As I wrap up the registration, I thought I would give a detailed list of the steps. While not particularly difficult, it is a process.

1. Contact NYS Technical Services Division 518-474-5282 (select option #4) Mark Shimkus is the Manager. I had good interaction with eveyone I talked to. Request the registration package.

2. In the package is a form that you complete with all the information on the car. Requires all the DOT/SAE numbers of the lenses/lights, windshield, tires. Description of the vehicle (1965 Cobra Roadster Replica) and description for the engine. For the engine you list the application year of the motor. If you are using a Coyote or have questions, please message me directly and have a few specific tips. prefer not not to list out in "Forum" land.

3. Get the vehicle weighed with a ceertified weight slip. I used a scale a truck stop. (CATS)

4. You will need photos of the car. Front, back, left, right, interior

5. Copies of the Certificate of Orgin for Factory Five and copies of all major receipts. It was easy for me as I had bought the complete kit and the engine and transmission from Mike Forte. These two invoices plus the invoice for the tires is all I sent in.

6. Some particular items for NYS. You need a padded dash. The thin padding that comes with the dash meests the requirements. You need padded sun visors. A sock slid over them and tie wrapped on meets the requirement. You need a defroster. I did the heater defroster option, but have been told that a 12v plug in hair dryer lying on the dash in the picture will meet the requirement. You need wipers. I did the wiper option, but have been told a hand operated clip on boat wiper will meet the requirement. You need a mirror on the left side of the car. I did not want to drill the fender for the one in the kit, so I submitted with just a mirror in the middle mounted on the windshield. Not accepted. I bought the mirrors from Breeze that mount to the wind wings. (nice units) They were accepted.

7. You also will get a form MV-272.1. This is your application for a VIN number. It goes to a separate department in Albany. Send in the application, $25.00 check, copies of the receipts of all major components, Certificate or Origin from Factory Five and a copy of the weight slip. The weight slip was not called out as needed in the application. You will then get a letter from the Division of Field Investigations with an appointment to have the car inspected. This is not the safety inspection. The inspection is done by the Troopers (they have guns on). They are verifing serial numbers of all the major componets to be sure they are not stolen. When you go for the inspection, they need to see the originals of everything but the weight slip and they stamp them with a special stamp. Easy for me since all items were new. If you used a donor, make sure you have the paperwork in order. I have been told that if they find stolen items they arrest and confiscate on the spot. When the inspection is complete they assign and attach a VIN to the car and give you a completed MV-272.1 This form goes with the other items in 1-6 back to Technical Services Division (Shimkus). For me the inspection location was near me in Rochester, I think they have one in Buffalo, not sure for the rest of the state. This is the same place you take a vehicle that had a salvage title or if it had been totaled and you are trying to get the title switched back so that it can be registered.

8. When the package is complete you will recieve a Form VS-103 from Technical Services. This allows you to get the car registered. The form also requires the car to have a safety inspection "before" it is registerd. The inspection number, station, inspect ID is filled out on the form. The car is registered as a 20XX Custom (year it was completed). Once complete take the package to DMV, pay the sales tax, get your insurance card and get your plates. Easy. LOL

I started the process on 11/5/18 and wrapped it up today. Probably could knock 30 days off this fairly easily if you really pushed at each step.

Please feel to message with questions.