FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: RHD 33 hot rod build with Edelbrock supercharged Coyote engine

Post Thanks / Like

RHD 33 hot rod build with Edelbrock supercharged Coyote engine

About time I posted some build stuff, couple of other nutters out there putting supercharged engines in their builds might get some ideas from what I did.

I'm based on New Zealand, right hand drive, like Australia and UK. NZ also has strict safety rules for custom builds, couple of major design flaws in the hot rod from safety point of view.

To start with, here are some pics of my supercharged engine, showing the fitment.

Basically, I removed the thermostat housing, made a bracket to mount the alternator in its place, and used extra radiator pipes to plumb up the thermostat housing remote from the engine.

I am not using a low temp radiator, instead I am using a heat exchanger that runs off the A/C system. I bought one called "KillerChiller". Nice guy runs the shop, however the design has major flaws and is not complaint with auto A/C regulations here. Anyway this has a much smaller footprint and the whole lot fits in the engine bay no problem.

20181222_115009 (Medium).jpg

This shows the relocated thermostat housing bolted to the bottom of the engine bay, and the alternator mount bracket. One more hose attaches just in front of the alternator and goes to the radiator top hose. Rad bottom hose just disappears down past the steering rack.

20180816_200413 (Medium).jpg

Side view with radiator hoses labelled.

20180328_182450-Medium.jpg

View of alternator mount bracket from inside. "Thermostat housing eliminator" from Jegs is attached to water pump outlet, and another machined flat is mounted to the back of the relocated housing.

20190104_163409 (Medium) 2.jpg

This is the modified killerchiller heat exchanger unit, this is small enough to sit just under my LHS engine mount. (RHD steering rack, A/C compressor is other side). Could put this anywhere really.

20190104_180403 (Medium).jpg

Heat exchanger is mounted here.

With help from local auto A/C guru have designed a full dual circuit A/C plumbing / wiring setup that is robust and compliant. Has two solenoid valves in the cabin and HE liquid lines and proper TXV/thermostat control of the HE AC coolant flow.

If anybody has questions or wants more details let me know, I will add to this as I can. Working on a build blog but not ready yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the great information. I am also planning a supercharged Coyote.

Wibby