FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: I'm getting the shakes....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm getting the shakes....

The forum is so QUIET!!! No build updates, no assembly issues, no show pics, no wheel/tire size questions, no rants about body asymmetry....

I'm getting the DTs! Someone post quick before I have to go to the '35 forum or >gasp< the roadster forum!
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TxMike64 View Post
    The forum is so QUIET!!! No build updates, no assembly issues, no show pics, no wheel/tire size questions, no rants about body asymmetry....

I'm getting the DTs! Someone post quick before I have to go to the '35 forum or >gasp< the roadster forum!
    ...My thoughts exactly!
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, i have been boxing up the house and moving about 100 feet to what will be my hot rod house & hobby room. After the house is done.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Roadster forum is a nice place to visit.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This is the best I can muster on the MK-4 Roadster front:

https://youtu.be/wOID7yvBRPU
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-17-2019 at 02:58 PM.

6. Likes SingleMaltWSKY, Ducky2009 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some light reading in the meantime?

Build blog on our Type-65.
    https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/

I CANNOT WAIT for the snow to be gone......first drive can't come soon enough.
    Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

8. Likes H R Lucky liked this post
    EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Arrowhead; 01-17-2019 at 03:52 PM.

10. Thanks Mrallsport32 thanked for this post
    Likes JimLev, H R Lucky liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice exhaust Arrowhead.
    What's that big LCD screen ya got there in the dash? Looks nice.

I've been slowly chuggin away doing body/door stuff and powder coating lots of small door/power window parts.
    My correct power window motor assy for the drivers door should be here on Sat.
    Hope to update my build thread soon.
    Just bought a nice IR air saw to replace the crappy Harbor Freight one I've had for way too long.
    Last edited by JimLev; 01-17-2019 at 09:42 PM.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/4L65e, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleMaltWSKY View Post
    Some light reading in the meantime?

Build blog on our Type-65.
    https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/

I CANNOT WAIT for the snow to be gone......first drive can't come soon enough.
    You forgot to attach the song brother:

https://youtu.be/rRZ-IxZ46ng

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    You forgot to attach the song brother:

https://youtu.be/rRZ-IxZ46ng
    LMAO!

Nice.....it's our theme song for sure.
    Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Nice exhaust Arrowhead.
    What's that big LCD screen ya got there in the dash? Looks nice.
    Thanks, still have more to do, but it runs and drive around the yard.

The exhaust is made up of pre bent pieces (mostly left over turnouts I got from people on the forum) all butt welded, ground and polished. This is the second go around for he exhaust, the first time I didn't use stainless wire and the welds rusted. Plus it had to be reconfigured anyway because of some suspension changes. I also changed the muffler clamps over to stainless bands and added the flanges for the rear section.

The screen is actually the Holley digital dash. Pretty awesome unit, totally customizable and not even as expensive as buying the separate gauges I was going to get. Pretty much any output from the Holley HP ECU can be monitored on the screen. Wiring to the ECU is simple too, one wire for the Can buss is all it needs (plus 12v and gnd). I even have it wired up for fuel level and even directional and high beam indicators. Even though I could get speed and RPM through the digital dash, I opted to spring for the Tach and Speedo as I like having the big analog gauges right there in front of me.
    Last edited by Arrowhead; 01-18-2019 at 10:37 AM.

15. Thanks JimLev thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So;
    Which one is better, a 2 post lift or a 4 post lift

That subject is usually good for a couple days worth of discussion, maybe someone will add a new build
    thread by the time that subject tails off. Just trying to be helpful.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    So: Which one is better, a 2 post lift or a 4 post lift
    I'll postulate a 3rd option: Scissor Lift

