thanks / Like

GTF Supercar

I have been checking in fairly regularly to look for updates on the new supercar that has been brought up in this forum. I read Dave's article on the GTF supercar when he released it on Dec 31 and was blown away. I have finally gotten around to writing this now. I am surprised there isn't already a discussion on it! Factory Five Racing does some amazing work. This new shift in technology is going to be awesome for FFR. I love the car from the angles they showed. I was hoping for something aggressive and angular with unique feature. Kind of like a cross better the newest GT40 and the C7 Vette. I love the front quarters; they are like an semi-open wheel design. Dave said he doesn't like the current nose and some quarters. I hope the front quarters are not part of the "some" quarters. What are everyone else's thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm also very pleased that FFR is headed in this direction with a modern looking kit...in a market dominated by copies of other (old) cars. Before the GTM came out, I strongly considered building my whole business model on the idea of taking one of FFR's Roadster or Type 65 kits and fabricating and selling a modern body to fit their chassis. I'm surprised that it has taken FFR this long to do the same. Very encouraging to see them adopting this new tech to create the bodywork. Once they get this mastered......if I owned FFR I would probably work toward developing new body versions for everything they already build! Why not make 2 different bodies to fit the 818 chassis so customers have a choice?.....all of the mechanical stuff is already done, so the only new inventory they would have to deal with is just the stuff related to the body itself. Same with the rest of their line-up.

Getting back to the GTF specifically, I do like the look they are going after. As mentioned in the SEMA thread, the only beef I have with the design is the area behind the front wheels. While I don't mind the look of that so much, the reality is that all of the paint is going to get stripped off of that area within a few hundred miles of driving......and no one wants to spend tens of thousands of dollars building the car of their dreams only to be forced to drive it around with half the paint stripped off. If you're going to build the Ultimate Garage & Trailer Queen, it's a cool concept.......but in the everyday reality of actually being able to drive the car, I don't think that design is realistic. And again....as I mentioned in the SEMA thread, with the new technology they are using, I see no reason that FFR should limit themselves to "one or the other". You have the tools to offer 2 different "front fender" versions of the car for those who can't live without that open wheel look and for those who want to drive the car and keep the paint on the car.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

3. Likes Jim Haar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    As mentioned in the SEMA thread, the only beef I have with the design is the area behind the front wheels. While I don't mind the look of that so much, the reality is that all of the paint is going to get stripped off of that area within a few hundred miles of driving......
    Shane, that is a good point I didn't consider. I liked the uniqueness. Uniqueness similar to the rear quarters of the GT40. I guess my take was if I am going to spent the time and money to build a supercar, I don't want it to just blend in.

EDIT: Based on your SEMA thread comment, I went looking for that and I guess I am late to the party!

Mods can delete this thread if wanted as it is redundant. I can re-post there is this is deleted.
    Last edited by Kasmodean; 01-03-2019 at 09:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm happy to see a dedicated GTF thread here. The SEMA thread has a bunch of other things going on besides just the GTF. I was thinking there would be a lot more people chiming in here?
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the concept is on a good path. The first thing I thought of with the open front wheel wells was the loss of paint down the side. I agree with Kasmodean. I like the uniqueness. Maybe a black screen can be added to complete the curve of the wheel well - something unobtrusive but keeps the debris to a minimum. Maybe then some strategically placed clear bra pieces would take care of the rest. I'm guessing the rear wing would only be needed for racing. I always chuckle a little to myself when I see cars with great big aero on the street. Would the diffuser provide enough down force for street use, or would it be nice to add a little more lip to the back deck lid? With all the curves and and hard lines, a little more lip back there might look good too. They may not need to add any height to the back deck, maybe just give it a little more of a valley at the bottom of the glass to give more angle to the back edge. No expert here, just thinking out loud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I can't wait for this car to come out. I'm definitely loving the direction they are going.

I've already created a GTF forum, just waiting for critical mass to turn it on.

re: motivation I'm thinking a tuned gen3 Coyote, good for for 530 fwhp with a few tweaks.

I don't have access to any new info but my guess is the whole car is still open to be revised and the first cut was an exercise.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish they would release what the donor car will be. Yes, I know what it’s based on, but I don’t want to start collecting parts to find out later that something else (better) works.

This is the only car that “looks” right. GTM and 818 just look... like kit cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by donk_316 View Post
    I wish they would release what the donor car will be. Yes, I know what it’s based on, but I don’t want to start collecting parts to find out later that something else (better) works.

This is the only car that “looks” right. GTM and 818 just look... like kit cars.
    I feel you. I wanted a GTM at first but the look of the car had me going back and forth, then the 818 came out and I really liked the look of it but didn't want the power plant. I started leaning towards a gen 3 coupe but the wife hated the look of it which sucked since it had the power plant I wanted. This car looks like it can be a winner since I'm hoping it uses the same parts as the gen 3 coupe and the wife liked the teaser pics we have. So much so shes even willing to pitch in and help me start getting the parts! So i hope they release some more info soon while shes still in a good mood!

