BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: rebuilding 1988 302 - EFI recomdations

Post Thanks / Like

rebuilding 1988 302 - EFI recomdations

Rebuilding an '88 302 HO from the junkyard - at the machine shop now. I am wanting to upgrade to a modern EFI and thinking the Holley Sniper however I am having a hard time finding an intake to mate the EFI to the 302. I have the stock upper and lower intakes but from the pictures they don't look like they will match. I have an email in to Holley and will call them in the morning but I figure you guys are the real experts. Any input?

Post Thanks / Like
    You use a intake for a 4 barrel carb. Edelbrock Performer RPM are popular.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve been very happy with my FiTech EFI. I’m running a performer rpm intake. The install and wiring was straightforward and started the first turn of the key.

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm running a Boss block 302 with the Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and Holley Terminator (precursor to Sniper) EFI. It's sweeeeet!

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Get a single plane intake manifold. They work better with the TBI. Or, you can get several dual planes that already have a "cutout" to act like a single plane. You still may need to use a spacer. Also, get the Dual Sync distributor so the ECU can control timing.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mdutton11 View Post
    Rebuilding an '88 302 HO from the junkyard - at the machine shop now. I am wanting to upgrade to a modern EFI and thinking the Holley Sniper however I am having a hard time finding an intake to mate the EFI to the 302. I have the stock upper and lower intakes but from the pictures they don't look like they will match. I have an email in to Holley and will call them in the morning but I figure you guys are the real experts. Any input?
    Assuming this is going into a Roadster. I looked into converting to a Sniper as the Mass-Flo efi on my car was fried however, after two speaking to two separate Holley techs neither would guarantee that the SNiper would work properly with the O2 sensor placement. According to them sampling only one tube of the header (I have a 4 into 4 setup) was unacceptable and placing the sensor in the side-pipe was also unacceptable due to the distance from the unit and also the angle of the sensor.

With that in mind I used a dual plan manifold and a quikfuel 600 cfm carb and it has worked really well. No complaints

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input and glad to see an easy option (Edelbrock performer). I have read many times the Holley does not recommend the sniper due to the O2 sensor problem but everyone who has installed one says they work fine from the side pipe sensor location. I have also heard many are very happy with the FITech.

I understand everyone has their personal preferences but... Holley vs FITech - is there really much difference? I would assume both are great upgrades and if I don't want to deal with a carb either would be good. Does FITech offer a distributer that is controlled by the EFI? Where is the O2 sensor on the FITech?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input and glad to see an easy option (Edelbrock performer). I have read many times the Holley does not recommend the sniper due to the O2 sensor problem but everyone who has installed one says they work fine from the side pipe sensor location. I have also heard many are very happy with the FITech.

I understand everyone has their personal preferences but... Holley vs FITech - is there really much difference? I would assume both are great upgrades and if I don't want to deal with a carb either would be good. Does FITech offer a distributer that is controlled by the EFI? Where is the O2 sensor on the FITech?
    There really is no difference. It comes down to hardware and the software that makes it all work. Pick one and you will be happy. FiTech does not offer a distributor but there are may types it supports. All depends if you want to control timing, run a spark box, etc. Best thing to do is browse their website and get a copy of the installations instructions which will give you an idea of the wiring involved for each type of distributor.Personally, I run a two wire Petronix without timing. Very happy with the unit. As for the O2 Sensor. If you have 4 into 4 headers you can mount it right at the collector. I don't have those type headers so I mounted mine right in the passenger side pipe just behind the collector. Tricky install but doable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by weendoggy View Post
    Get a single plane intake manifold. They work better with the TBI. Or, you can get several dual planes that already have a "cutout" to act like a single plane. You still may need to use a spacer. Also, get the Dual Sync distributor so the ECU can control timing.
    Your the second person I have heard as of late, lay claim the TBI's run better on top of a single plane manifold. Hmmmm.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I talked to Holley today, they said the single plane manifold works much better with any EFI. When I research the net the say single plane = high rpm, double plane = street. I am a street driver but not sure about single vs double yet. Luckily I have a lot time for everyones's input

