FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Western Australia - Type 65 Coupe

Post Thanks / Like

Western Australia - Type 65 Coupe

Hi Guys,

Looking at pulling the trigger on a Gen 3 65 Coupe to bring over to Western Australia and road register.

Overall Game plan is as follows:
    Gen 3 Coupe
    Blue Print 427 Stage 2 with the TKO 600
    50/50 on 3 link rear end or IRS
    High quality custom interior i.e. alcantara / leather

Overall vibe is to have a grand tourer car to cruise around in on the weekends.

Factory 5 advises they can provide equipment for a RHD model, has anyone gone through the process of road registering a daytona coupe in wa?

Reviewing the ADR ICV regs it looks like I can only have up to 4.3L engine and must be post 1999?

Recall seeing one floating around albany once upon a time, possibly the user is on here?

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Damo,

Not sure about the Type 65, but I've got the '33 Rod and when I ordered, FFR offered a RHD 'option' at no cost. However, this was just to not weld in the pedal box and steering brackets to the chassis. A RHD rack was still up to me to source. I believe FFR are now working towards a complete RHD conversion for the '33. For the Type 65, you'd have to check exactly what "can provide equipment for a RHD model" means with FFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Damo 69 View Post

Reviewing the ADR ICV regs it looks like I can only have up to 4.3L engine and must be post 1999?

Cheers,
    Hi Damo,
    The recommendation is weight dependent. The capacity multiplier in in the Australian version changes from 4.0 x mass under 1,100kg to 5.0 x mass over 1,100kg for naturally aspirated motors.(https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicl...jan2011_v3.pdf). Note however this may be different for WA. If the national VRB applies, you could build your type 65 with a mass of 1101kg and install up to a 5.5l engine, Coyote perhaps.
    427 ~ 7l, so your type 65 would need to weigh 1,400kg+ to comply. Note however that there is an emissions ADR that applies to ICV's. The easiest way to meet this requirement is to install an engine that comply's with current emissions regulations, I.e. a current production engine. If you were thinking of a small block or big block 427, you're going to be up against it.

Also note that the multiplier reduces for forced induction motors, so the corvette Z06 or FPV supercharged engines are going to be a headache.

Finally, the above capacity limits are a 'recommendation' within the VSB. your certifying engineer will have the final say on what's permissible.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Damo.
    There is a Type 65 Coupe in WA, actually two (at least) have been built here. One by a guy named Ricky, lives in Perth. He sold it recently but it is still in Perth.
    Tim
    FFR MkIV #7393 - LS3, TR6060, 8.8" - Registered 2015 - Painted 2019
    HSV Clubsport R8
    Kwaka ZX-14R

Post Thanks / Like
    There are 2 I know in WA, both in Perth. The coupe is owned by Paul and has one of my 408 small blocks and Geoff that has a roadster with a 347. There are some hoops but it is doable.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jethrow View Post
    Hi Damo.
    There is a Type 65 Coupe in WA, actually two (at least) have been built here. One by a guy named Ricky, lives in Perth. He sold it recently but it is still in Perth.
    What engineer did they use for Rego?, I spotted one at cars and coffee the other day but the owner wasn't around.