Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Removing dash in fully completed car

Post Thanks / Like

Removing dash in fully completed car

Does anyone have any experience in removing the dash on a completed car? I will have the pleasure of having to remove my dash to take care of some issues. Having never done that I would like to see if anyone has done this before and what is involved, and any tips on what to do and what not to do. Not looking forward to having to do this

Post Thanks / Like
    It not that big of a deal.
    Just be prepared to pull your seats as well to give you room and to get to all the fasteners.
    Cheers,
    Dave

GTM # 294 Build Start Date 10/12/2009,
    2000 C5 Donor, LS-1 Twin Turbo, AC/Heat, G50-20.02 6 speed, Brandwood Cable shifter
    Build site. http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/dfraser/

Post Thanks / Like
    My biggest warning would be to be very careful of the windshield. The outer ends of the dash pods are normally wedged right up against the windshield near the A-pillars.....and I can imagine if you got too aggressive with prying around on the dash, it could easily crack your windshield. My suggestion would be to start by removing the gauge cluster and then removing the fasteners that hold the driver's side dash pod to the main dash and remove that dash pod. Once that's done, you may be able to lift up the back of the dash until it just clears the tunnel and slide the whole dash to the left (to get it away from the RH A-pillar and windshield) and then pull it straight back away from the windshield. Of course you'll have to deal with all of the dash vent and defrost ducting, stereo wiring, etc in the process...
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    My biggest warning would be to be very careful of the windshield. The outer ends of the dash pods are normally wedged right up against the windshield near the A-pillars.....and I can imagine if you got too aggressive with prying around on the dash, it could easily crack your windshield. My suggestion would be to start by removing the gauge cluster and then removing the fasteners that hold the driver's side dash pod to the main dash and remove that dash pod. Once that's done, you may be able to lift up the back of the dash until it just clears the tunnel and slide the whole dash to the left (to get it away from the RH A-pillar and windshield) and then pull it straight back away from the windshield. Of course you'll have to deal with all of the dash vent and defrost ducting, stereo wiring, etc in the process...
    Thanks for the info. this does not sound as bad as I thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know how new you are to the GTM, Shane is right, you don't want to crack your windshield! It's not like you can just call Safelite...
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    I don't know how new you are to the GTM, Shane is right, you don't want to crack your windshield! It's not like you can just call Safelite...
    What Safelite does not have them in stock?!?!? LOL

Will definitely be extra careful with the windshield.