Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dumb question for the painters..

Post Thanks / Like

Dumb question for the painters..

Have you guys ever painted one of these cars to look old, faded, with a certain amount of patina, maybe even primer showing through on wheel arches, or the nose? I love the vintage weathered look and would be less inclined to worry about chips and such. Any info or even pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike
    Mark IV 7923 arrived 11-14-12
    DOHC 4.6L, Tremec 3650, 3 Link 8.8 w/3.73

Post Thanks / Like
    Years ago I did one (no pics). Did the 33 metal body for FFR Barret Jackson a couple years ago....and funny you should ask. I have (my own) 289 that I will be doing it too only I'm going way past old and patina...da bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff, do tell, what is way past old and patina? I'm very curious.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I wondered about this before also but in a slightly different direction to guide the patina or paint wear based on what the older cars look like in the vintage racing pictures.

I thought “hmm, is it possible to first paint or coat the body with a coating that looks like bare aluminum? If the paint chips off of it, would the silver base look like it’s an aluminum body underneath?” I started thinking about Metal Morphous and their aluminizing process thinking that, because the body is getting coated with real aluminum, the same challenges exist with paint adhering to the aluminum as anything else made out of aluminum that gets painted. So, could a fiberglass body get aluminized in common chip-prone areas, then painted with top-coat that could get chipped off to expose the aluminum underneath? I was thinking the areas to do this to would be around the nose opening, around the wheel arches, just behind the doors (where spats normally get mounted), and at the top of the windshield on Coupes. Predictable patina? Thoughts?
    George T

Type 65 Coupe #338, Picked Up 4-Aug-07, Roller on 8-Mar-09, 1st start 8-Sep-13, 1st Autocross 7-Oct-18, finished sanding & sprayed paint myself 6-Nov-21, IRS/LCA/Koni/traditional gages/Kirkey/pin-drive rear width/15" Torq-Thrust Ds/44IDFs/Brodix ST5.0R heads/Eagle internal-balance crankshaft/oil pan by Armando/home-made turkey pan/S-10 mid-shift T5

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 3yearplan View Post
    Jeff, do tell, what is way past old and patina? I'm very curious.

Mike
    It's a SECRET! You would only know it if you visited the bat cave!

Post Thanks / Like
    what is way past old and patina?

hero returns.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    WRECKED is way past old patina...

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob-STL- The bat cave is in a far, far away land, from me anyway. Jeff, WRECKED is definitely way past old patina. I don't want to go that far. GThompson, I like the thought process, predictable patina. I've been looking at old pictures and too planning what areas would be worn down. I was thinking of doing weathered, old paint look, but with a very low satin finish or something along those lines to keep it smooth and easy to wash and maintain. My friends and family are NOT on board with this decision. Luckily for me there is only one vote that counts, the guy writing the check.

Mike