Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Mazda 3 Trunk Hinge

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mazda 3 Trunk Hinge

Who has use the Mazda 3 trunk hinges? I really am leaning toward the idea of a custom tank (or dual low-mount tanks) and Mazda 3 trunk hinges - all in the interest of more trunk space. I have it in my head how I could use these hinges, but would like to see pics of how others have done it.
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Oops.... Admins, could you please move this to "Body & Interior"
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I did have Dave Boyd build me a pair of custom tanks that mount below the trunk deck. (Tanks are covered in blue painter's tape in the "installed" photo.) I have the IRS and had to do a little structural modification to make everything fit. I don't know if my tank design will work with other rear end configurations. PM me your email address if you would like a copy of the drawings.

I also bought the Mazda 3 trunk hinges from eBay, but don't have them installed yet so no photos. However, my plan is to build a complete frame from square tubing and bond it to the trunk lid so it will have the correct curvature and seal well.

Keith
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Keith - your plan is exactly what I was thinking... And since I now remember seeing these pictures, I'm pretty sure I got the idea from you!

I would need to cut these out of cardboard to see if they fit with the 4-link (first guess is 'no') and how much volume would be lost to make clearance for the UCAs (probably too much).

I'll send a PM shortly...

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I did cardboard mockups and fit them into the chassis (after cutting out the diagonal braces) multiple times to establish the mounting points and location of the tunnels for the exhaust pipes, etc. I also tried to avoid having the fuel inlet, fuel pump, etc. mount under any structural elements. You may have to cut out the bottom corners to make clearance for the 4 link LCA's - I'm not familiar with how or where they attach to the chassis. I doubt that would cost you much volume though...

I sent you my drawings from my dinosaur AOL account. Feel free to use, modify or disregard as appropriate.

Oh yeah, one final thought. At least on my IRS equipped car, there is still room for a full sized battery in between the 2 saddlebag tanks - and access is from the top, now that the stock fuel tank is gone. That should save some future headaches, I hope.

Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Got the email! Thanks again Keith!

I'll have to see, but I am thinking upper control arms would pose more clearance issues than the lowers. We'll see...

It seems a much better approach to packaging with the saddletanks and battery between.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TxMike64 View Post
    Thanks Keith - your plan is exactly what I was thinking... And since I now remember seeing these pictures, I'm pretty sure I got the idea from you!

I would need to cut these out of cardboard to see if they fit with the 4-link (first guess is 'no') and how much volume would be lost to make clearance for the UCAs (probably too much). I'll send a PM shortly...
    Take a look at my gallery here and you should find pictures of the hinges and the deck lid stiffener frame. I had Boyd make a tank that fits behind the 4 link
    and requires no removal of FF braces. I did build a steel frame around my tank, it also supports a rear bumper complete with hidden hitch receiver behind
    the flip down license plate. HTH
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for chiming-in myjones!
    So many great solutions from so many different people!
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/albu...chmentid=33397

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I have to give Dale (myjones) credit for the inspiration for many of my modifications, including the running board supports, the under trunk gas tanks and the Mazda trunk hinges. The man has a broad knowledge of things automotive and is really good at seeing new applications for old parts.
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post
    Yes, I have to give Dale (myjones) credit for the inspiration for many of my modifications, including the running board supports, the under trunk gas tanks and the Mazda trunk hinges. The man has a broad knowledge of things automotive and is really good at seeing new applications for old parts.
    Keith
    Keith
    Thanks for the kudos, glad to help.
    At my age finding "new applications for old parts" is crucial ;>}
    In late Oct I had a double bypass for a 100% blockage of the widowmaker, , catching it just before what would likely have been a fatal heart attack.

The grafts were from my own Mammary arteries, yep men have them too and they can be moved and used for the bypass and avoid the leg issues
    that come from the old way of taking leg arteries for the donor plumbing. Manage your cholesterol it nearly killed me at 59 YO

Dale

11. Thanks AJT '33 thanked for this post
    Likes AJT '33, TxMike64 liked this post