Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wiring Harness/GPS Gauges/EFI Engine

Post Thanks / Like

Wiring Harness/GPS Gauges/EFI Engine

I'm about to start the wiring harness part of my build and trying to understand my needs and layout my dash. Any help will be appreciated. I have the Factory Five wiring harness supplied with their complete kit, FFR GPS gauges and the 347 small block Ford engine with EFI from Blueprint. I also have the Russ Thompson turn signal system. As I understand it, the GPS gauges with the turn signal and high beam indicator lights built in to the speedometer will operate using the FFR wiring harness. The Russ Thompson turn signal system is to be integrated to make those lights operational. The push button on the end of the turn signal stem is used for flash to pass and to turn the high beams on and off. I also understand that the Blueprint engine with EFI will control the cooling fan and FFR says this is the best option. If this is correct, I will not need to use the turn signal and high beam indicator lights that FFR provided nor will I need to use a cooling fan override switch. Does this sound right? So on my dash, in addition to all the provided gauges, I will have the horn, ignition, lights, wipers and hazard switch. I also assume that I will need an indicator light that will act as the check engine light? Is there anything else absolutely required that I am overlooking? What about options/upgrades that you highly recommend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Randy,

That's a lot of questions all at once! I've done my car with BPE's 347 and EFI, so I can assist with the EFI wiring. I have no experience with the Russ Thompson turn signal setup, so I'll leave that for others to help with. There is no check engine function provided with the EFI computer, so I'll be no help there either.

I assume, please tell me otherwise, that your BPE provided EFI is the Holley Sniper? If so, this is very easy to get wired up.

1. Run the main power (red) and ground (black) wires directly to the battery
    2. Connect the pink keyed +12v wire to any +12v keyed source (must have +12v when key is on and when cranking)
    3. Connect the blue fuel pump control wire to your fuel pump (+) wire (I did this by de-pinning the fuel pump wire in the dash harness)
    4. Connect the fan control (light blue) wire to one of the two green fan wires available (one near the top of the engine and the other at the bottom of the radiator).
    5. Connect the coil wire (yellow) from the EFI to the (-) post on the coil
    6. Connect your (+) post on the coil to any +12v keyed wire (typically the EFI/COIL (orange) wire in the RF harness)
    7. Re wire the inertia switch to be in-line with the fuel pump ground wire (I still need to do this)
    8. Install the CTS (if BPE didn't already do it) and connect the CTS plug from the EFI to the sensor

The fuel pump connections can be done as I've described, or in many other ways, including splicing into the fuel pump wiring at the fuse block. You'll need to decide how you want to make these connections, but as long as you have the control wire from the EFI driving the pump, you'll be good to go. I also de-pinned the output plug of the EFI harness down to just the single fan control wire.

I originally had the FAST XFI Street system installed, but BPE replaced it with the Holley after I started having issues. The swap is documented starting at post #618 in my build thread:

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post338577

Let me know if I can help answer any other questions you have on the EFI install.

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 01-14-2019 at 08:38 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Your check engine light will depend upon what EFI engine management system you are using and will operate wired directly into that system and independent from the RF wiring. I have a Pro-M Racing EFI computer and wired in a dash LED check engine light directly to that system. I do not believe most single port/carb style EFI systems use check engine lights, but rather have a hand held detachable small tablet to read/change values.

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know anything about the EFI system you're using, but Dave addressed that. For the easy part -- the Russ Thompson turn signal and related -- I can. Don't overthink it. For the turn signals, the RT assembly exactly duplicates the schematic in the RF harness instructions. It's a simple two way switch that's electrically the same as the dash switch Factory Five includes in their kit. The center terminal is power. Then left and right wires that are powered when the stalk is moved. The LED's in the Speedhut gauges have their own leads and attach into the wiring the same as the loose indicator lights. Again, same as the schematic.

Now for the little harder part. You say the button is for low/high beam and flash to pass. Yes, it can be used for that and many do. But the standard RF harness doesn't support that. The kit has a dash mounted switch, and the headlight power is switched between low and high beams by moving the switch. In order to use the pushbutton and add flash to pass, requires relays and added wiring. Russ includes a couple samples with his turn signal assembly. Check those out and you can decide what you want to do. Many keep it simple and just use the dash mounted switch for low and high beams and then use the pushbutton on the stalk for the horn. That's doesn't require anything additional since the horn circuit already has a relay in the RF fuse panel. The pushbutton just replaces the dash mounted horn button.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Many thanks gentlemen! I'm always impressed by the help that forum members willingly provide.

Dave, I did ask a lot of questions! Yes, I do have the Holley Sniper EFI. Thanks for the help with the wiring. So, I do not need a check engine light?

Edward, I want to keep it simple so I will make my stem button my horn and will add a dash switch for high/low beams. In looking over the instructions that came with the turn signal system I thought I had no choice but to wire it with the flash to pass and high/low beam setup. I was not looking forward to adding the relays, etc.

Chris, I did receive the small plug in display with the Holley Sniper EFI system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep - No check engine light for the Sniper. The small display shows you all the vitals and allows you to tune the system to your liking.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread