BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Advice/recommendations on theoretical gen 3 coupe build

Post Thanks / Like

Advice/recommendations on theoretical gen 3 coupe build

Hey guys,

I am currently located in Sacramento,CA. I am doing as much research as I can before I order my gen 3 coupe as i have been following many of your coupe builds for a while now. I hope to order my coupe in the next couple of months as I would like some advice from builders on what I have chosen to do with my coupe. Here is a list of what will be put into the car. Please comment or make suggestions as this will be my first time taking on a project of this magnitude. I cant wait to start on this journey.

Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe - Complete Kit
    Added options:
    - White powder coated chassis
    - Body cutouts
    - Front and rear sway bars
    - 12.88 Black Willwood upgrade
    - IRS
    - Upgraded Koni shocks
    - Power Steering
    - 302 Ceramic Headers
    - A/C/Heater
    - 2006 Ford GT Gauges
    - Pre Cut Carpet
    - Front Areo Bumper
    - Race Spoiler (Maybe)
    - Seats (TBD)
    - Wheels (TBD)
    - BF Goodrich G-Force Rival S: P275/35ZR-18 for the front, P315/30ZR-18 for the rear. White lettering
    - Holley fuel pump and filter assembly

Powertrain:
    - Ford Performance 363 C.I.D. BOSS long block (~507hp, 302 block) M-6007-Z2363RT
    - Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap Intake 7521(dual plane)
    - Holley Sniper EFI w/ hyper spark coil, ignition box, steel distributor.
    - RAM Billet Steel fly wheel 1529-15
    - Hydraulic conversion kit: McLeod Hydraulic Throwout Bearing Conversion Kits 14-325
    - Twin Clutch kit: McLeod RST Street Twin Clutch Kits 6913-07C
    - Quick time bell housing
    - Transmission: American Powertrain Tremec TKO 600 Manual Transmissions TCET-5008
    - Engine will be fully dressed

If any one has cars in the area I would love to come out and learn as much as i can before I buy into this coupe. But Lets be honest i'm going to buy one either way!

-Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RHelweg View Post
    Hey guys,

I am currently located in Sacramento,CA. I am doing as much research as I can before I order my gen 3 coupe as i have been following many of your coupe builds for a while now. I hope to order my coupe in the next couple of months as I would like some advice from builders on what I have chosen to do with my coupe. Here is a list of what will be put into the car. Please comment or make suggestions as this will be my first time taking on a project of this magnitude. I cant wait to start on this journey.

Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe - Complete Kit
    Added options:
    - White powder coated chassis
    - Body cutouts
    - Front and rear sway bars
    - 12.88 Black Willwood upgrade
    - IRS
    - Upgraded Koni shocks
    - Power Steering
    - 302 Ceramic Headers
    - A/C/Heater
    - 2006 Ford GT Gauges
    - Pre Cut Carpet
    - Front Areo Bumper
    - Race Spoiler (Maybe)
    - Seats (TBD)
    - Wheels (TBD)
    - BF Goodrich G-Force Rival S: P275/35ZR-18 for the front, P315/30ZR-18 for the rear. White lettering
    - Holley fuel pump and filter assembly

Powertrain:
    - Ford Performance 363 C.I.D. BOSS long block (~507hp, 302 block) M-6007-Z2363RT
    - Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap Intake 7521(dual plane)
    - Holley Sniper EFI w/ hyper spark coil, ignition box, steel distributor.
    - RAM Billet Steel fly wheel 1529-15
    - Hydraulic conversion kit: McLeod Hydraulic Throwout Bearing Conversion Kits 14-325
    - Twin Clutch kit: McLeod RST Street Twin Clutch Kits 6913-07C
    - Quick time bell housing
    - Transmission: American Powertrain Tremec TKO 600 Manual Transmissions TCET-5008
    - Engine will be fully dressed

If any one has cars in the area I would love to come out and learn as much as i can before I buy into this coupe. But Lets be honest i'm going to buy one either way!

-Rob
    Are you planning on Having the chassis powder coated locally? Factory Five only offer whit in the R chassis.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you want to see a Coupe built from Soup to Nuts, then start watching John George's build.
    You just may want to fast forward through them if you don't have weeks to spare.
    Here is the 1st video of his build:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRSdbxzEF88
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-04-2019 at 09:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFinisher View Post
    Are you planning on Having the chassis powder coated locally? Factory Five only offer whit in the R chassis.
    Ron beat me to it.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes i plan on having a local company powder coat several parts including the chassis.

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate the video. I will defiantly go through it. Does anyone know of a builder that has thrown a push rod motor in a gen 3 coupe? Most of the builders that i found to be active on the forums and documenting their progress are all working with the coyote motor.

Post Thanks / Like
    A local friend is putting a 351W / T56 into a G3 Coupe. It fits but is real tight in areas. Driveshaft will be short, IRS simplifies things. The 8.2 deck / 302 based engine is shorter (height) and should have even more room at the heads.

We did install an engine / trans assembly to test fit with factory mounts. All worked but there were tight spots around the trans. After that he removed factory engine mounts and moved the engine forward a inch or so, then modified the trans mount to his design. This gave more clearance around the trans and a longer driveshaft.

But, all is not perfect.

I'd be pleased to help, if I can. PM if you wish.

