BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Kirkey seat install

Post Thanks / Like

Kirkey seat install

Hi,
    I am installing Kirkey seats using there brackets. I did a search on the forum but only came up with one person with the same concern and there were no responses.

It says to mount them on something solid. The tunnel side of the floor is just aluminum sheet metal. Is that strong enough, or should I beef it up?

Thanks
    Mk4 ordered 1/3/18, IRS, Coyote, T56 Magnum

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not strong enough. You need much more support than the alum floor plan. You have two easy choices.

Go ahead and bolt in the seat bracket where you want it. Once you find out where the seat bracket sits, you can weld in another piece of tubing beneath the floor pan.

Or, install a big 3/16" steel plate inside the car, bolted through floor into the steel tubing. Then mount the seat to the plate.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I might go with the easier one. 3/16 steel plate. I figure that I only need a piece 12” by 19”. The brackets are about 11” long and the seat is less than 18” wide.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Packer fan View Post
    I think I might go with the easier one. 3/16 steel plate. I figure that I only need a piece 12” by 19”. The brackets are about 11” long and the seat is less than 18” wide.

Thanks
    I second that and just want to check---you aren't trying to mount the seats without the body on are you?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I second that and just want to check---you aren't trying to mount the seats without the body on are you?

Jeff
    Yes,
    The seat is staying right close to the tunnel and not all the way back.

I just realized something else as I was about to bolt it down. The solid section below the seat is not very thick. This might end up being my mount for going go karting. Or I can use this and weld a square tube underneath also.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I documented my kirkey seat install pretty thoroughly in my build thread linked in my signature. Index in post #1 will direct you to the proper post.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Packer fan View Post
    Hi,
    I am installing Kirkey seats using there brackets. I did a search on the forum but only came up with one person with the same concern and there were no responses.

It says to mount them on something solid. The tunnel side of the floor is just aluminum sheet metal. Is that strong enough, or should I beef it up?

Thanks
    I did not use any bracket. Just bolted through the seat bottom:
    - two 5/16 bolts in the frame tube using rivnuts.
    - one 5/16 bolt (outer front) in the reinforced steel plate with large washer.
    - one 5/16 bolt throught the 2x2 tube.
    - the seat is raised of the floor by 3/4in square tubing as spacers.

That’s 4 solid body mounting points. Bolting through the seat bottom is a recommended solution in the seat instructions.

Have added a back brace, just in case.

R