Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Okay to run fuel pump with out ECU

Post Thanks / Like

Okay to run fuel pump with out ECU

15-17 coyote crate and harness.
    Is it okay to run the fuel pump independently from the ECU system? I am thinking of wiring a fuel pump on/off switch for added safety and security. Will this affect the ECU function?

Post Thanks / Like
    Shouldn't be a problem
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike is right, of course. Wouldn't be a problem. But another option to give both -- switched plus managed by the ECU -- is to put a simple SPST switch in one of the inertia switch wires. Break the ground and the fuel pump relay in the RF fuse panel is opened. Did this on my #8674 Roadster build and works as expected. The switch is on the center panel under the dash.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with edward. I think it's important for the ECU to control the fuel pump. If you get in a crash and the engine stops, so will the fuel pump. If it's wired separately, the pump will continue to run until you shut it off. That could be a real fire hazard.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    The ineritia switch works by impact correct? For example you get in an accident and the inertia switch will shut down power to fuel pump?
    I am using the infinity box (isis) system. I have all the options to wire the pump through; ECU, ignition switch, or seperate mechanical switch. I was planning on putting inertia in regardless.