FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fan sensor PROBLEM SOLVED !!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blocker View Post
    Herb,

Throwing money at an issue isn't the way to go about troubleshooting . . . "I can replace that with a new complete fan relay circuit for $20 , I know that is not the really the right answer but its an easy answer."

Lets get your fuses blowing issue fixed first. Pull ALL the bulbs for brake and turn signal (front & back), disconnect your headlights and try the switch again. IF you blow the fuse again there is a wiring issue that need attention immediately. IF the fuse holds, connect your brake light bulbs and step on the brake pedal - fuse holds? or blows again? Install your turn signal bulbs and try left and right turns - fuse holds or blows again? While you have all the lesser amperage bulbs inserted (correctly) and everything is good-to-go, connect one headlight and turn it on - fuse holds or blows . . . now install the other headlight bulb - fuse blows or holds. Anywhere along this circuit procedure, you will find the fault that is blowing your fuses. The process is to "isolate" the bad device and determine WHY it is causing your fuses to blow.

Once you get these lower current draw devices to work, we can work on your fan circuit . . . which is probably the highest current draw circuit on the car.

FWIW, your fan relay will work with or without the fan connected, and can be tested for "clicking" when you activate the temp sensor or ground the lead to it. If the relay is functioning, the issue may be that the relay isn't passing power to the fan (bad internal contacts?). This can be verified at the relay terminals 87 and 30 . . . 87 should have power when the key is ON, 30 when the relay is activated.

Keep us posted and we will get this fixed for you . . . There is a tremendous amount of talent on this and the other forum . . .

Doc
    Herb,

I like Big Blocker's advice.

It may be worthwhile to temporarily hook up the the lights front and rear and trouble shoot as he suggests. Doing so may also save you from identifying another wiring problem later.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    So tomorrow I will carefully look everything over
    just checked the light switch and it blows the fuse on the first click so can I assume the short in in the parking lites ?

Anyway I really appreciate every bodies impute , Thanks so much !

Hopefully tomorrow is a better day, as I am aware, its all part of the ride !
    Last edited by herb fraser; 01-13-2019 at 06:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Questions:
    What engine are you using? If a Coyote, you shouldn't be wiring through the chassis fuse box, but directly from the coyote control pack. If your're running the coyote fan wire into the chassis fuse box, verify the coyote fuse is also good.... and rewire without going thru the chassis fuse box.
    If you're not using a coyote engine, try adding a ground wire from the engine to the negative battery terminal. Is your ground stray from the engine to the frame connected (and paint removed under the ground strap to the frame)?
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Herb,

I remember fighting this years ago on my MKIV with RF harness. I think I had to swap something in the fuse box. I just cant remember. I checked my notes but couldnt find it. Does this help? Check out post 34

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...-wiring-2.html
    MKIV #7619 complete kit IRS, 351 TKO 500, Delivered 11/13/2011
    First start 12/31/2011
    Gocart 01/12/2012
    completed tags/title 05/11/2012
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-Graduate-7619

Post Thanks / Like
    Found it! This is what I had to do:

The relay that comes with the RF harness has the fan being turned on by a dash switch. The dash switch, orange wire, goes to the 85 relay terminal. The thermo switch lead, green, goes to the 86 terminal. I just swapped these in the fuse box and wired the orange switch wire to a guage feed behind the dash.

This let me use the thermo switch supplied by ffr as a ground type switch, and the RF harness without an extra relay. This seems cleaner than running seperate wires. I can easily wire in an overide with in the thermo wire.

From: https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...is-wiring.html
    MKIV #7619 complete kit IRS, 351 TKO 500, Delivered 11/13/2011
    First start 12/31/2011
    Gocart 01/12/2012
    completed tags/title 05/11/2012
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-Graduate-7619

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by emac View Post
    Found it! This is what I had to do:

The relay that comes with the RF harness has the fan being turned on by a dash switch. The dash switch, orange wire, goes to the 85 relay terminal. The thermo switch lead, green, goes to the 86 terminal. I just swapped these in the fuse box and wired the orange switch wire to a guage feed behind the dash.

This let me use the thermo switch supplied by ffr as a ground type switch, and the RF harness without an extra relay. This seems cleaner than running seperate wires. I can easily wire in an overide with in the thermo wire.

From: https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...is-wiring.html
    Thanks ! will give it a try

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky2009 View Post
    Questions:
    What engine are you using? If a Coyote, you shouldn't be wiring through the chassis fuse box, but directly from the coyote control pack. If your're running the coyote fan wire into the chassis fuse box, verify the coyote fuse is also good.... and rewire without going thru the chassis fuse box.
    If you're not using a coyote engine, try adding a ground wire from the engine to the negative battery terminal. Is your ground stray from the engine to the frame connected (and paint removed under the ground strap to the frame)?
    using a small block chevy . and yes the grounds are fine

Post Thanks / Like
    regarding the light fuse blowing, make sure you plate light wiring isn't touching anything. Also unplug the harness going to the dash to eliminate the dash lights as a problem.
    As far as the fan goes, flip the fuse box over and look at the back of the relay socket. There should be 1 or 2 green wires going to the same spade. These are your grounds to turn on the relay. There is a large blue wire that goes out to the fuse and then to the fan. Then there should be a large blue or possible red wire opposite the blue wire. That is where your problem is. This wire opposite the blue one may also have a jumper going opposite the green wires. That wire powers the relay. You need to figure out where that wire goes. either to the ignition side of the ignition switch or directly to the battery via the large red power wire. Can you take a close up pic of the back of your fuse block?
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    PROBLEM SPLVED ! Not sure why its fixed , but taking advise form all you great guys , this morning I looked over all the wiring ran lots of your recommended tests. So then I unplugged each and every plug blew air into them plugged it all back together and whammo !
    EVERYTHING IS WORKING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lights, fan, horn , and fan relay
    SO thanks again for ALL of your help and patience!
    I am thinking that maybe there was a small piece of metal somewhere shorting out the harness or God knows what it was !
    But anyway today is a GOOD DAY !!!

10. Likes cgundermann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very good. As I say, "Nothing is impossible. Unless I do it myself."
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

12. Likes herb fraser liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you're back in business.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep simple fix thanks to you guys

Post Thanks / Like
    It probably had something to do with the Brand X engine you are using!
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankb View Post
    It probably had something to do with the Brand X engine you are using!
    Funny LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by herb fraser View Post
    PROBLEM SPLVED ! Not sure why its fixed , but taking advise form all you great guys , this morning I looked over all the wiring ran lots of your recommended tests. So then I unplugged each and every plug blew air into them plugged it all back together and whammo !
    EVERYTHING IS WORKING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lights, fan, horn , and fan relay
    SO thanks again for ALL of your help and patience!
    I am thinking that maybe there was a small piece of metal somewhere shorting out the harness or God knows what it was !
    But anyway today is a GOOD DAY !!!
    Fantastic!

Sounds like a short or bad connection somewhere.

Problem solve and then more problem solving That's what these builds are - gotta love it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12