Post Thanks / Like
    Man... your story is IDENTICAL to mine, even the wife input and feedback.. we are GTF bros before the car is even released.. haha

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on the Daytona so Mustang running gear

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been checking the forum every day for updates on this project. I am a wee bit too excited. Really hoping the development process leads to a body that can be finished with less effort than the current cars. That would be icing on the cake.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/idothingsquickly/videos

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm definitely excited about the direction the next super car is headed to me so far the car is very Ferrari 812 Superfast and F12 TDF and I have no problems with that. I hope they stick with the mustang drive train and price the car more in the range of the type 65 than the GTM. In regards to the open front fender I think that would be a great place for some type of vented carbon fiber panel.

Post Thanks / Like
    So basically any engine I want, as long as it’s a Ford V8?
    Last edited by donk_316; 01-11-2019 at 02:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Dol View Post
    Based on the Daytona so Mustang running gear

John

My comment on this is there may still be an issue. I say that because something being "based" on the Daytona frame does not mean identical to the Daytona frame. For instance the Gen 2 Hot Rod is "based" off the Gen 1 frame but there have been some big changes to the frame. Until we know what changes might have been made to the frame we can't guarantee what will be required.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have much to add beyond what has already been so eloquently said. I just want to add my support to the new Supercar. I will certainly be grilling the FFR team at the Barrett Jackson next week to find out anything more about their progress. About the only thing I didn't love about the car was the opening behind the front wheels. Just a personal taste thing I guess. It just didn't hit me. Shane's observation about the paint being destroyed in that area is spot on.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m following development of the GTF also. Been waiting to build my first FFR since, well....forever. Fell in love with them in the late 90’s seeing their ads in the back of magazines, and it’s been an obsession ever since.

It’s between the GTF and Type 65 for me. Conveniently, it looks like they will share a chassis. Powerplant was always going to be Coyote for the Type 65 anyway, so this is just opening up the prospect of a new body. As for the open fender behind front wheels, I think it’s bold sure, but also brilliant. There are a few Aston Martin and Ferrari designs using this aesthetic (also has a functional purpose in racing if aero here is designed properly), but the point is it’s different and exciting. It will draw attention and be a heck of a conversation starter. Rock chips can be ENTIRELY mitigated through a comprehensive clear wrap over the entire painted portion. There is some high tech film material available today that many supercar owners wrap their entire cars with, which makes rock chips a thing of the past. You can still wax it to boot!

Can’t wait for more design photos and info on the GTF.
    Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build
    Ordered 4/23/19 | Delivered 6/29/19 | First Start 8/1/20 | First Drive 9/20/20

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by donk_316 View Post
    Man... your story is IDENTICAL to mine, even the wife input and feedback.. we are GTF bros before the car is even released.. haha
    I'm down to be GTF bros. Probably won't be a day 1 buyer but I am already putting money away and just waiting to get final confirmation that it will be using mustang running gear or not. I wonder if it will come as a complete like the coupe-r. Pretty much only reason I haven't went and bought a donor car yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    https://youtu.be/HAzhBjtK9dA
    Saw this on YouTube

20. Thanks AZPete thanked for this post
    Likes SkiRideDrive liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally a proper glimpse of the front of the car.
    I like it a lot!

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Drooling. Like Jazzman, I'll try to pry info on the GTF from the FFR team at Barrett-Jackson. I'm thinking donuts or pizza.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Dol View Post
    Finally a proper glimpse of the front of the car.
    I like it a lot!

John
    I don't think we should get to attached to the current front end. Dave said he didn't like it. I hope Dave still sticks with something edgy and modern.
    Last edited by Kasmodean; 01-13-2019 at 10:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    I’m following development of the GTF also. Been waiting to build my first FFR since, well....forever. Fell in love with them in the late 90’s seeing their ads in the back of magazines, and it’s been an obsession ever since.
    I am in the same boat. I have been watching Factory Five since college in the 2005 time frame. I liked the performance but wasn't so convinced about the styling of a cobra. Then the GTM came out and wow! I was still in college, but I loved it. But the mid engine transaxle seemed to be a pain in the butt. Then the 818. I really considered (and am still considering ) the 818. But it seems plain to me. I feel like I would end up doing a lot of body mods. Now this. V8 power without messing with a mid-engine transaxle and styling too. I can't wait for SEMA 19. It will give me some time to get my garage in order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasmodean View Post
    I am in the same boat. I have been watching Factory Five since college in the 2005 time frame. I liked the performance but wasn't so convinced about the styling of a cobra. Then the GTM came out and wow! I was still in college, but I loved it. But the mid engine transaxle seemed to be a pain in the butt. Then the 818. I really considered (and am still considering ) the 818. But it seems plain to me. I feel like I would end up doing a lot of body mods. Now this. V8 power without messing with a mid-engine transaxle and styling too. I can't wait for SEMA 19. It will give me some time to get my garage in order.
    I share most of these thoughts with you. No offense to FFR, but I think they really missed the mark on the 818 as far as the styling goes. There's not much about the body that I like, but I think the concept they were after was good. Not to drag this thread off course, but for a mid-engine sports car (not supercar or muscle car), I still think they've missed a huge opportunity.....and that is to pick up where the K-1 Attack left off.....gorgeous, aggressive styling, relatively simple/basic design (nothing in the interior was even upholstered...just painted) and a transverse engine/transaxle lifted out of the front of a donor car and dropped into the rear of new chassis. I built one complete for $34k in grand total expenses.....and with some refinements to the kit, it could be done for much, much less than that. Light-weight, killer looks, simple design, CHEAP to build.

