Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 1994 SN5 Valve Cover Search

Someday Is Today !
    Post Thanks / Like

1994 SN5 Valve Cover Search

Hi All. So my biggest regret on this mK4 build is choosing a 94 donor for numerous reasons. I'm in too deep now to turn back... Anyway, I'm almost ready to drop the engine in, but I've spent literally hours online including the FFR forums, and just can't seem to find straight answers on a set of valve covers that will fit my 1994 stock 5.0L EFI engine.
    Besides plain chrome OEMs that are available, I'd love feedback, options or links or photos of covers that will clear both the intake and the alternator.
    In reality, it doesn't matter to me if it says Cobra, or Powered by Ford or Ford Racing, etc.
    Also, if someone can chime in on the difference between the 87-93 & 94/95 intakes, and secondly the alternator location which apparently is set back on the 94/95?
    Any help is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    These are stock 87-93 aluminum, valve covers on a 94 engine. Oil fill is a little tight but works. We are running a 87-93 Trick Flow Track Heat intake with a 94/95 intake elbow. As for the alternator, we ran the stock mount (with the tensioner re-clocked) until rebuild of the motor a couple years ago (I'll see if I can dig up a picture of that). At rebuild time we changed the front timing cover to the 87-93 and went with a Summit Racing Alternator mounting kit.

20190113_123329 by i.e.427, on Flickr

20190113_123338 by i.e.427, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a '95 302. From what I understand, the valve covers will fit '87-95. This is because the block of the '95 is the same as all of the other years. The difference between the 87-93 years and the 94/95 years are the front dress of the engine. Under the advice of Mark Dougherty, I changed the front of my 302 to have the 87-'93 configuration. This included the timing cover, water pump, and pulley system. The pulleys did need to change because the water pump of the '87-93 stuck out farther than the '94/'95 pump. I purchased a pulley set that included a crankshaft pulley, waterpump pulley and power steering pulley. I was able to reuse the alternator pulley, but purchased an aftermarket alternator bracket that bolts onto the new water pump. I purchased an edelbrock rpm intake that could fit all the years '87-'95. Because the block is the same for all the years, the head bolts are the same. There are a couple of smog ports in the back of the heads that need to be filled if you're switching to carb intake. But the valve covers are the same.

Hope this helps. I stayed with my donor 302 and am very happy with the results. You can always switch later on if you're not happy.

Pics Here
    Dave

20170429_135113 by D. R., on Flickr

20170226_160847 by D. R., on Flickr
    Last edited by DadofThree; 01-13-2019 at 09:43 PM.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Someday Is Today !
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, what a wealth of information. Thank you!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the follow up picture I promised. Shows the drive belt, with the stock alt bracket, and the tensioner reclocked to provide tension against the belt to turn the water pump. Only had to do it this way because we weren't running power steering. You could also use the alternate drive pulley assembly from F5R and get the stock alt bracket to work.

First Cobra Engine by i.e.427, on Flickr
    Last edited by i.e.427; 01-17-2019 at 06:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You really aren't going to find too much in VCs for your engine. You can change the look some but the intake doesn't give much extra space at all. Also, the 94-95 was a two year engine. So there are a lot of aftermarket manufacturers who decided to ignore two model years. It was not viable to spend R&D $ for a two year application. Many listings go 79-93 for one number and 96+ for another number. As I understand it Ford also used the engine in Explorers and, to fit it in, they needed to make it shorter. So they designed the front dress for the Explorer and simply used the same thing for the Mustang. Even for them, a separate two year design for Mustang sales volume vs Explorer sales wasn't worth it. OTOH, the engine works fine. Some use stock brackets that they cut off all extraneous material from. Others find something they can modify. A lot of the aftermarket brackets use long spacer sleeves for mounting alt and PS pumps so it's not real hard to shorten the spacers to use on your 94-95.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.