Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Cost?

Post Thanks / Like

Cost?

I am currently considering buying an mk4 roadster. Can any tell me the rough TOTAL cost to purchase the complete kit and have it shipped in Canadian funds? Big thanks for your input.

2. Likes Ponymedic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The complete kit and all the options prices are listed on the FFR order form on the website. You can get a very accurate total cost that way for the kit and shipping.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I suggest you ping another Canuck builder as they will know the exact costs. Are you planning of picking it up at FF or arranging shipping. Also bear in mind the Canuck kit is different as not all parts can be shipped to Canada(very stupid but whatever).
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Reach out Ryan Valins, he’s on Facebook and does a lot of orders for the Canadian folk

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok thanks everyone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty sure the "complete kit" can't come into Canada.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can only import a special version of "car parts" into Canada and there is a special procedure that must be followed with transport canada. The rest of the parts have to be sourced seperatly and Ryan Valins is one of them. Do a search on this site it has been discussed many times. Cost will depend on options, new vs donor etc. Shipping and broker fees on the "BIG" box from FFR are about $2000 to alberta, taxes to other provinces will be more. Total cost will be about $40k plus paint and up. There are a few cars in the Edmonton area that are well into 6 figures.
    David W
    Last edited by David Williamson; 01-04-2019 at 09:37 AM.
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dabears.

In 2012, when the Canadian dollar was slightly more than the US, my complete project was about $50-$55,000. That includes the cost of shipping and taxes. With the Canadian dollar at .75 US, and the additional charges on steel/aluminum (national security tariffs), I would be hard pressed to replace the car for $80,000 Canadian today.
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Post Thanks / Like
    I just ordered a 65 coupe canadian kit and worked with Ryan Valin for the rest of the kit plus ordered through him a BluePrint engine. 55000 US dollars estimate is ok in my view. You have to add taxes, customs, duty, blah, blah, blah...
    By the way, I waited for the fall sale and saved 2000 US$. Plus I am planning on going to FFR grab my kit...Am I saving doing this, I don’t know? But it’s part of the fun for me.
    There a so much variables; engine, wheels, tires,etc...Plus paint is not included in the above mentioned 55kus.

Post Thanks / Like

Nearing the finish

Quote Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
    I am currently considering buying an mk4 roadster. Can any tell me the rough TOTAL cost to purchase the complete kit and have it shipped in Canadian funds? Big thanks for your input.
    Not sure how old this is but I picked mine up in February (2019). I live in the GTA. Way better and way cheaper to pick it up (if you haven't already). Easy to get across the border as long as you have your paperwork and don't screw up when you chatting with customs. Remember, you are importing 'car parts', not a car. It's not a big deal, you just have to pay the HST. I just took a 16' cube van down one day, stayed over night and picked it up and drove back in the morning.

Nearing the final stages of the build now. About to send the body for paint and a month or so of work left. Costs vary a lot from one build to the next. I have met owners who painted their own cars for $1000. and other who spent $10,000 on paint. Crate engines vs Rebuilds, donor drive trains vs Tremecs and $2,500+ rear ends all can make huge differences and in the end, a lot of it is really personal in terms of what kind of animal you end up with. I am just ordering tires and wheels and I am now probably in the $60,000 range with some of the decisions we have made. I am not smart enough or patient enough to build this myself. I am working with an amazing builder. By the way, for your original question, the Canadian kit pricing on on the FFR web site and from there it depends on how crazy you go with options. Like everything I have ever done, as I have progressed through this, I have made the decision in a few places to spend a fair bit more than my original budget. Happy to chat more if you want to.

BTW, Ryan Valin is great in terms of chatting with an experienced guy who knows his way around FFR and all the in's and out's of a build, importing etc. He just finished a monster machine of his own last year.

Post Thanks / Like
    In Canada there are not that many shops that will paint our cars. From what others have told me recently here in Alberta I think a good paint job will be more in the $15-20K range. My Mkll was about $8k for a basic job 14 years ago when the shop rate was $50 an hour now the shop rates are more like $100 so about double. I know a great job with perfect panel fit, a few minor mods and color sanding will be $30+ this is a for a high end show paint job.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GDH1234 View Post
    Not sure how old this is but I picked mine up in February (2019). I live in the GTA. Way better and way cheaper to pick it up (if you haven't already). Easy to get across the border as long as you have your paperwork and don't screw up when you chatting with customs. Remember, you are importing 'car parts', not a car. It's not a big deal, you just have to pay the HST. I just took a 16' cube van down one day, stayed over night and picked it up and drove back in the morning.

Nearing the final stages of the build now. About to send the body for paint and a month or so of work left. Costs vary a lot from one build to the next. I have met owners who painted their own cars for $1000. and other who spent $10,000 on paint. Crate engines vs Rebuilds, donor drive trains vs Tremecs and $2,500+ rear ends all can make huge differences and in the end, a lot of it is really personal in terms of what kind of animal you end up with. I am just ordering tires and wheels and I am now probably in the $60,000 range with some of the decisions we have made. I am not smart enough or patient enough to build this myself. I am working with an amazing builder. By the way, for your original question, the Canadian kit pricing on on the FFR web site and from there it depends on how crazy you go with options. Like everything I have ever done, as I have progressed through this, I have made the decision in a few places to spend a fair bit more than my original budget. Happy to chat more if you want to.

