Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: A/C blowing through defrost and front vents

Post Thanks / Like

A/C blowing through defrost and front vents

Have been having a ton of issues with the A/C. Went to a friend of mine today, we vacuumed the system and refilled it and got it blowing cold. Biggest issue is that the center knob on the vintage air control panel seems not to be working correctly. I have air blowing through the defrost vents and the front vents of the car at the same time. We checked the control panel and it seems to be working fine, it pushes 5 volts in 2 different circuits but when cycling through the circuits nothing happens. So issue is probably elsewhere. Seems that most of the pressure goes to the defrost side not the front vents, so it is not a comfortable ride in South Florida weather, even at this time of the year. Seems that there must be some flaps on the evaporator to direct air, and either we are not getting power there of the flap or flaps are stuck. Any ideas on how to maybe get this working without disassembling half the car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like this is a completed car?....if so your options are pretty limited. I'd give VA a call, and assuming that you can get to the back side of the control knobs and connector/harness there, they should be able to walk you thru some sort of diagnostic checks to at least rule out a failure of the control knobs. Other than that, if the doors inside the AC unit are not being controlled properly, that probably won't be a pleasant fix.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Car is fully completed and painted and all, LOL. I called VA today and could not talk to anyone, sent them an email explaining the issue. Keeping my fingers crossed that I do not have to disassemble half the car

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the switches from Automotive Buttons Pty Ltd in Australia, they arrive in about 5 days. Here is a like to their site: www.billetautomotivebuttons.com, I posted this on my page as well but thought I would post it your as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are really nice. Ordering from Australia will suck, but it is probably worth it. this is exactly what I was looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Only takes about five days to get them and if you consider the exchange rate USD to Australian dollar the price ain't to bad either. Good luck with your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Was finally able to resolve the issue. After emailing VA and going through some stuff, I figured out that the issue was not in the controller. I was thinking that I would have to dismantle the whole interior to do this but I decided to give it one last try today to see if I could resolve it. I read in another forum of people having this issue because the evaporator was somehow pushed into a spot where the plastic on the outside of it was stressed and deformed just enough so that the motors on the vents could not move. I removed the radio and was able to get my hand in there, and after pushing 2 of the vent tubes to the side, I could see the top of two of the vent motors. I quickly figured out that the one closest to me was the one that controlled the air coming out your feet, I would move the controller and I could feel the motor working and the air going to my feet. I left that one alone and went to the one behind it, which I could barely see and I was moving it mostly by touch. I started pushing on it and hitting the controller until I felt the motor working, finally the defrost vents closed and I had air coming out the front vents! I was the happiest guy on planet earth at that moment in time I still do not know if by pushing it got unstuck, or if maybe the wires were not well connected, and by pushing on them they got a good connection, but I really do not care, I have air coming out the front vents and I will no longer be sweating in the South Florida sun. Note to others, make sure to check the full function of your AC before you finish the car, trying to get to it is almost impossible after the car is finished...