Post Thanks / Like
    I've done several FItech systems, including just finishing a dual quad setup. They've all worked very well. I'm doing a Sniper install now. I'll let you know what I think of it.
    But what I like is the Sniper has much more tunability with a laptop than the Fitech. The software looks very similar to the Holley HP which is very versatile. As far as single plane vs dual plane. With a TBI system the intake doesn't know if it's a carb or EFI so the same rules would apply. With port injection you definitely need to use a single plane to keep air distribution equal to all cylinders since the fuel is being injected into each individually.
    Last edited by bobl; 01-05-2019 at 01:31 AM.
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks - I look forward to hearing your opinion on differences

Post Thanks / Like
    All I see for Edelbrock manifolds in single plane is the Victor Jr, anyone have a part or model number for the performer rpm?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here is my story from the peanut gallery... I too want the EFI conversion,,, SBC in a 33' hot rod, but have ZERO experience but, I do read a lot. So,,, I decided to get some experience by putting the Fitech 400 on my 40' Ford with SBC/Edelbrock as a test. Turned out to be a bigger project than planned because of new EFI compatable tank with In Tank pump,,, both from Fitech, and return line. SBC is new from GMPP, has very few miles on it and runs very well with the Edelbrock 650 and RPM manifold. BUT, Now it starts almost as soon as you turn key, idles smooth and has very crisp throttle response. This is just a little street cruiser but Fitech EFI was a very nice up grade to this old gal. Thinking I may go Sniper on the 33' only because it seems to be a more performance unit. Jury out on that until I HAVE to make final decision. EFI is a good choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another choice would to be to simply go to a bolt on Trick Flow intake system, with a larger throttle body, and slightly higher lb injectors, MAF suitable for the new injectors.

Your current engine harness, ECM, fuel system, etc., doesn't have to be messed with, and it is fairly economical. The Track Heat model gives you the best bang for the buck, apparently.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    All I see for Edelbrock manifolds in single plane is the Victor Jr, anyone have a part or model number for the performer rpm?
    The part number for mine is Edelbrock Performer RPM 7121 https://www.edelbrock.com/performer-...fold-7121.html (Note that this is for a dual plane model). However, it appears from Edelbrock's website that this manifold is out of stock. I'd give them a call and see what they recommend as a replacement, and also for a recommendation for a single plane "equivalent".

John
    Last edited by phileas_fogg; 01-05-2019 at 06:34 PM.
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobl View Post
    I've done several FItech systems, including just finishing a dual quad setup. They've all worked very well. I'm doing a Sniper install now. I'll let you know what I think of it.
    But what I like is the Sniper has much more tunability with a laptop than the Fitech. The software looks very similar to the Holley HP which is very versatile. As far as single plane vs dual plane. With a TBI system the intake doesn't know if it's a carb or EFI so the same rules would apply. With port injection you definitely need to use a single plane to keep air distribution equal to all cylinders since the fuel is being injected into each individually.
    Bob Dyno'd my engine and I have since put some miles on the car with my FITECH. The system really is incredibly simple and reliable. There are many other things you can do with it too, such as add boost or nitros down the road based on the model you buy. I paid 900 after a rebate on my FiTech Go EFI 4 600HP (they are now 1100). The thing has been great on the street. I read the manual, learned the system in an afternoon. I added a bit of fuel for throttle tip in, and moved some things around in the settings but the FiTech did all the hard work on the fuel tables and drivability. Its really amazing. The more you drive the car the better it gets.

BOB and I made 475hp right out of the box with the fitech, i imagine with a bit more time and break in it will be a few ponies better. Its really a great system with plenty of fidelity and reliability. Dont let anyone that hasnt owned one tell you any different.

I read a silly argument on the corral.net forums and there are so many fanboys of the stock eeciv they cant let things go on their system vs something new. The FiTech is designed and owned by OEM EFI manufacturers. They truly got this one right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, I should be writing a paper for my spring semester. LOL but cant get off this forum. If you click the link in my build thread its a rebuild of a 302 from scratch, its lots of info for fun or for just reading enjoyment for a 302 guy. Good luck.