Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: New York State Registration

Post Thanks / Like

New York State Registration

As I wrap up the registration, I thought I would give a detailed list of the steps. While not particularly difficult, it is a process.

1. Contact NYS Technical Services Division 518-474-5282 (select option #4) Mark Shimkus is the Manager. I had good interaction with eveyone I talked to. Request the registration package.

2. In the package is a form that you complete with all the information on the car. Requires all the DOT/SAE numbers of the lenses/lights, windshield, tires. Description of the vehicle (1965 Cobra Roadster Replica) and description for the engine. For the engine you list the application year of the motor. If you are using a Coyote or have questions, please message me directly and have a few specific tips. prefer not not to list out in "Forum" land.

3. Get the vehicle weighed with a ceertified weight slip. I used a scale a truck stop. (CATS)

4. You will need photos of the car. Front, back, left, right, interior

5. Copies of the Certificate of Orgin for Factory Five and copies of all major receipts. It was easy for me as I had bought the complete kit and the engine and transmission from Mike Forte. These two invoices plus the invoice for the tires is all I sent in.

6. Some particular items for NYS. You need a padded dash. The thin padding that comes with the dash meests the requirements. You need padded sun visors. A sock slid over them and tie wrapped on meets the requirement. You need a defroster. I did the heater defroster option, but have been told that a 12v plug in hair dryer lying on the dash in the picture will meet the requirement. You need wipers. I did the wiper option, but have been told a hand operated clip on boat wiper will meet the requirement. You need a mirror on the left side of the car. I did not want to drill the fender for the one in the kit, so I submitted with just a mirror in the middle mounted on the windshield. Not accepted. I bought the mirrors from Breeze that mount to the wind wings. (nice units) They were accepted.

7. You also will get a form MV-272.1. This is your application for a VIN number. It goes to a separate department in Albany. Send in the application, $25.00 check, copies of the receipts of all major components, Certificate or Origin from Factory Five and a copy of the weight slip. The weight slip was not called out as needed in the application. You will then get a letter from the Division of Field Investigations with an appointment to have the car inspected. This is not the safety inspection. The inspection is done by the Troopers (they have guns on). They are verifing serial numbers of all the major componets to be sure they are not stolen. When you go for the inspection, they need to see the originals of everything but the weight slip and they stamp them with a special stamp. Easy for me since all items were new. If you used a donor, make sure you have the paperwork in order. I have been told that if they find stolen items they arrest and confiscate on the spot. When the inspection is complete they assign and attach a VIN to the car and give you a completed MV-272.1 This form goes with the other items in 1-6 back to Technical Services Division (Shimkus). For me the inspection location was near me in Rochester, I think they have one in Buffalo, not sure for the rest of the state. This is the same place you take a vehicle that had a salvage title or if it had been totaled and you are trying to get the title switched back so that it can be registered.

8. When the package is complete you will recieve a Form VS-103 from Technical Services. This allows you to get the car registered. The form also requires the car to have a safety inspection "before" it is registerd. The inspection number, station, inspect ID is filled out on the form. The car is registered as a 20XX Custom (year it was completed). Once complete take the package to DMV, pay the sales tax, get your insurance card and get your plates. Easy. LOL

I started the process on 11/5/18 and wrapped it up today. Probably could knock 30 days off this fairly easily if you really pushed at each step.

Please feel to message with questions.
    Chuck Krueger
    MK4 Kit - Picked up 4/5/14, Complete Kit, 3-Link, Wilwood upgrade, Coyote, TKO 500, First Start 7/25/15
    2000 C5
    2003 C5 Z06
    2007 C5 Z06

2. Thanks RocketF85 thanked for this post
    Likes erlihemi, RocketF85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good write-up Chuck!! Thank you!!
    George T

Type 65 Coupe #338, Picked Up 4-Aug-07, Roller on 8-Mar-09, 1st start 8-Sep-13, 1st Autocross 7-Oct-18, finished sanding & sprayed paint myself 6-Nov-21, IRS/LCA/Koni/traditional gages/Kirkey/pin-drive rear width/15" Torq-Thrust Ds/44IDFs/Brodix ST5.0R heads/Eagle internal-balance crankshaft/oil pan by Armando/home-made turkey pan/S-10 mid-shift T5