After seeing them in F5's own assembly shops and seeing a few here on the forums I ordered a scissor lift from Northern Tool. They're touted as portable, but much in the way that a double-wide trailer is portable, at a 1000+ lbs it's not going to move after it gets placed. As I use a wheelchair the posts of a 2 or 4 post lift are in my way. A 4 post lift doesn't lift on the chassis - so I don't see the point. And as I use a wheelchair I'm sitting down anyways so a mid-rise scissor lift gets the car up high enough for me to easily get under. The downsides are: it limits access to the middle underside, and I'll need ramps/boards to drive the '33 on/off.
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TxMike64 View Post
    I'll postulate a 3rd option: Scissor Lift

After seeing them in F5's own assembly shops and seeing a few here on the forums I ordered a scissor lift from Northern Tool. They're touted as portable, but much in the way that a double-wide trailer is portable, at a 1000+ lbs it's not going to move after it gets placed. As I use a wheelchair the posts of a 2 or 4 post lift are in my way. A 4 post lift doesn't lift on the chassis - so I don't see the point. And as I use a wheelchair I'm sitting down anyways so a mid-rise scissor lift gets the car up high enough for me to easily get under. The downsides are: it limits access to the middle underside, and I'll need ramps/boards to drive the '33 on/off.
    2 lifts are better than 1 !! I like the scissor lifts if they are set into the floor. I like 4 post lifts with the wheels to move them over a bay. I saved a guy from getting seriously injured or killed while working under a 2 post. Car faired very badly. I like my quick jack for throwing in the pick up. I have the 12V 5000lb version. It runs on a motorcycle battery that fit on the pump frame. I like 2 post lifts, but, some people and some floors shouldn't have them... Car Trailers with an open bottom work well also... I cant recommend pulling one set of wheels up on the trailer and taking the ramps off though. Brings back nightmares and my shoulder starts aching.
    I did find something that works well if you need or like to sit while working on stuff out of the car. Harbor Freight sells a motorcycle platform lift that goes on sale cheap occasionally. Its a light scissor style you can drag around when its not loaded. It has a platform about 30" X 60" and you can lift it about 3 feet. I build my engines and transmissions on it. It will handle one complete engine and tranny. Good for differential set up also. If you put a thick piece of plywood on it would make a great variable height work bench. You can roll stuff on to it or use a wide leg engine hoist.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with your comment about no one posting. I have posted questions a few times this month. I started feeling like I must be "Mechanically Challenged" as I thought with
    1000 Kits out there, I am one of few who asked questions!?!?!?! Thought I better slow down, or change my name :>) I got my Engine and Trans in a couple weeks ago thanks
    to the help of JOP33. I am an Eagles Fan, and was not watching him closely!!! Better double check some things :>)20190109_164953.jpg
    FFR Hot Rod #1106

Post Thanks / Like
    Larry, chassis with engine looks excellent.
    Keep asking questions, it helps most of us learn something if we don't know the answer to your question.

My FedEx shipment from FF that was to be here today didn't show, now it says Tuesday, ugh.
    Pat's fan here, lived in MA until 2 years ago. Getting past KC tomorrow will be tough.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Germany for the next 4-weeks working. Lots of time in the Hotel to look through older posts. Making my checklist for when I get home. My FFR New Generation Body is due when I return. I bought Dan's (IRS) Hard Top. Quality looks excellent. Hope everything fits. Still have Steering Joints back-ordered. Can't understand why FFR has this stuff back-ordered for months???? When I get home, it's>>Lizard Skin, Fuel Lines, Bleed Brakes and Clutch, Exhaust, and Wire Harness. You all run your Harnesses inside or outside of Floor Pan?? On the Lizard Skin, I read a lot of Guys painting Ceramic after Sound Proof??? Lizard Skin Rep said to paint Ceramic for first coat, the Sound Proofing??
    FFR Hot Rod #1106

Post Thanks / Like
    Larry, if you have any spare time and are anywhere near Stuttgart, Porsche has a nice factory tour and museum.
    BMW in Munich has the same. I've been to the Porsche facility, it's worth seeing. The engine assembly floor was the high point of the tour for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MBB Larry View Post
    I'm in Germany for the next 4-weeks working. Lots of time in the Hotel to look through older posts. Making my checklist for when I get home. My FFR New Generation Body is due when I return. I bought Dan's (IRS) Hard Top. Quality looks excellent. Hope everything fits. Still have Steering Joints back-ordered. Can't understand why FFR has this stuff back-ordered for months???? When I get home, it's>>Lizard Skin, Fuel Lines, Bleed Brakes and Clutch, Exhaust, and Wire Harness. You all run your Harnesses inside or outside of Floor Pan?? On the Lizard Skin, I read a lot of Guys painting Ceramic after Sound Proof??? Lizard Skin Rep said to paint Ceramic for first coat, the Sound Proofing??
    Hi Larry. The instructions that came with the Lizard Skin said spray the sound first (two coats) the two coats of ceramic. I hope that's correct since I have finished spraying mine.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MBB Larry View Post

Larry,

Besides your car looking great your garage looks so clean...

On a second note though...

You ordered a second gen body from FFR and the hard top from Dan, have you done any measuring to see if they fit right? Since the new body is wider I would worry that none of the after market stuff would fit right.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Everything I have seen on the Lizard Skin is Sound then Ceramic (had to double-check before commenting though).
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Guys, I lived in Germany for 5-years. Been to almost every Museum except Porsche. BMW twice and went back to Audi Museum again Saturday. Great Museums here! Believe me, my garage is not always like this. Had to clean it up to look for all my missing parts!?!?! I did my Lizard Skin like they said. Ceramic, then Sound on Firewall. Will do the rest when I return.

Tim.... I have tried many times to get more info on the overall dimensions of the new body. I was only told the New Body will fit on my Frame. I "ASSUME" that their original Top would fit??? I do not know. As Forrest Gump said "Like a Box of Chocolates". I am preparing myself mentally for whatever shows up!?!?! My Frame they sent, was the modified one with the lowered entrance. I am sure Dan will be interested as well. So to answer your question, YES, I am worried about what will fit. I also have Dan's 4-Link, Bike Fenders, Console etc. I also bought Tim Whittaker's Dash, and now I get a "Removable Dash". Will see what shows up???
    FFR Hot Rod #1106

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
    Larry,
    On a second note though...

You ordered a second gen body from FFR and the hard top from Dan, have you done any measuring to see if they fit right? Since the new body is wider I would worry that none of the after market stuff would fit right.
    I thought I read that the doors are rounded out more to be thicker, I took that to mean door only which wouldn't affect anything else.
    Let us know how that ends up when you try the new top on it.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Dale, When I get the parts (Body, Doors and Waterfall) I will take some pics and dimensions and post them. I have Dan's Top, Power Windows and Door Locks. In the few photos I
    have seen on the new parts, the Door Hinge Brace also looks totally different. I have no clue what is going to fit???
    FFR Hot Rod #1106

Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully the new door hinge brace will be easier to install than the older one.
    I'm working on the doors right now, kind of a PITA job.
    Not a lot of room in there to assemble the parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Hopefully the new door hinge brace will be easier to install than the older one.
    I'm working on the doors right now, kind of a PITA job.
    Not a lot of room in there to assemble the parts.
    There was a bit of cursing at build school for that part, smaller hands helps...

31. Likes peterh226 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
    George,
    You removed the floor & repainted your frame, didn't like blue anymore? apparently you are doing a major upgrade.
    Are you making any changes to the engine beside the Holley set up?
    looks good,
    Nevin
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky
    33 Hot Rod sn 524 build started 3/18/2013, First Start-5/09/2015, Go Cart-6/01/2015
    5.0 Coyote engine, 9in. Ford rear, 4 Link, Wilwood 12in. front brakes
    AC, power steering, FFR 17/18in. Hot Rod wheels

33. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by H R Lucky View Post
    George,
    You removed the floor & repainted your frame, didn't like blue anymore? apparently you are doing a major upgrade.
    Are you making any changes to the engine beside the Holley set up?
    looks good,
    Nevin
    Thanks and yes, there's pretty much nothing that wasn't touched. I really liked the color of the blue powder coat, but it kind of stuck out with the silver body. I think the grey chassis will compliment the silver a little better. With the raised rear end to clear the oversize tires, the suspension geometry was never quite right so I modified the rear suspension arm brackets on the frame which of course required ruining the power coat for welding anyway so it was a good time for a color change. Short answer on the engine is not really, did up size to 42# injectors though. (Long expensive answer is I had a slight issue which ended up with complete tear down and rebuild for the second time with new rods, pistons, one cylinder head, timing chains and gears, ARP head studs, etc. all good fun!)

Short list of upgrades
    Trans rebuilt by Monster
    Boyd tank and internal EFI pump
    All stainless brake, trans cooler and fuel lines
    Mike Everson's radiator fan shroud
    Raptor liner bottom of floor pans and trunk
    Stainless heat shields over mufflers
    Dynamat and two layers of Dynaliner
    Holly HP EFI and digital dash
    Upgraded vintage Baumann trans controller to thier updated (and smaller) US Shift controller
    Integrated high beam switch into turn signal stalk
    Upgraded Vintage air dash controls
    All new 21 circuit wiring harness to replace the 12 (?) circuit Ron Francis from FFR
    Rebuilt the exhaust to accommodate revised suspension
    Added a sliding rag top

Think that's most of it. The only mechanical thing left is I want to lengthen the drive shaft about an inch. Revising the rear suspension also corrected the pinion angle and centered up the rear axle so the old drive shaft is a bit too short. Of course that was already painted so now I get to do it again.

Thanks for asking,
    George

Whats the status with yours? I haven't been following the forums as close as I used to. Sorry i never got down to see it in person.
    Last edited by Arrowhead; 01-23-2019 at 08:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! sounds like you will have a brand new Hot Rod; all of the upgrades sound good.

The status of my Hot Rod is for lack of a better word: 'Stalled'
    I got it to go cart stage plus a little more and due to my wife's health issues & me getting a part time job, i haven't worked on it since Sept. 2017.
    Things are looking like there might be light at the end of the tunnel now so I should be getting back on it soon.
    When I get it on the road, I will get in touch with you to go for a cruise.
    I guess your daughter is graduated college by now.

P.S. I'd like to know how you got the high beam switch into the turn signal stalk?

later,
    Nevin
    Last edited by H R Lucky; 02-07-2019 at 08:59 PM.
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky
    33 Hot Rod sn 524 build started 3/18/2013, First Start-5/09/2015, Go Cart-6/01/2015
    5.0 Coyote engine, 9in. Ford rear, 4 Link, Wilwood 12in. front brakes
    AC, power steering, FFR 17/18in. Hot Rod wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by H R Lucky View Post
    Wow! sounds like you will have a brand new Hot Rod; all of the upgrades sound good.

The status of my Hot Rod is for lack of a better word: 'Stalled'
    I got it to go cart stage plus a little more and due to my wife's health issues & me getting a part time job, i haven't worked on it since Sept. 2017.
    Things are looking like there might be light at the end of the tunnel now so I should be getting back on it soon.
    When I get it on the road, I will get in touch with you to go for a cruise.
    I guess your daughter is graduated college by now.

P.S. I'd like to know how you got the high beam switch into the turn signal stalk?

later,
    Nevin
    Yes, she graduated and then went on to get her masters at Drexel and has been working locally here for the last almost two years. Yea, hope to be back on the road this summer. Been a while since I've done any cruisin.

You can get a complete kit for the high/low. I just bought the stalk and then found an electrocnic latching relay.

https://www.ididitinc.com/i-25050469...-aluminum.html

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/7553...-State-Relay-/