Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: More leg room in MKIV Dash

Post Thanks / Like

More leg room in MKIV Dash

Has anyone modified under the steering wheel to provide more leg room like this picture?

Post Thanks / Like
    Having sat in mine many, many times while building it I see no need for that space. I have sat there and specifically thought about that space moving my legs about to make sure I had plenty of room. In addition, getting in and out of the car will be limited by the steering wheel not the dash.

George

Post Thanks / Like
    Big solid 2x2 inch frame member that goes across the bottom of the dash above the footwells in a Factory Five. While anything is possible I guess, not sure that's something you want to mess with. I agree that's not where the limits are anyway, and the removable steering wheel is an idea lots of builders have used to make it easier to get in and out. The main area that gives more space is by using different seats and moving the seating position as far back as possible.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GWL View Post
    Having sat in mine many, many times while building it I see no need for that space. I have sat there and specifically thought about that space moving my legs about to make sure I had plenty of room. In addition, getting in and out of the car will be limited by the steering wheel not the dash.

George
    You and I are very different people and probably different size. I am 6'4", w/ 34" inseam and 300lbs. I found having built a MKII 15 years ago that I simply didn't fit well to drive it. I Built a GTM 10 years ago and fit great. I sat in the MKIV in the FFR showroom and it was close. I felt if I had 1-2 inches of more leg room when moving my leg from gas to break I would feel a little better. Now pedal placement also wasn't my setup either, having size 15 shoes, I would need to move the brake and gas, but it is doable.

ALso, the issue is not getting in and out. With my GTM I Had to use a removable steering wheel to get in and out. Here, because of the convertible no issues there...it is more a gas/brake thing with my knee.

Edward, not sure why you think you would need to modify the 2x2 brace across the bottom of the dash...isn;t that in the back?
    Last edited by hayabusa02; 01-04-2019 at 11:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, we are different sizes.

That 2 x 2 is forward of the bottom of the dash.

A quick search at this link didn't find what you are looking for but there are many pages to search here:

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...your-dash.html

George

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hayabusa02 View Post
    Edward, not sure why you think you would need to modify the 2x2 brace across the bottom of the dash...isn't that in the back?
    Right, the 2x2 frame member (it's more than a brace) isn't right at the bottom edge of the dash. It's 5 inches or so behind and runs the full width of the cockpit. The top of the frame member is even with the bottom of the dash. So it's lower once you get back there. Based on the picture in your first post, it looks to me like that severe of a cut-out would reach that frame member very quickly. That's why I answered the way I did. But to specifically answer your question, no I haven't seen anyone do a mod like that.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder how much more roomi t would give me if i put a bend in it right after that brace and tried to gain 1-2 inches at the front. IT might be something I try when I get my kit.

Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Right, the 2x2 frame member (it's more than a brace) isn't right at the bottom edge of the dash. It's 5 inches or so behind and runs the full width of the cockpit. The top of the frame member is even with the bottom of the dash. So it's lower once you get back there. Based on the picture in your first post, it looks to me like that severe of a cut-out would reach that frame member very quickly. That's why I answered the way I did. But to specifically answer your question, no I haven't seen anyone do a mod like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m 6’2” and found the bottom of the steering wheel to be more of an issue, I never hit the actual dash. One of the best and simplest mods I made was a 1/4” (I think, maybe 1/2”?) spacer under the steering column pillow bearing. Raised the wheel up and out of the way of my thigh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hayabusa02 View Post
    I wonder how much more roomi t would give me if i put a bend in it right after that brace and tried to gain 1-2 inches at the front. IT might be something I try when I get my kit.
    Here's what the Mk4 looks like. 2x2 frame member at the upper third, edge of the dash at the top, footbox below. Attaches to the vertical frame member on the left. Carries through to the passenger side with a similar frame attachment on the right side. Steering column attachment roughly in the center of the pic. Firewall attaches on the opposite side facing the engine compartment. Cut and fab? Sure, I guess. Don't think bending is possible or the answer.