BTW, Ryan Valin is great in terms of chatting with an experienced guy who knows his way around FFR and all the in's and out's of a build, importing etc. He just finished a monster machine of his own last year.
    I’m also in the GTA and driving mine in gel coat. Curious who you are getting to do body work and paint?

Post Thanks / Like

FFR MK4Paint

It is a contact of a friend of mine. He really doesn't do a lot of painting any more but he has a paint shop and my friend has seen his work on a few projects and said it is pretty darn good. It should be done in 4 weeks so I will post a photo and give you some feedback then. I am going with the 2019 Volvo Fusion Red Metallic. It cost a good few $$ but I love that colour. Can't believe some of the numbers people are throwing around out there for things like paint. If you ever spend $15,000 to $20,000 on paint, you should just fold up the tent now. Some day it would be nice to get something remotely close to your investment back out of this car. I see all kinds of guys who are trying to sell these cars for $75,000 +++ because they put so much into them. If you look around, in the GTA, you will easily find a good paint job for $5,000 to $6,000 (including body work). An absolutely premium job at full retail pricing (who pays retail these days?) is about $10,000. I just don't see the value in that unless you are looking for ways to use up all of that extra cash that you have kicking around )

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not so sure you will "easily" find a good paint job including body work for $5-$6K Canadian funds. If their is someone out there that does that I'm sure they will soon have many customers.

Troy
    " The journey is the reward" Chinese Proverb
    FFR Roadster #5380
    FFR Spyder GT #030

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 7tvette View Post
    I'm not so sure you will "easily" find a good paint job including body work for $5-$6K Canadian funds. If their is someone out there that does that I'm sure they will soon have many customers.
    I second this, finding someone that will perform the paint job in the first place can be challenging, and when you do you'll be paying for skilled hours. I'm in southern Ontario and I contacted and interviewed over 10 places before finding someone that A) actually wanted to tackle a job like this (body shops want nothing to do with it, they're busy with insurance claims) and B) had the expertise and references. These fiberglass bodies are a LOT of work to prep on bodywork alignment, surface prep and the final coatings. Do the math, if you're paying someone $80 an hour for $6K you're saying it will be less than 65 hours hours to get a body from gel coat to finished product if you account for the actual materials cost. If you 'know someone' that will help a lot, but if you're hiring a shop that knows what it's doing, plan on 8K absolute bottom. You're paying for someones skilled time-----and we know how much time a proper job can take.

I found a shop in Stoney Creek, does great work and has experience with these bodies - let me know if you want the contact.

Cheers
    Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys,
    Interesting thread here.
    Just wondering if a wrap could be a good option?
    What’s your take on that?
    Looking at CKwrap video on YouTube makes me think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    There have been discussion on wrap, some have done it. However, most are quick to point out that a lot of the expense of a good paint job is all the "prep" prior to the actual paint going on. Doing a wrap still requires all that prep so what do you save in the end? These types of discussion are tough. It all depends on what your expectations are for the final product - it's one of those areas where "you get what you pay for" applies.
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

19. Likes AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Took mine to Whitby Motorcars, Greensboro, North Carolina. I have read so many horror stories about local shops doing Roadster paint jobs and I have had a few issues with daily driver paint shop repairs myself. I have over 2,000 hours into my car (lots of upgrades & featres) and I didn't want a second rate paint job. My paint is spectacular but along with body prep, fitting (just hood, trunk, doors, roll bars install & align) was just shy of $24k Can. this year. The actual paint was pricey as it was HOK 3 stage paint, & a stripe along with many hours of hand finishing. Although expensive it is a show car finish. It is likely not for everyone but I wanted a jewel. Anywhere subject to rock chips I covered in 3M film including the rear contact areas for the soft top. So when you are wondering what to do about paint there are some hard questions you really have to answer as to what are you going to be happy with: a quick & dirty, an OEM level paint or nothing below show quality. For me this is likely my last sports car so i wanted it special. I wouldn't dis anyone's choice of a cheap paint job as I would hope others would not dis my choice of show quality paint. The difficulty is matching expectations, quality of work and price.
    Four.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Rob,
    Car looks great, from you other posts it looks like you are in NB?
    Curious your experience going back and forth across the border with the car pre and post paint. I’m considering taking mine south of the border as well, any issues? Did you claim the paint job and pay tax on the way back?
    2017 FFR MK4 9026, 3 Link, 15" FFR halibrands, cooper cobra tires, '88 302/5.0, GT40 Y303 heads, Performer RPM intake Manifold, Holley 650 DP Carb, Pertronix distributor, T5Z spec built transmission, 3.73 rear end. Ordered Nov 2016, picked up at FFR Feb 2017, first start July 2017, Legal on the road May 2018, still in Gelcoat.