Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Smoke from the engine bay (?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Smoke from the engine bay (?)

I've hesitated to ask because I'm afraid of the answer/solution.

What I've got:
    I'm running a '93 302 with an aftermarket cam, GT40 heads & GT40 EFI. The motor was rebuilt before I bought it and has about 30k on it now.
    The car was Dyno tuned a couple years ago and the ECU was modified by the tuner.

What I'm observing:
    Occasionally when cruising the backroads and recently even on the hiway, I get a wiff of burning oil and sometimes even see a little smoke. I would notice it after accelerating or a couple hard curves.
    I think what is happening is oil coming out of the dipstick tube tube and hitting the headers. I've seen a burn spot on the top of the headers directly below the dipstick tube (usually burns off shortly) and at the mouth I'm picking up fresh oil too.
    The oil level looks correct and this is the stock pan and dipstick.

What could cause this and what is the resolution?

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by MPTech; 01-18-2019 at 03:46 PM.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope it's something simple. Do you have a remote oil filter set up? If so, check hose clamps and tightness of piece against the block.

If it is the dip stick, maybe Avalanche can offer you an easy solution. I believe he has a locking dipstick because oil blew of his dipstick tube one time.

Good luck!
    Dave
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

3. Thanks MPTech thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DadofThree View Post
    Hope it's something simple. Do you have a remote oil filter set up? If so, check hose clamps and tightness of piece against the block.

If it is the dip stick, maybe Avalanche can offer you an easy solution. I believe he has a locking dipstick because oil blew of his dipstick tube one time.

Good luck!
    Dave
    I hope it's something simple too!
    A friend suggested it may have some blowby, causing pressure in the crankcase and forcing oil out the tube?? That sounds major!

No remote oil filter.
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Geeze, I oil down ONE windshield and now I'm some kinda' bad guy. LOL

Some engines, especially new ones where the rings aren't completely seated, can have a lot of blow-by. All engines have some.

It only takes a drop to make smoke and be able to smell it.

Like Dave said, see if your dipstick has pushed out of the tube. I popped mine out about an inch at 6000rpm and there was so much smoke I thought that I completely blew the engine. The guy behind me had to get the Windex out. The solution is a Lokar Anchor-Tight locking dipstick. Mine goes into the pan (Gordon Levy - Champ road race pan). I had to make a short adapter with tubing to mate them up. Never a problem since.

Do your valve covers have baffles in them? If not, you could be slinging oil at the filler and losing a drop now and then.

How is your PCV system set up? If you are not venting the blowby pressure, it is going to go somewhere. I have a PCV on the passenger side and a Moroso separator on the drivers side.

One more. Do you have power steering? If you are running a Ford style pump, they have the filler tube a a 45* angle and the caps don't really seal. On a hard right at speed, you can sling some fluid. The answer to that one is to get marine fuel filler hose the size of the filler neck. There is a more ridged version that works best. Cut the filler tube about half way down. Put about 10" of hose on, clamp it down to the pump, then put the top part in that has the cap and clamp it down.

Let me know if you want pictures of any or all of the above.

6. Thanks MPTech thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark, buddy, I've already told you how to fix this issue, it's so simple, why don't you want to listen?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Just realized I said "fill" tube in my original post, I meant "dipstick" tube (I editted and corrected the first post).

Wow Avalanche, sounds like you've been down every path. Looks like a thorough list to check.
    I also have a Canton oil pan that I bought 2 years ago, but haven't installed yet. I want to get this figured out before I add a new problem.

Yes, I have a Ford style pump, the lid popped off one time and fluid hit the hot headers and I thought the car was catching fire! I'm familiar with that one. I'll double check it, but I don't think that is an issue.

Meanwhile, I'll check the other items, I haven't checked the PCV since I installed it, so that may be a possible issue.
    I was thinking blow-by meant a rebuild, but maybe there an easier fix!

Thanks Again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    Mark, buddy, I've already told you how to fix this issue, it's so simple, why don't you want to listen?
    Not sure if this is the sincere answer (if yes, I don't remember the solution) or SA reply (replace it with a 331!) I like that answer, but I don't think Ann will give me an advance on my allowance like that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well that's the problem, Ann won't let you fix it. And no it wasn't 331 it was 5.0 coyote. When we get some good weather, lets get it out here and we'll get some eyes on it and see if we locate the source.

11. Thanks MPTech thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    MP: During a recent tune session, I disconnected my PCV valve from the intake manifold to connect a vacuum gauge. I went out for a short drive and experienced the exact situation that you described. I reconnected the PCV valve to manifold vacuum and the issue went away. I will assume that your PCV valve was connected when you experienced your oil smell. If that is the case, your PCV valve is undersized. All PCV valves have a limited bleed rate and yours may be too low to handle the increased blow-by at full throttle, high RPM blasts. There are adjustable PCV valves available to correct this issue like this one: https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...SABEgID0_D_BwE
    They are not cheap, but cleaning oil from your headers is no fun either!
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck!
    Dave
    I can add to this comment. Now that you've run it a while, if you have them, check the plugs in the oil relocate at both the filter end and the block end. I had mine really tight during initial installation, but after a few runs, I've had the same puff of smoke and oil on top of my oil filter and also dripping very slightly from the block end. I literally just tightened up my block in plugs tonight. Hope that helps and it is something as simple as this.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    X2 on the 5.0 coyote. Sorry Mark, didn't have anything else to add.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_G View Post
    X2 on the 5.0 coyote. Sorry Mark, didn't have anything else to add.
    Tony, talked to Mark yesterday, found out the problem--------Ann keeps planning trips and vacations, spending his new engine money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    Tony, talked to Mark yesterday, found out the problem--------Ann keeps planning trips and vacations, spending his new engine money.
    Hahaha..... I hear that. I've got a lot of trips and vacations to pay back to my wife.

Hope he gets it all sorted out.