Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Speedhut gauge accuracy

Post Thanks / Like

Speedhut gauge accuracy

I’m not sure if any one else has had this problem by my speedhut oil pressure gauge will read a constant say 30 psi at idle or 47 psi driving. Then every now and then maybe 1 minute intervals it will drop 5 psi for 10-15 seconds then it returns to its previous reading. Wiring is the Ron Francis harness and voltage is stable and clean. A mechanical gauge shows solid numbers so I know it’s the gauge. Kinda not had awesome luck with that gauge as I’m on my second sending unit which seems to be common with them. And to top it off the head light switch from time to time has some internal connection issue where with the gauge lights turn off with all the running lights working then with a wiggle of the wires they magically they light back up. Car only has 212 miles and I’m woundering about the durability of some of the FFR electrical parts. Don’t get me wrong I like the Ron Francis stuff it’s the other bits.
    Last edited by GFX2043mtu; 01-08-2019 at 07:54 PM.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GFX2043mtu View Post
    I’m not sure if any one else has had this problem by my speedhut oil pressure gauge will read a constant say 30 psi at idle or 47 psi driving. Then every now and then maybe 1 minute intervals it will drop 5 psi for 10-15 seconds then it returns to its previous reading. Wiring is the Ron Francis harness and voltage is stable and clean. A mechanical gauge shows solid numbers so I know it’s the gauge. Kinda not had awesome luck with that gauge as I’m on my second sending unit which seems to be common with them. And to top it off the head light switch from time to time has some internal connection issue where with the gauge lights turn off with all the running lights working then with a wiggle of the wires they magically they light back up. Car only has 212 miles and I’m woundering about the durability of some of the FFR electrical parts. Don’t get me wrong I like the Ron Francis stuff it’s the other bits.
    Did you use the oil pressure wire in the harness or use the yellow pigtail wire that came with the gauges? I talked to FFR and they said and Speedhut confirmed that you should not use the wire in the harness and run the yellow wires out to the sending unit from the gauge plug in. I think the gauge doesn't like the ground through the harness and wants two separate wires directly from the sender to the gauge.
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ll have to try using the the supplied wires as I used the wires in the harness.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I've read, there are a lot of issues with the Speed Hut Oil Pressure gauge. Mine will fluctuate a lot while driving. As long as it's reading pressure, I don't worry. It'll be at 30 when I'm at idle, 50-60 when driving, but 100 when I'm on it. I haven't really noticed a problem. My GPS Speedometer did not read for a whole day. After I contacted Speed Hut about the problem it magically started working again with no issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had 3 or 4 Speedhut OP senders fail when installed directly to the block but none when I have remote mounted them with a section of braided hose between the block and sender. It seems they can take vibration.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same issue, occurred after about the 3rd start on the engine. Pretty sure I used the Speedhut wiring, but will confirm. Mine drops from 60 to 30 fast and about the time you start to panic, it goes back to 60 or higher.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW, I had to run a ground wire to mine... It would not work with only the ground through the threads into the block. Also, when the key is on and engine is not running, mine never goes below 5PSI, but seems to show PSI when running... about 65PSI on my 347ci BluePrint engine.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby