Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Upper steering shaft

Post Thanks / Like

Upper steering shaft

My upper steering shaft is quite hard to get in. Looking at others, they seem to be a lot easier than mine. I am having to mallet mine in. I have to hit it fairly hard so I stopped to see if this is common. I am using the Russ Thompson signal set up and all the the bearings and what not are loose. I have checked the shaft for burrs but it is smooth. Keep going to get it in?

Post Thanks / Like
    So the upper is hard to get in to the lower column, or are you talking about the upper, going through the top bearing?

I don't recall my upper being extremely tight fitting going in to the lower, but it may have taken a little persuasion. As to fitting through the upper bearing, that was not an issue at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dthquazi View Post
    My upper steering shaft is quite hard to get in. Looking at others, they seem to be a lot easier than mine. I am having to mallet mine in. I have to hit it fairly hard so I stopped to see if this is common. I am using the Russ Thompson signal set up and all the the bearings and what not are loose. I have checked the shaft for burrs but it is smooth. Keep going to get it in?
    grease that sucker, and be sure that the washers haven't slipped out of position. I wouldn't force it, as you may need to get it back out one day.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, don't force it that much. It can be a tight fit. But if you're hammering it in, something is wrong. And as stated, you won't have a good time getting it back out. Check it for straightness, no burrs or whatever, and clean it up if it's rusty. Add some lube as suggested. If it still won't go in with only reasonable force, call Factory Five. Others have reported they will replace them.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

5. Thanks jrcuz thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had the exact same issue and FFR replaced it.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine was the same. I took a hand held belt sander and polished it down. Still needed a dead blow to get it in. I did add anti seize, used the 2 washers and added 2 set screws.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Same here. Had ffr replace the bearing because it was 8 thousandths smaller than the upper shaft. Still didn’t go. I lightly grinded the inside of the bearing and grease. That finally worked.