Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Remote positive post

Post Thanks / Like

Remote positive post

I installed a remote positive post on the firewall just in case the battery dies, thought it might be a good idea instead of climbing under the truck bed
    thumbnail.jpgthumbnailr.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Just one question . . . why not put a [second] remote ground post there too??

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blocker View Post
    Just one question . . . why not put a [second] remote ground post there too??

Doc
    Because any of the metal surface is a negative ground so it’s not needed

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, where do you plan on putting the negative clamp? What about arcing and the teeth scratching the surface?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by UnhipPopano View Post
    Ok, where do you plan on putting the negative clamp? What about arcing and the teeth scratching the surface?
    Thanks for your concern but there are many places to clamp the negative clamp like the engine mount , the ground strap, any of the many bolts, etc. that wont matter if the teeth bite in
    I have always been taught that you connect the dead battery so arching on the negative connect is not a concern

For the so few times that this may happen
    I see no issue, although I might be wrong
    There are many new cars that have remote battery locations like my Mercedes Benz and Jeep Grand Cherokee and have positive remote post and no negative post doesn't really make since to have one as but if that what you want its your build so go right ahead
    Last edited by herb fraser; 01-02-2019 at 10:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with Herb on this one, considering where the battery is located. I am still struggling with how to get the battery out if necessary. They say it can be done, but has anyone tired. May need to consider re-location, or hole in the bed. Just saying.

Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by herb fraser View Post
    Thanks for your concern but there are many places to clamp the negative clamp like the engine mount , the ground strap, any of the many bolts, etc. that wont matter if the teeth bite in
    I have always been taught that you connect the dead battery so arching on the negative connect is not a concern

For the so few times that this may happen
    I see no issue, although I might be wrong
    There are many new cars that have remote battery locations like my Mercedes Benz and Jeep Grand Cherokee and have positive remote post and no negative post doesn't really make since to have one as but if that what you want its your build so go right ahead
    Herb-you are 100% correct. rock on!

Arcing is not a concern if the connection is solid before a load is applied anyway.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    from a security standpoint is a live feed to jump ignition a good thing?? or is the hood secured so thieves stay out??
    on my other street rods I have a battry cut off and chain and lock hood down
    last year they tried to get under the hood 2X but give up

Post Thanks / Like
    Used to just touch bumpers, then put the positive jumper cable on the batteries.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Houdini View Post
    from a security standpoint is a live feed to jump ignition a good thing?? or is the hood secured so thieves stay out??
    on my other street rods I have a battry cut off and chain and lock hood down
    last year they tried to get under the hood 2X but give up
    The positive side of the starter is always live anyway

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    Used to just touch bumpers, then put the positive jumper cable on the batteries.
    that was the good old days ! when bumpers were bumpers LOL