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow very detailed thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Chuck........ are the quick jacks adequate bumpers for NYS?
    Build#1: MKIV Roadster #9320

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stevant View Post
    Hey Chuck........ are the quick jacks adequate bumpers for NYS?
    Nope quick jacks alone will not work

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ll keep my bumpers until that’s done....
    Build#1: MKIV Roadster #9320

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Chuck for documenting all of this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the great write up. Hopefully, I wil be going through the process in the spring. When you say "For the engine you list the application year of the motor." Do you mean 1965 or the year of the vehicle it came out of, if it was from a salvage vehicle? I want to make sure I don't mess this whole thing up.

Post Thanks / Like
    One more question. Was a reverse light required? I thought it was, but you didn't mention it in your post. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KegMechanic View Post
    One more question. Was a reverse light required? I thought it was, but you didn't mention it in your post. Thanks.
    It is. Many folks use the Mini light. I left you a private message
    Chuck Krueger
    MK4 Kit - Picked up 4/5/14, Complete Kit, 3-Link, Wilwood upgrade, Coyote, TKO 500, First Start 7/25/15
    2000 C5
    2003 C5 Z06
    2007 C5 Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    Chuck - on the NYS reg form may I ask what you put for Application year / Make on your engine? I know Forte uses new blocks but mine was a refurbished one.

Post Thanks / Like
    I labeled my build as a 1965 $helby C0bra. NYS looks at you as the manufacture of your car. I put down I used a 2001 Ford Explorer 302. I'm Upstate, so I only needed a PCV for my emissions. NO cats needed...
    Mark III 4630RD Explorer 302, Holley SA570, FRPP B-cam, 4 to 4's, 3 Link, Bullitt wheels, Baer Brakes, 3.73 gears, HD T-5, I2 wiring, Koni Coilovers, Classic Gauges. Jaguar Racing Green w/ Silver stripes

PM me if you live in Upstate New York. Get added to the "Upstate Cobras" email list. 60+ members!

Post Thanks / Like
    So how does emissions work in NY if your engine is all aluminum V8 and not even a Ford?

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless they've changed the rules since I registered 2.5 years ago, quick jacks will pass for bumpers.
    FFR6243RD, MkIII, 3.55, IRS, pin-drive width, carb'd 351W, T5, 1/2 dropped butt, Fortes hydraulic clutch, deep dish AC-III wheels by Team III. 9 year build; NY registered 7/18/2016 - "Sweet 16" winner at 2016 Taconic State Nationals 5 days later ... in 'rough as hell' gel coat for the foreseeable future! Build Blog - Leave me a comment!

Register your car with the Factory Five Cars Rule! mobile app available from the app store

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcdata View Post
    So how does emissions work in NY if your engine is all aluminum V8 and not even a Ford?
    Well, maybe that's NY's discreet way of saying it should be haha

Seriously, they could care less what engine your using as long as you have proper documentation. Here are the step by step instructions on the process. Do yourself a favor and get the package and call the number listed to get your questions answered before you drop $ into an engine.

https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/vs100.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Chuck, Thanks! I'm going to save this thread so I can refer to it when I'm ready. Great detail, thanks again!!!!

I'm hoping to register mine late this year or early next depending on the paint schedule.

Doug S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

NYS car reg

Quote Originally Posted by ckrueger View Post
    It is. Many folks use the Mini light. I left you a private message

On that note, can anyone help out on where I can get the wire pigtail for the Mini backup light? I am talking about the weather proof 2 prong female PLUG that connects to the light itself. I don't even know the part number.
    So far no luck locally or on the Web. Next step is to contact BMW/Mini parts department. I am using the light from the first generation Mini Cooper, R50 / R53.

Any help is appreciated. EK

Post Thanks / Like
    Cut the factory plug off, install a weatherpack fitting?
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Chuck!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one if not using if you want it. I can send you a picture to make sure it is what you need.