I'm also hoping this GTF ticks most of those boxes.....

My personal note to Dave Smith....in the glimpse of the very front of the GTF seen in the video in post #18 above.....You guys are definitely on the right track with that! Keep up the great work!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    arkqIzi.jpg

Can't say I am a fan of the front end to be honest, I don't think it fits with the rest of the car at all. It needs to be much sleeker/modern with the headlights and slightly less aggressive on the bumper but each to their own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    arkqIzi.jpg

Can't say I am a fan of the front end to be honest, I don't think it fits with the rest of the car at all. It needs to be much sleeker/modern with the headlights and slightly less aggressive on the bumper but each to their own.
    I can see where Dave Smith's issues are with the front. He's right to revise. I love the other four sides though. Just the front bumper needs a lot of work. As you say, it doesn't match the rest of the car. Maybe some Vulcan/Sagaris inspiration is in order.

I've wanted to build a FFR car for the longest time. I'm in a place now where I have the time and money to do so but all the other models have issues I just cannot get past. Usually along the lines of not being the best for 6'3".

Patrick
    94 BB Rx-7 3030lb

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like Superformance had some similar thoughts......

https://www.rcnmag.com/news/superfor...elby-gr-1-gr-1
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

29. Thanks Jkviper thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    arkqIzi.jpg

In trying to get an aggressive look, I can't help but see a resemblance to a jack o lantern. I agree a more "sophisticated " look to the front bumper is needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I saw the front end, I initially thought of the McLaren 720S. I'm glad they're spending more time on the design, it just needs to be a little more elegant, like the rear. The bottom of the front bumper kind of reminds me of an aftermarket body kit from fast and furious.
    gtf.jpgmclaren.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    That lower bumper is definitely fast and furious. Good getting rid of that. Very 2000s. The headlights may look better on a car with some color.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will be interested in se the GTF finally come out, might have to be my next project

Post Thanks / Like
    This is great for FFR. I built my GTM and we all know how building one of those go. The GTF is great, but I hope they put extra time into the little things. More then at least 6" to see through the windshield, a little more room in the interior, have windows that work without modify the entire door and finally have them seal. its the small things that make the difference. I'm hoping they can keep the costs for the kit reasonable, but as we all know everything is increasing in price, so have to wait and see what the "base" kit will be. They may do the low base kit price, but all the nice goodies will add up quick and we all know we will get the goodies.
    Team Bouffard
    GenII #369 - SOLD
    1968 Camaro - work in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the front should be changed to something like the Brabham Bt62....simple, high aero, and timeless.

Post Thanks / Like
    I *knew* I had seen a similar front end before but I couldn't remember where, then this popped up on my news feed. It's the 'new' TVR Griffith.

FFR.... please don't! You've got the rear and sides so tidy! Let's bring home the front and knock it out the park!

Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding this new TVR Griffith, check out the exhausts! No sidepipe below the door, just an exhaust exit out the side, much like the Mercedes SLR McLaren.
    Check out the Renntech Merc SLR McLaren system here, just to see how it's done: https://renntechme.com/product/rennt...ll-sport-cats/

38. Likes Benji liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has FFR actually gone on record as to when they plan to release the GTF?

Post Thanks / Like
    The guys at Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale said the GTF would not be released at the 2019 SEMA, but couldn't give me any other time estimate.
    I need another project.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

41. Likes Benji liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you look at the Huntington Beach thread post 36 Dave Smith is , from what I'm reading between the lines, is waiting till their 25th anniversary to bring out the new car.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ton-Beach-2019
    Last edited by flynntuna; 02-09-2019 at 12:59 PM.

43. Likes Benji liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gives me time to finish the 818 and start saving money again. Cant wait regardless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info! 2020 it is!

Post Thanks / Like
    2020? Holy moly I’ll lose interest, remember, obsess, forget - repeat two or three times by then!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast