BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: IRS driveline adapter.

Post Thanks / Like

IRS driveline adapter.

Anyone have issues with this adaptor? I just went to torque down my driveline and had the last (of course) bolt pull the threads out. I'm torquing them to 80 ftlbs like the manual says. I went in stages across all four and on the last one it spun as I put the last bit of torque on it. Seems the metal is soft on these. I'm a little pissed because I am about to send the car out for paint but that's how these projects go.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the torque for those is 40 ft/lbs. Are you talking about the drive shaft yoke to 3rd member adapter plate? Also, the 4 bolts that go into the differential may be too long and will bottom out and not pull the plate up tight unless you shorten the bolts just a little.

IMG_1474.JPG
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 01-12-2019 at 01:17 PM.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    The bolts for the plate to the diff are 40. The bolts for the driveline to the adapter are 80 and I have triple checked the length of bolts to make sure I was using the shorter ones sent by factory five. This is the one I stripped out unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dthquazi View Post
    The bolts for the plate to the diff are 40. The bolts for the drive-line to the adapter are 80 and I have triple checked the length of bolts to make sure I was using the shorter ones sent by factory five. This is the one I stripped out unfortunately.
    So FYI, the "shorter" ones that I received from FF were still too long... But I did just double check and confirmed your numbers are correct. 41 and 80. Reach out to FF and I'm pretty sure they can help you get another adapter plate... Also, just to be sure, you are using the correct bolts. There have been others that have a metric bolt in an non-metric hole... and visa-versa... Those bolts/plate should not strip out if you have the correct bolt in there... Just a thought to double check!

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    That's good to know. I know i was using a 5/16 hex in it and was using the 4 supplied shorter bolts since I taped them to the plate when I got them and compared them to the normally supplied ones. I will reach out on Monday. Thanks.