Miller Customs

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Hallibrand rims with or without allan key screws?

  1. #1
    Junior Member UpNorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Quebec City
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Hallibrand rims with or without allan key screws?

    Hi all,
    First real build question here.
    So I received my Hallibrand rims and I noticed an allan key hole on the side of the spinners.
    See picture please.
    But no allan screws in the box...
    The question is: Should I have received some allan key screws with them spinners?
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Papa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Parker, CO
    Posts
    1,544
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mine came with the set screws, but I've seen a few posts that recommend against using them as they can damage the threads on the hub and cause the spinners to get stuck. I haven't installed mine yet, so I have no experience either way.
    There are 10 types of people in this world;
    those who understand binary and those who don't.

    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754

  3. #3


    Not a waxer
    Jeff Kleiner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Posts
    3,851
    Post Thanks / Like
    They should have come with the wheels...and if they had the best thing to do is throw 'em away. So at this moment you're right where you need to be

    Jeff

  4. #4
    Junior Member UpNorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Quebec City
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol! Thanks guys!

  5. #5
    Senior Member John Dol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Gorham, ME
    Posts
    936
    Post Thanks / Like
    They should be Allen heads with a nylon tip so they donít damage the threads.

    Jeff why do you say not to put them on?
    I lost mine but bought some at McMaster

    John
    Making progress on the "My Coupe, my way" project.

    http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Fast EZ EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

  6. #6


    Not a waxer
    Jeff Kleiner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Posts
    3,851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Dol View Post
    They should be Allen heads with a nylon tip so they don’t damage the threads.

    Jeff why do you say not to put them on?

    John
    Because I've gotten cars in that have had the threads boogered even when the nylon tipped setscrews were used. When the hub and spinners are installed on the correct side of the car they don't want to loosen (unless you do lots of high speed driving in reverse )

    Jeff

  7. #7
    Papa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Parker, CO
    Posts
    1,544
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to be sure they won't come off and for an authentic look, you can safety wire them on.
    There are 10 types of people in this world;
    those who understand binary and those who don't.

    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    If you want to be sure they won't come off and for an authentic look, you can safety wire them on.
    This is what I plan to do. Not only because I like the look, but because I bought a pair of safety wire pliers for the Wilwood rotor bolts and now I'm in search of what else I can safety wire so these darn pliers aren't a 'one time use' item. As they say, "when you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail." LOL.

  9. Likes P100DHG liked this post
  10. #9
    Top Notch Builder P100DHG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    This is what I plan to do. Not only because I like the look, but because I bought a pair of safety wire pliers for the Wilwood rotor bolts and now I'm in search of what else I can safety wire so these darn pliers aren't a 'one time use' item. As they say, "when you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail." LOL.
    Lol fantastic. I was thinking the same thing.
    Gen 3 65 Coupe - Order Date 8/2018 - Delivery: Jan 2019 - P100DHG 65 Coupe Build Thread

  11. #10
    Senior Member John Dol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Gorham, ME
    Posts
    936
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Because I've gotten cars in that have had the threads boogered even when the nylon tipped setscrews were used. When the hub and spinners are installed on the correct side of the car they don't want to loosen (unless you do lots of high speed driving in reverse )

    Jeff
    Ok good to know, thanks Jeff

    John
    Making progress on the "My Coupe, my way" project.

    http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Fast EZ EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

  12. #11
    East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, Al
    Posts
    1,481
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never installed mine and only put them on hand tight... just make sure you put them on , on the correct sides so they don't loosen as you drive. Make sure you still use anti-seize on the threads as well!
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

    FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

    FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

    FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

    FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

    US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like
    TIP for those who want to use safety wire, get a section of aquarium clear rubber tubing to put over the wire so that the wire does not harm the finish on the wheels or spinner. The reason for the specific aquarium tubing is that it is rubber not vinyl, and it will not deteriorate due to UV .

  14. #13
    Junior Member UpNorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Quebec City
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Derald Rice View Post
    TIP for those who want to use safety wire, get a section of aquarium clear rubber tubing to put over the wire so that the wire does not harm the finish on the wheels or spinner. The reason for the specific aquarium tubing is that it is rubber not vinyl, and it will not deteriorate due to UV .
    Can you please provide a pic of your wire installation for the uneducated like me?
    TIA

  15. #14
    Papa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Parker, CO
    Posts
    1,544
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a picture of a non-pin drive wheel with safety wired spinner.

    There are 10 types of people in this world;
    those who understand binary and those who don't.

    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754

  16. #15
    mburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Punta Gorda FL
    Posts
    288
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would put more slack in the wire. If the spinner starts to loosen, which it never should, the wire would be tight and you’d know there’s an issue.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 stock 1990 EFI 302, T5, 8.8 axle 3:55, PS, Heidts, heat, fresh air vents, Russ Thompson Turn Signal mod, windshield wings FFR front lower control arms, Speedhut gauges, Alex's glovebox, cup holders. charging ports. 70K on the motor and 7,200k on the car.

  17. #16
    Senior Member Dave Howard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    North Bay, Ontario
    Posts
    510
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's lots of discussion about spinners. A few mods oUT there too. I've got a boat load of miles on my Coyote/MkIV and have never had a spinner issue. Mounted on the correct side, the spinners are handtight...not pounded on with a rubber hammer. They are for show only...no function. The supplied set screws have never let me down. AGAIN, don't over do it when you tighten the setscrew. Get a bite and that's enough. I like the looks of safety wire, but don't like the idea of installing new wire every time I take a wheel off.
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

  18. #17
    Senior Member cgundermann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bonney Lake, Washington
    Posts
    783
    Post Thanks / Like
    IF you choose to use the set screws (and I appreciate the logic not to use), the nylon tips on the set screws are not substantial and do fall out. You can simply cut a short bit of neon weed eater nylon and use in lieu of...

    Chris
    MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Flat Irons Tuning

Visit our community sponsor