BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Do these seats fit?

Post Thanks / Like

Do these seats fit?

I'm hoping to get input on whether these seats are going to fit. I really liked the seats in Edwardb's coupe build (Corbeau Sportline Evolution X) but haven't seen anyone try to install them in the roadster. So I followed Paul's lead and bought a single seat from Summit for test fitting. I need to return it because I will eventually need the ones with seat heaters and once you get those, they become "custom" and not returnable. I know that you need to fit seats with the body on and below are the pictures from my test fitting. The seat physically fits, but it is tight. When the driver's seat is facing directly forward, it hits the transmission tunnel by the right thigh and the rear of the cockpit by the left shoulder. It also barely misses the body by about 1/2 inch. If I were to point the driver seat out (to the left) then there is more room but doesn't look aligned. Another issue is that the passenger seat hits the E-brake. I'm going to have to move that to the transmission tunnel, but no big deal. I think they will work, but don't know if I am missing something. Thanks for your thoughts!
    -David

Driver Side

Passenger Side

MK4 Roadster #9138
    Blueprint 427 with Sniper EFI, TKO600, IRS, complete kit
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Seat Angle

I can not state whether those seats will fit or not. As a general rule the seats are installed slightly angled outwards towards the front outside corners if that makes sense. Somewhat parallel to the transmission tunnel sides. This may give you the room you need.

Here are mine. It should give you an idea as to how much they are angled out.

Attached Images Attached Images
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that picture. If I angle them out as you describe then there is a bit more room and they should fit. Just feels strange sitting in them at a slight angle. But the footbox is kind of angled in that direction anyway... I guess you just get used to it.
    MK4 Roadster #9138

Post Thanks / Like
    You won't notice once you drive in them a bit. My Street Performers have finally given up the ghost, so I'm looking for good high-back street seat options, and the custom recovering prices around here are a bit much, $500 per, at least.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just take into account carpet thickness or whatever you are going to have on the side of the transmission tunnel. I noticed installing my high back kirkeys the carpet being there or not made a difference in the mounting. You show that one picture where the seat is pressing up to the tunnel. It will be a slightly different fit with carpet.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    As CDXXVII says, seats are generally angled out. That works out be cause the steering wheel is off to the left some also. Do you have the pedals installed yet? I ask because legroom is usually the most important part of fitting in the car. The thicker the seat back is, the less legroom you end up w/. Since the edge of the body behind the seat (as well as the aluminum wheel well panel) limits how far back it can go you some times can get a little more legroom if you keep the seat more vertical.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe, I replaced my SP seats with seats from Cobra seats. It’s called the Clubman model. Look the same but are MUCH nicer!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe, I replaced my SP seats with seats from Cobra seats. It’s called the Clubman model. Look the same but are MUCH nicer!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on your photos, I'd say yes they'll fit. Depending on how much you angle the passenger seat, you may not have to move the e-brake.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Define "fit". Yes, it looks like they'll go into the space but honestly to me they appear too large and it seems kind of like you're having to force them to work. The bottom cushions look pretty thick which would sit you up high in the car (a real consideration if you're tall). In addition the backs look thick which will limit how far rearward you can go affecting legroom. There's alot more room in Paul's Coupe cockpit than there is in the roadster. Just my opinion of course.

Good luck with your build!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you everyone for your input! Yes, the pedals are in and there seems to be enough room with the seats back as far as I can get them. When depressing the clutch all the way, my knee is bent just a little. I'm building this with my dad, and we are both pretty average height (5' 10"). They may not work for those who are taller, but I think we are going to give it a shot. I'll angle them slightly outward which should give us a bit more room.
    -David
    MK4 Roadster #9138

Post Thanks / Like
    Overly tall appearance for the roadster body in my view.
    358 SBC, Winters QC, Sweet mfg, Coleman, AP Racing, ARS, TKO 600, Fuel Safe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by steno View Post
    I replaced my leather roadster seats (low-back) with Clubman seats from Cobra (high-back) mainly due to my concern with whiplash. They fit fine! Note that they are much tighter and are harder to get in and out of the roadster especially at first. After a few times, you learn how to do it better!! I also have heated and cooled seat covers that should help a lot, although I haven't used them that much since I bought them due to the weather - too much snow recently!!

The seats also have COBRA on the head rest, which is nice!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I used leather seats from a 2005 Corvette. I removed the seat track and just bolted them in as far back from the steering wheel as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    DO THEY FIT ? I would like to preface this with "I have not been drinking" …..Will they "fit" (bolt in )in the car physically ? YES ! Do they "fit" your body for comfort ? I leave that to you...….drumroll, (on eggshells) do they "fit" aesthetically...…..notheydonot! there, I said it. Sorry (and it's just my opinion, not that it matters, and, well, you did ask!) Looks like two seats with a car bolted to the bottom of them. THERE! NOW! let's swing this back the other way. Do they feel much better to you then stock low backs? Do you feel safer sitting in these seats? Do "YOU" like the looks of them in your car......or anyone elses?.....cause, well, I'm just a fume huffing painter,,,,,and it's not my car,,,,,,,but you asked,,,,,SO THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT ! think I'm done...da bat

16. Likes cgundermann, Paul2STL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    da bat…. I think you summed it up perfectly and I completely agree… for the most part. When I was asking if they fit, I was mostly looking for input on whether they fit physically. Because we are newbies and haven’t done this before, I didn’t know if there were issues we would encounter in the future with these seats. As the saying goes, You don’t know what you don’t know. In terms of aesthetics, I also agree that the low back seats look much better. But we’ve made the decision to go with high back seats and dual roll bars despite that. I suppose we are more risk averse than most. I didn’t realize that this thread would turn into a high back vs low back type of discussion. The Kirkey high back seats that we originally bought have fairly similar dimensions (see below), but we just didn’t care for the look as much as these which is why we were thinking of making the switch. But even if we don’t get these, we are going with less aesthetically pleasing high back ones…

Corbeau seats on the left and Kirkey on the right
    MK4 Roadster #9138

Post Thanks / Like
    One more.....ok, two more things. If you like to "track", Autocross or even just a lot of high spirted driving you really need the high-backs. The other thing is.....you will most likely need to have them out of the car to get the body on and off unless they are on tracks....cheers, da Bat