Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Clicking sound when I depress the clutch pedal on my MK2 roadster

Post Thanks / Like

Clicking sound when I depress the clutch pedal on my MK2 roadster

It seems like almost every time I press on my clutch pedal, I hear a loud clicking sound coming from my pedal box. Any ideas? [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Hydraulic or cable set up?
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Clutch interlock switch?

It's a contact switch located on the clutch pedal that activates when you depress the pedal. (Typically comes with cable-actuated clutches.)
    Mk 1.5, 347 with Sniper EFI, T-5, 3-Link with VPM Rear Sway Bar, Power Steering with Hydraboost Brakes, Under Car Exhaust, SAI Mod, Rear Fender Flares, Dropped Trunk Mod, ... (Sold September 2019)

Forte's Parts Connection
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Minimotoman,
    Assuming that your MKII has a stock pedal box and its a cable driven clutch? Check the cable by the top of the firewall and bell housing for any fraying.
    This is a common problem for the Mustang cable & more so aftermarket cables.
    Mike Forte: Forte's Parts Connection / Framingham, Mass. 01702 / 508 875 0016 / [email protected] / fortesparts.com / Facebook Instagram: @fortespartconnection Est: 1981 dealing performance parts to build your dream car. A REAL SPEED SHOP with parts, price & knowledge. Developer of the early Ford & FE Tremec and Mustang firewall adjustable quadrant kits, external slave clutch release conversions & cable release conversions. Tremec Elite, FORD RACING & QUICKTIME DISTRIBUTOR!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a cable clutch and the new Wilwood pedal box the quadrant may be assembled wrong. The clutch cable end will nick the pedal box causing a click. Or as others have said it may be the neutral safety switch as they click but are not usually to loud. If it’s a stock pedal box worn pedal pivot shafts cause that noise.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike forte View Post
    Hey Minimotoman,
    Assuming that your MKII has a stock pedal box and its a cable driven clutch? Check the cable by the top of the firewall and bell housing for any fraying.
    This is a common problem for the Mustang cable & more so aftermarket cables.
    The cable most often frays just inside the pedal box where it is nearly impossible to see. See 'A'. They sometimes also have a problem where the large diameter piece that fits into the firewall cup starts to work it's way up the outer sheath. See 'B' In this case the clutch pedal usually gets lower and lower towards the floor. Flickr is inop so I will get a pic here later. BTW, if it's your cable, get a real Ford cable from Mike.
    clutch cable 2 by craig stuard, on Flickr
    Last edited by CraigS; 01-11-2019 at 08:06 AM.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've looked at all the options and I'm going to say it's your left ankle......When's the last time ya had a check-up,,,,,you should take better care of yourself,,,,,you're not as young as you used to be...… When you were born the doctor slapped your mother......If I had a dog that looked like you I would shave his...………..WHOA! sorry brother. I had radar lock and couldn't hit the "ABORT" button. Too much "G" force.....or paint fumes...da Bat...…..am I a funny guy or what ?......hello, anyone, anyone.....I'm getting my money back !