Jim
    Ada (Grand Rapids), MI

Post Thanks / Like
    engine1.jpegengine2.jpegengine3.jpegI have a Dart 363/TKO 600 in my Gen 3 and there is lots of room for the engine and trans. The 363 is much smaller than the Coyote so access is fine. I have a Performer RPM intake and Fitech injection, all works well. I wanted the old school look and choose the 302 based engine over the 351 based engine due to limited hood clearance in the coupe. With the small oval air cleaner I am running there is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch clearance. I added a few pictures of the engine. The car is now at the paint shop.
    Note with the front aero nose the hood can't be opened without jacking the car up.
    David W
    Last edited by David Williamson; 01-05-2019 at 09:43 AM.
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Shoot I didn't even think about be able to open and close the hood. I feel like that is a major deal breaker since this car will be a head turner. Thanks for the heads up!

David, I noticed that you are running EFI which requires an O2 sensor at the collector correct? I have been watching videos on the Holley sniper EFI installation which is saying that I need to run a O2 sensor at my collector, but based on that what FFR gives (4 port which as far as i know doesn't have a collector) for headers it doesn't look like that is possible. Could you clarify? I know the coyote comes with a nice set of headers with the O2 port already applied to the collector.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not use a twin disc clutch. You won't be making enough power or beating on it hard enough to need one. You'll cut your costs in half there. Same with the bellhousing. Use the stock Ford part. Less hassle, better fit, and a lot less money.

You can install the O2 sensor in one pipe only. It may not be as exact as sampling 4 ports, but it does work just fine. Plenty of cars are built that way. You could also install it ahead of one of the mufflers and sample two ports. I have also seen people change the pipes to use one muffler on each side, instead of 2. Personally, I think it looks better. But then you could easily sample 4 ports.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I changed to Boig quiet pipes and had Bob put a bung for the O2 sensor in the header collector. It is better if you can sample more than 1 cylinder but not 100% required. My mkll with a 93 Ford injection system has run for years with an O2 sensor monitoring 1 cylinder per side and it works just fine. On my Coupe build one of the biggest issues I had was the exhaust system and in the end it was far too loud. I have attached a picture of the header and O2 bung.
    David W
    side pipe1.jpeg
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004

Post Thanks / Like
    David,

How quiet are the quiet pipes compared to normal side pipes? Although I am young now and want a loud vehicle, i'm sure as i get older i may not want them as loud... (or ill be def and it wont matter ) Ideally my main goal is to drive this down the Pacific Coast Highway at some point in my life. I think it may come down to the frequency of the exhaust when i'm at cruising speed.

Thank You everyone for the posts, I feel quite confident in my build and cant wait to get started.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have any experience with the quiet pipes, so can't comment about those. The stock Gen 3 Coupe pipes have been described to me as "NASCAR loud" and that's probably an apt description. Even Factory Five admits they are very loud and IMO very raw sounding. This clip from SEMA maybe gives an idea. This is with a Coyote which has a relatively quiet exhaust note compared to a more traditional pushrod style engine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWp6LEs__FU. I'm not using the stock pipes on my Gen 3 Coupe build either. Build thread link in my sig line below.
    Last edited by edwardb; 01-08-2019 at 12:10 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Coupe with the stock pipes was too loud. As Paul noted it sounded like a NASCAR, my friend could hear me coming in has back yard garage from 2 or 3 roads over from his place. After a 30 minute drive with custom ear plugs in, my ears were ringing so there was no way I was keeping it with the stock pipes. My Mkll at idle is about 75 db and the coupe with the stock FFR pipes was about 85 db again at idle. I only moved the car on/off a trailer and into the paint shop after I put the quiet pipes on. They are not as loud as my Mkll with a mildly built up 93 GT engine but nobody will think it is a Mustang either. I think the sound is great and I can't wait to get it back from paint in the Spring to drive it.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004

Post Thanks / Like
    I am on the same track right now. FFRs opinion is sample one cylinder. Though not the best engineering measure it will work just fine. I am likely to reproduce this guys collector system. It would require stripping the ceramic coating off and then having the whole thing recoated... He wants $500 for both sides plus I have to pay the stripper and coater. Also I am worried about the noise, my local exhaust shop who is highly rated said glass packs might quiet it down.... Thoughts?

Image sourced from this thread: https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...-solution.html
    Last edited by P100DHG; 01-08-2019 at 09:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    David W was able to recreate headers for his small block that has a sample port at the collector in the picture above. Looks very clean. As for the glass packs, I currently run Glass packs on my truck. They are very compact (3" inlet/outlet diameter pipe, 4" muffler body height, 8" length) and can be tucked away nicely. Depending on your length of the glass pack will determine how loud you want your exhaust(shorter=louder). They still have a nice rumble to them on start up and when given gas they can produce a ear full of sound. My exhaust guy said these were used back in the day for muscle cars. Being here in California with all the Prius's and other save the world vehicles makes me want to have straight headers out of my coupe. I may have my exhaust guy make custom headers as he is a close racing buddy of mine. Ken at ADCO Driveline and Custom Exhaust.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have put a 1965 289 motor into my G3. Tons of room. Well kinda lolol.

Automan

Post Thanks / Like
    My headers came as part of the "quiet" pipe system for Gen 3 coupes. I had Bob add the O2 bung for me on the passenger side, he can set them up either side. If I was to do another Coupe I would get it without the FFR exhaust system unless they do a redesign to get it quieter.
    I also have the Boig "Cool tubes" replacing the flex rubber lower and flex SS upper rad hoses.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004