Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Power steering violently shaking

Post Thanks / Like

Power steering violently shaking

I知 in the gocart phase still. My power steering uses a larger tank and I fitted the lines with braided stainless steel and AN fittings. Tank is above PS pump. Ive driven the car 2 blocks a few months ago. All was fine. Today when I started it up the steering violently turns one way or another if I touch the wheel slightly. I知 assuming air is trapped? Another idea is I used the same size line for feed and return instead of making the return 1 side bigger.

Any ideas? I知 stumped. I tried back and forth while car is off and fighting it while on to try to dislodge an air bubble. Hmmm...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carrera1984 View Post
    I’m in the gocart phase still. My power steering uses a larger tank and I fitted the lines with braided stainless steel and AN fittings. Tank is above PS pump. Ive driven the car 2 blocks a few months ago. All was fine. Today when I started it up the steering violently turns one way or another if I touch the wheel slightly. I’m assuming air is trapped? Another idea is I used the same size line for feed and return instead of making the return 1 side bigger.

Any ideas? I’m stumped. I tried back and forth while car is off and fighting it while on to try to dislodge an air bubble. Hmmm...
    Is there any chance you disconnected the lines and accidently swapped them? Also, having a kink in the return line might cause problems.
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 01-07-2019 at 04:38 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Is there any chance you disconnected the lines and accidently swapped them? Also, having a kink in the return line might cause problems.

Thanks Bob. No kinks. Verified last night. I guess it’s possible I goofed up the ports. To double check, which is the feed port(from pump) on the rack when sitting at the radiator?the one closer to the radiator or the firewall?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carrera1984 View Post
    I知 in the gocart phase still. My power steering uses a larger tank and I fitted the lines with braided stainless steel and AN fittings. Tank is above PS pump. Ive driven the car 2 blocks a few months ago. All was fine. Today when I started it up the steering violently turns one way or another if I touch the wheel slightly. I知 assuming air is trapped? Another idea is I used the same size line for feed and return instead of making the return 1 side bigger.

Any ideas? I知 stumped. I tried back and forth while car is off and fighting it while on to try to dislodge an air bubble. Hmmm...
    This is usually a sign that the lines are swapped. Here's a link that may help. Scott

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...e-ps-rack.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgoode View Post
    This is usually a sign that the lines are swapped. Here's a link that may help. Scott

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...e-ps-rack.html
    I think that’s a link to a cobra PS thread. i did notice that it said the smaller port is the feed. I can’t tell on the wrx rack which is smaller. They look the same. I looked today and have the feed line to the port closest to the firewall. Is this correct? The closest to the radiator being the return.

Post Thanks / Like
    Carrera, have you found out anything yet? I used the WRX rack and had new lines made by a hydraulics shop and both lines are the same diameter. One of the donor lines had a metal gizmo on it which I learned is a restrictor, so it was transferred to the new line. Sorry, but I don't remember which line had the restrictor. Let us know what you find.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on the 2 pictures below. The high pressure into the rack would typically be on the smaller line. This smaller line looks to be closer to your radiator.

O.jpg K.jpg

Send us a picture on how you have it plumbed.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 01-14-2019 at 01:35 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the late update. I did swap the lines and everything was back to normal. I have no idea how this happened as I had driven it down the block prior. Maybe air in the lines saved my car while test driving the first time. Anyone doing PS, I would fill your tank, turn car on, rotate your wheel back and forth lock to lock. check fluid level, rinse and repeat. I'm baffled. The amount of force that was exerted on the wheel while lines were swapped was frightening when i first posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Carrera, have you found out anything yet? I used the WRX rack and had new lines made by a hydraulics shop and both lines are the same diameter. One of the donor lines had a metal gizmo on it which I learned is a restrictor, so it was transferred to the new line. Sorry, but I don't remember which line had the restrictor. Let us know what you find.
    I'm not really sure what restrictor your refering to, but I had bought lines from online. Mine were SS Braided lines and AN connectors that connected to the stock parts via o ring. I found the correct lengths needed and pieced everything together. I would have to dig to find what I originally bought and pieced together. It was a while ago. Pretty neat install minus the tank. Couldn't find anything reasonably priced to mount it so i ended up using pipe brackets from Menards.

I went to my hydraulic shop and they could have made lines for me but i was worried about the pressures and the adapter of standard hydraulic flare to PS connector. They didn't have the correct PS connector. I knew i could just order everything in AN style online(most aux tanks seem to be AN connecotrs). AN to PS i found to be pretty common. The braided SS seems much smaller diameter as well. While i think the return line being larger is to be more ideal. I don't see any problem currently with them being the same size. I'm assuming its to slow down the flow and get less agitation within the fluid.