I am in the early stages of planning a build where we have acquired a donor and will spend the next two years refining it before ordering and starting the kit. You can get the rough idea here: Intro.

I was reading through a recent thread about budget (Link) and it got me thinking if building a FFR Roadster is the smartest choice. There are lots of finished Roadsters selling in the $30-35k range and most have much higher spec than what I am planning with my budget build. I wouldn't be too surprised if some cost over $50k to build and are still selling in the $30s. I have guesstimated a budget for my build between $20-30k depending on options and using this excellent cost list as a rough guideline: John's Build Cost.

I realize this is not purely a financial decision and I am not trying to make money from my project. I love to build things and this would be a great project with my son resulting in one of my dream cars, neither of which can be quantified. However, if I am going to spend at least a year of my life building, I don't want to end up regretting it on completion.

I fully expect this is a biased group, but I am very interested in your opinions, especially in hindsight.