BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Gen 3 Coyote Crate Motor First Start

Post Thanks / Like

Gen 3 Coyote Crate Motor First Start

I documented this is in my Gen 3 Coupe build. But a pretty big deal (at least I think it is…) so will post a new thread in the Roadster area which seems to get the most traffic. Today finished the last details before first start, so went for it. No particular surprises really. Put fuel in the tank for the first time. Nearly all of a 5 gallon can and shows a little under 1/4 full on the gauge. Good. Took a bit to get the Aeromotive regulator set. Needs to be 65 PSI, according to the Ford instructions, for the Gen 3 Coyote. The short bursts of the fuel pump when turning the key to run was taking a long time and didn't seem to tell me much. So just hot wired the fuel pump so it would run continuously with the key off (clip lead into the RF fuse panel) and that worked. The regulator was way off and I would probably never have gotten it set without doing it that way. Checked all the fuel lines and connections and no signs of any leaks. With that, no more excuses. So set the camera on a tripod, had a fire extinguisher nearby and cranked away. It didn't jump to life like my previous Coyote. But still started and all good. Had immediate oil pressure and tach reading. Plus voltage jumped up a bit so the alternator was working. Some smoke off the new headers, but that cleared. After the first 1 minute or so run, stopped and looked everything over. No sign of any leaks or any issues. Ran it a few more times. Subsequent starts were nearly instant like I'm used to. Water temp gauge and cooling fan work. Since the rear wheels were off the ground, ran the transmission through a couple gears. All good, and the reverse lockout module is working properly. These aren't the greatest videos, but you get the idea. The last video, with the engine at temp, hit it harder a couple times. It sounds angry. I have temporary Roadster side pipes on it right now. BTW, the first video is the real deal. Actually is the very first attempt to start. No camera tricks.

https://youtu.be/4ytnm8CV5ZQ

https://youtu.be/aESV65nw4ok

https://youtu.be/6ZqzZrdcMSY

https://youtu.be/LY6-IUp3na8

A few summary words about the Gen 3 Coyote for those that may not be familiar. It’s a new release with the 2018 Mustang GT. Rated at 460 HP and 420 lb.-ft. of torque. Many sources indicate these are very conservative ratings. The differences are widely documented, so won’t go into that here. But quite significant. There are still Gen 2 Coyote crate motors available, but eventually those will be gone and this will be the remaining option for a new Coyote crate. Between the engine and the control pack, roughly a $1500 price bump. So does come with a premium. For our purposes, this is what I’ve learned based on my installation to date:

- Dimensionally, it’s the same as the previous Coyotes. Motor mounts, exhaust headers, bell housing, all the same. Previous parts used all still fit, including the starter, alternator, KRC power steering, A/C compressor, Moroso oil pan. Not the pickup though. See below.

- The control pack has some differences. New Bosch PCM that’s a bit larger and mounts differently. Harnesses are slightly different. But following the Ford Performance instructions it’s all pretty straightforward. The PDB and accelerator module are the same. Only one clutch switch (bottom) like later version Gen 2's.

- The Gen 3 Coyote uses a dual mass flywheel that isn’t compatible with our usual bell housings or TKO/T56 transmissions. The provided flywheel needs to be removed and replaced with a previous version Coyote flywheel plus a pilot bearing in the crank. Either the stock nodular version flywheel or Ford Performance has an upgraded billet steel version. Usual clutches.

- The throttle body is the same size, but points up at a slightly higher angle. The previous CAI's recommended by Factory Five (Spectre and Treadstone Performance Engineering) may require some fine tuning. I used Treadstone parts in my Coupe build.

- One of the bigger surprises is the inlet to the oil pump is completely different. Moroso is supposed to be offering a new version that’s compatible. I ended up grafting the pickup end from the previous version Moroso to a newly released part from Modular Motorsports. I’m sure there will be better options in the future, if not already.

- The CMCV plumbing is different (again) but it’s an easy connection to a vacuum port on the front of the engine. Detailed in my build thread.

- The new Gen 3 engine cover isn’t great, and people will be looking for options. I still am. Because of the added plumbing and related for the direct injection (DI), it’s no longer possible to use coil covers.

Those are the main things I can think of at the moment.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

2. Thanks 65 Cobra Dude thanked for this post
    Likes Paul2STL, 65 Cobra Dude liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Another Award Winner Just Came To Life!
    Congratulations Paul!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wow Paul, it sounds awesome and mean at the same time!!!

Great work,

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Wheels off the ground going through the gears....judges what do we think, does that count as a go cart ride?

Great job Paul.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul,

Congrats, sounds great. When are you going to try the coupe sidepipes? I think you indicated this test was with other pipes.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds great, Paul! First starts are always worthy of note. And why would you start it over and over again? To paraphrase 2bking, "just because"!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on this milestone, it sounds fantastic!!
    MK4 Roadster #9138
    Blueprint 427 with Sniper EFI, TKO600, IRS, complete kit
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the first start, Paul!
    MKIV Complete Kit #9494 l Delivered 1/5/19 l First Start 11/28/20 l First Go-kart 4/11/21 l Carb'd 347 l Mid-shift TKO600 l 3.55 IRS l P/S l Forte Mechanical Throttle Linkage l RT Turn Signal, Drop Trunk l Breeze Upper/Lower Radiator Support, Fan Shroud l Boig Upper/Lower Cool Tubes & Quiet Pipes l 18" FFR Gasser Wheels l Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Paul!
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds great Paul. Another trend started!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1855 View Post
    Paul,

Congrats, sounds great. When are you going to try the coupe sidepipes? I think you indicated this test was with other pipes.

Jim
    Thanks everyone. Appreciate the encouragement. Jim, stay tuned regarding the side pipes.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    The ease and stability of starting and idling right off the bat is amazing. Sounds great. Congrats.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019