Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Welding axle brackets on 3-link setup necessary?

Post Thanks / Like

Welding axle brackets on 3-link setup necessary?

I was just wondering if I should weld my axle brackets on 3-link setup to the rear end? rear end is already off to get to get rebuilt and the guy doing the work can weld it if I want to. Is there any special adjustments to get pinion angle other than the adjustable arm on top? If so I probably would lean towards getting it all dialed in then welded. seems like a lot of stuff on this kit needs some kind of macgyver tweaking that the build manual doesn't show. haha

or should I just leave it bolted and forget the welding idea?

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Should you weld the bracket? Yes, the axle is out where it's easy to work on and you have a guy that can weld -- no brainer. With even a modest 400 lb ft of torque from the engine you can put >4000 lb ft of torque on that bracket if you have a TKO trans. I see no downside as long as the guy is a "real" welder, the bracket is glued on in the right location and angle, and he knows enough not to warp the axle tube (if he's truly a welder not a YouTube viewer he'll know how to keep from warping the axle tubes). Pull the trigger and get-r-done.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, do it now. Pinion angle adjustment is accomplished with the upper link so just install the banana bracket as it is fabricated.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Be sure your welder knows how to weld the steel bracket to the cast(?) center section and not just to the steel axle tube.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Or you could do what I did...purchase and install a banana bracket support brace kit from Vintage Performance Motorcars.

I thought about welding mine when I did my 3-link retrofit but the axle was still in the car and I didn't want to risk warping the housing.

The Vintage brace kit was $125 including shipping when I ordered it last January.

Post Thanks / Like
    Craig brings up a good point. The center section is cast steel (not cast iron) and if you want to weld the bracket to the center section it's best to use 99% nickel filler and TIG weld it. There is a special process I use to prevent cracking. If you don't use the correct filler and process you stand a good chance of cracking the casting -- that would be bad. And be advised that most professional welders will have no experience (or knowledge) of how to correctly weld cast steel to mild steel.

However, IMO you don't have to weld that side of the bracket. MIG welding around the three sides of the half-round base that attach to the axle tube with ER70S-3 filler will keep the bracket from rotating.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, have it welded by a welder who knows what they are doing. Then paint the weld to match.

Post Thanks / Like
    What's wrong with Youtube certified welders? Here's a nice custom manifold.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Avalanche, that's funny. I'll have to show that to my youngest -- he followed me into the trade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Thanks Avalanche, that's funny. I'll have to show that to my youngest -- he followed me into the trade.

45 ish cars, 80% three link, none welded, none have ever moved.

Just Sayin'

and don't say they are all babied...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWp6LEs__FU
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the VPM bracket-brace like Jim recommends. Super high quality piece for the money and it really locks it in.

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.