Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Satin black paint

Post Thanks / Like

Satin black paint

I am about to mount my front suspension. I want to paint my donor spindles and calipers to match the satin powder coating. I also have a few brackets that came in gloss black I need to paint. What did you use to match the satin powder coating?
    Thanks, Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    I like VHT SP652 Satin Black Epoxy Paint. The gloss black version common at Oreillys etc, might have to look for the satin.
    358 SBC, Winters QC, Sweet mfg, Coleman, AP Racing, ARS, TKO 600, Fuel Safe

Post Thanks / Like
    The Rustoleum Satin Black also matches well.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Rustolem is an easy get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eastwood has a rat rod satin black that matches well. Available in a 2k aerosol can or in single stage if you prefer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    I am about to mount my front suspension. I want to paint my donor spindles and calipers to match the satin powder coating. I also have a few brackets that came in gloss black I need to paint. What did you use to match the satin powder coating?
    Thanks, Rob
    RobW

Is you frame satin black? Mine is gloss. Did FFR change their powder coat recently? My kit arrived this past April 2018.

Steve
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ILPBFoot View Post
    RobW

Did FFR change their powder coat recently?
    Yes, changed to a satin black middle of 2018.

Jeff

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You may want to look at Rustoleum's Barbeque Black paint too.
    We sprayed the brake rotors on my son's car with it last summer and it is a FLAT BLACK that really holds up well to high heat situation.
    I know you don't need the High Heat Capability, but it is a flat black that has really impressed me for paint that came out of a rattle can.

Good Luck From The Dark-Dart Side!

Baby Go-Dad's Ride:

https://youtu.be/A5WUZgl6N5Q
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-04-2019 at 07:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies. Not pleased with the Rustoleum satin black primer. Not dark enough. I will try the enamel and see how that goes a well as look for a can of the VHT. LeadFoot, I was surprised to see that satin black as I had already purchased a small can of Gloss Black Por15 I do like the satin. When I picked up my kit at the end of April, I was told that the powder coat had just changed to Satin. GoDad, I do have some of the Rustoleum BBQ paint. I was planning on using that on my donor calipers and spindles. I'll compare that to the chassis before I buy anything else.

Still going pretty slow but finally have the aluminum removed and drilled and just about to drill the chassis. I am a little unsure of the F panel placement. Should I line them up with the factory holes or will they cause interference if I move them back a 1/2 inch so the tips are not on the welds. I'd like to get them on as flat of surface as possible to reduce vibrations by slapping against the welds. Or, am I overthinking this?

Thanks again,
    Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    The BBQ paint is dead flat with no sheen and will not match. Satin/matte finish is tough to match because of the difference in sheen but also because of the "halo" that you get when you try to spray a touch up That's why I was kind of disappointed to see the change in finish.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    The color matches well but as Jeff said, the sheen is wrong.
    I suppose if I spray the entire length of the rail that is visable with the hood open, the difference will be negligible. In the picture, the satin rustoleum is really niticible. The BBQ not so much.
    20190105_112419.jpg

Rob