Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Custom Seat Brackets

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Custom Seat Brackets

So, I'm working a solution for mounting my Corbeau A4 seats and this is what I've come up with: Seat Bracket Assembly.JPG

In the current design, the mounting tabs will bolt/rivnut into the floor crossbars. All the parts will be made with a waterjet.

My Goals:
    • Bolt in
      • So it's easily removable, replaceable, and able to be modified in case I get different seats or decide to change it.

• Low profile
      • Attempting to keep the seat base as low as possible.

• Seating Position
      • I want some rearward rake to the seat bottoms like most production cars have.

• Accommodates my Sparco seat sliders for the driver's seat and direct mount for the passenger seat.

Anyone else create custom bolt-in mounts that accommodate sliders?

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you considered ease of installation? Accessing those rear bolts might be challenging when the seat is in place because there just isn't much room to get in there. I bolted my seats in from the bottom (below the car) with button head bolts and fender washers, on the top side, the brackets have welded on nuts so I don't have to reach in there.

3. Thanks lsfourwheeler thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I found that with the Sparco sliders on Sparco seats, that all fit well bolted to/through the cross tube at the rear. At the front I put a 1.25 square tube across the frame/under the sliders for tilt. I would not use riv-nuts for seat mounting. I don't know about your seats, but with mine there is <1/4" clearance (pre-carpet) from the tunnel and side wall to the tilt levers, so get your (centered) location right!
    818S #332, EZ30R H6, California licensed 01/2019

5. Thanks lsfourwheeler thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Have you considered ease of installation? Accessing those rear bolts might be challenging when the seat is in place because there just isn't much room to get in there. I bolted my seats in from the bottom (below the car) with button head bolts and fender washers, on the top side, the brackets have welded on nuts so I don't have to reach in there.
    Yeah, the access to the rear I was unsure about. I made this design but haven't given a closer look at the mounting points yet to see if they'll work with the seat in place. I could modify the mounts to bolt through the bottom of the car if I needed. I would just require a couple extra bends and welded sides onto the brackets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lsfourwheeler View Post
    Yeah, the access to the rear I was unsure about. I made this design but haven't given a closer look at the mounting points yet to see if they'll work with the seat in place. I could modify the mounts to bolt through the bottom of the car if I needed. I would just require a couple extra bends and welded sides onto the brackets.
    I welded the nuts onto the brakets for my seat.. Makes it a ton easier to get the bolts in..

8. Likes lsfourwheeler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here's the second version of my seat bracket design. This time it bolts through the floor cross tubes vertically rather than horizontally.

Another thing the first design didn't consider is that in order to have the seat centered in the cockpit. It actually has to be an asymmetrical mounting design due to the way the cross tubes are. So I modeled the 818 floor tubes in order to check the fitment as I designed the bracket (note that "centered" in the seating area of the 818 is 2.5" offset from the center of the crosstubes).

This design should be easier to install and I made it so the same part works on both sides of the car, although the inside front mount does have to be different from the outside mount.

Seat Bracket V2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I cut out the brackets with the waterjet- engineering college resources are great!- and all I have to do now is weld the front square pieces together and see if they fit in the car/on the seats.

Not pictured is the brackets after I gave the ends 6 degree bends to make it like the CAD design.

MVIMG_20190205_135101.jpgMVIMG_20190205_140227.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The driver's seat is in! The bracket fit great, just had to add two washers to the back where the slider mounts to give some extra clearance to the base. Hopefully the passenger side will be a similar story.
    MVIMG_20190309_201256.jpg