Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  54

Thread: Blu's 818R

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Blu's 818R

After 27 years of racing tin tops I decided to go topless.... sort of.
    I picked up my build late April 2018 after selling our 2 Spec Miata's. We ran SM for 5 years and had a blast, I must say i learned how to drive again, momentum racing is so much fun. 3 Championships between us including an invite to Mazda Shootout in California, what an experience, fun!

My son went to play in the dirt with his GC8 Impreza. I bought a caged GC8 shell as well with the intensions of following him into rally, however the car was butchered from open class and too far gone for me to complete. So I sold it to a friend, lol.

I have enjoyed reading the forums the past 6 months to gather information on the best way (for me) to build this race toy. So many talented people on here with amazing depth of knowledge, thanking all of you for that !

As I am in Canada, I had to order the "Canadian Package" as it is the ONLY way to get it across the border, god love the wisdom of our government... enough said.

We drove the 11 hours each way to pick up the kit. Was great to meet so many people and take the factory tour.

My build order included :
    818 Race, powder coated white as all race cars should be. Red body.
    Because there was an amazing sale when I ordered the kit, the following arrived with it -
    CF Splitter, CF Diffuser, Cunards, Door Ducts, Rocker Panel extensions, Race Side mirror kit, aluminum shifter and [3] sets of rims.
    Items purchased not on sale, APR Wing, Wilwood pedal kit.

So far I have been gathering and cleaning parts as I do not have a donor car. Between my yard, my sons yard and a very good friend I have enough parts to pick from. Additionally I have been powder coating all of the aluminum prior to assembly, so much aluminum. Most I have done myself except for anything large I have sent it out.

Build will include the following;
    2004 USDM 2.5 turbo (turbo size still discussing) Goal is 350+ WHP on pump gas
    6-speed with LSD
    iWire harness with custom options
    Cadillac ATS 4-piston Brembo brakes all around
    12.8 rotors all around
    Moton 3-way adjustable damper suspension
    Dry sump system
    Fuel cell in passenger area
    AIM Data acquisition
    OMP HTE R seat
    (Considering the halo, still open to the concept and still evaluating as I am 6')

Expected completion for first race April 2020, more than likely sooner however it will be test and tune only :-)
    Last edited by Blu; 01-03-2019 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Added transmission info

2. Likes biknman, Mitch Wright liked this post