Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: oil gauge shows no pressure , but there is pressure

Post Thanks / Like

oil gauge shows no pressure , but there is pressure

So not sure what to look for , my Autometer oil pressure gauge shows no pressure , but I know there is pressure I one a port and loads of oil squirted out

there is power at the gauge , on power ate the sending unit that I can see any thought would be very helpful
    Thanks in advance , Herb

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Herb,

Did you use Thread Sealer or Teflon Tape when you installed the sending unit?
    If you used Teflon Tape the sender may not be grounding.
    Hope this helps and sorry if it doesn't.

Steve

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Herb check all the wiring to and from the gauge as well as the grounds. You should be able to short out the wires to the sender and make the gauge go full pressure. Do it momentary with someone watching the gauge. If the gauge moves the sender is bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    A common misconception. The instructions specifically tell you to use a thread sealant.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Could be a bad sender unit. Mine out of the box was bad. got a replacement and all is now good.
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Resistance check it with a multimeter. Depending on the unit you either go pin to pin or pin to the body of the sending unit. If it’s the issue you will know right away as the resistance will be quite a ways out. For the resistance value refer to an engraving on the sending unit or the gauge instructions for the gauge. If the sender tests ok then resistance check the signal lines/s. If they are good verify power and ground. If that’s good then it’s the gauge. Odds are it’s a broken wire or sensor.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Problem solved ! I replaced the wire form the gauge to the sending unit and all is well, must be a brake in the old line somewhere , its a Ron Francis fuse box and wiring harness .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine did the same at first - wouldn't register pressure. Friend CraigS laid a wrench across the two terminals of the sending unit (Speedhut), and we saw the gauge sweep as expected. Started the car, pulled a valve cover, and confirmed oil was circulating. By the time we replaced the valve cover, the sending unit had "healed" itself and it's been working properly since.

I called Speedhut and described what had happened, and they sent me a spare sending unit in case the original went bad. Very nice customer service.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313